Your Favourite Cheeses Over The Festive Period

Soldato
@randomshenans you might as well drum up some business :p
I get told off :D

Although if you do it, it's not self promotion. I am sitting down with the team to sort out our selling direct features from producers. It was supposed to be done for Christmas but my home life messed that right up! It'll come soon though :)

For any cheese lovers, would love to know what is important for you to know and if we can get that in the app to help you find it useful! :)

Soldato
For any cheese lovers, would love to know what is important for you to know and if we can get that in the app to help you find it useful!
moreover you are in France - bounty of cheese in Carrefour etc. tete-de-moine, aged mimolette, beaufort would be my predilection
can't believe internet market there would be as strong as UK,
brexit regulations must be killing small UK supplier supply, but maybe you are also dealing with optmising any exports.

Soldato
can't believe internet market there would be as strong as UK,
We actually are focussing on UK market at the moment as I have many UK contacts, so it makes more sense. UK producers have fewer coops than in France, too. The internet market for anything isn't as strong in any market tbh lol
brexit regulations must be killing small UK supplier supply, but maybe you are also dealing with optmising any exports.
It's really messed with UK cheese producers. First they had covid knocking out hospitality (which actually counts for c.70% of cheese producers custom) and now no exports... You can export but the cost and amount is making it very difficult if not through an intermediary, which has it's complications and obviously hits your margins. Hence wanting to try and help producers get customers direct via our app.
Going to grab one of those cheese selection boards soon. Tesco have a few choices. :)
Try and use cheese mongers if you have a local one. They get directly from cheese producers, which means you'll have a great selection of UK producers. Supermarkets are the death of small producers due to their very bullish margins that offer the producers great volume but such little profit margins, as a smaller producer it's death by a thousand papercuts.

Soldato
Yeah I can't get excited by supermarket cheese. I get a basic cheddar on our weekly shop but I'm a 5min walk away from a proper cheese shop and deli so I'll just go in, have a natter and come out £40 lighter with a nice selection. It does annoy me they get so busy for Christmas though, flippin' cheese tourists :rolleyes:

Soldato
Yeah I can't get excited by supermarket cheese. I get a basic cheddar on our weekly shop but I'm a 5min walk away from a proper cheese shop and deli so I'll just go in, have a natter and come out £40 lighter with a nice selection. It does annoy me they get so busy for Christmas though, flippin' cheese tourists :rolleyes:

I guess it depends. Waitrose and Booths seem to both stock a good variety of local cheese (especially Booths but you southern pansies don't get them down there :p)

This is where it's at though. £20 for a much better selection than a supermarket
https://picklesofpreston.co.uk/collections/small-cheese-board/products/cheese-wheel-on-foil-base

Soldato
I guess it depends. Waitrose and Booths seem to both stock a good variety of local cheese (especially Booths but you southern pansies don't get them down there :p)
Well my girlfriend is from Yorkshire so I have experienced Booths. Isn't it for northerners that aspire to be upper-middle class? ;)

For some reason I thought the OP had mentioned Tescos. Anyway, I think we're all in agreement that a local deli/indie is better if you actually want some interesting cheese. Any no, a mild cheddar with random things/fruit/chilli/etc chucked in does not count. Bleurgh! :(

(Sidenote, my deli stocks a truffled pecorino which is amazing. Not suited to an after-dinner cheeseboard but wonderful with salamis/ham/olives etc. An aperitif cheese I like to call it)

Soldato
Ha pretty much.

Sadly i've moved a bit further away now so have to resort to the Waitrose down the road rather than the 15 minute drive to Booths. I remember they used to have a wine sale where it was 33% off on 3 bottles, but included absolutely everything, so stuff like Louis Roederer worked out at ~£20 a bottle. Sadly they started putting restrictions on that :(

Soldato
20quid louis, I'd be buying a **** ton!! lol It's like 38EUR here at the moment, can't seem to get it anywhere cheaper. Maybe online it'd be better.

If none of you have tried Mont D'Or it's a must if you like ooozy cheeses!

Soldato
OP
Soldato
I know inflation has hit everyone the past year but has anyone else found cheese gone up by quite a bit? (20%+)
As for OP's question, there's 4 that are our staples. Mature cheddar, brie, blue/stilton and a spicy cheese (usually cheddar but not always).

Back
Top Bottom