Nasty Accident?

Soldato
Poor guy :) .

Article:
"Bomb squad called to Gloucestershire Royal Hospital after man gets WWII mortar stuck up his bottom"

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co....mb-squad-called-gloucestershire-royal-6298076

Hahaha, I thought my sister was fibbing about this last night (she works at the hospital in question) - but I see not :D

Aparently they couldn't operate, as it was a 'live round' (initially thought to be a. 50 cal) - they had to give the guy laxatives, so he could pass it in the sluice room, and then promptly left of is own accord.

Reckons there were about 10 bomb disposal guys, and several police cars too - guess they all fancied a chuckle, as it seems overkill to me.

That's a girthy round he took lol

Man of Honour
I'm imagining a conversation along these lines:

From the scene: "A single small shell from WW2 has been discovered. It's about 2 inches thick and about 7 inches long."
Bomb Squad: "Make sure nobody goes near it and we'll send a team out immediately to do a controlled explosion."
From the scene: "...neither of those things will be possible in this situation..."

Caporegime
I once dated a doctor who told me similar stories. You wouldn’t believe how often people present to hospital having had the misfortune to fall on all manner of bulbous objects which just happened to be liberally smothered in lubricant, and whilst the person just happened to be naked, resulting it it lodging in their anus. What are the odds? Fascinating.

Same here. She told me about a whole action man doll and a beer bottle (which smashed while inside :eek:)

Soldato
We used to joke that 60mm mortar rounds resembled buttplugs, so I can understand how the guy's confusion may have arisen...

Hahaha, I thought my sister was fibbing about this last night (she works at the hospital in question) - but I see not :D
Aparently they couldn't operate, as it was a 'live round' (initially thought to be a. 50 cal) - they had to give the guy laxatives, so he could pass it in the sluice room, and then promptly left of is own accord.
Big difference between this and a little .50, though...

Soldato
You don't say....
It's almost like Nurses aren't weapons experts :rolleyes:
They know, or have watched enough TV, to have at least heard of a .50 cal though... or is everything an AK47, like it was in early 90s tabloid articles?
Besides, I learned long ago not to underestimate the knowledge of nurses like that!

Man of Honour
They know, or have watched enough TV, to have at least heard of a .50 cal though... or is everything an AK47, like it was in early 90s tabloid articles?
Besides, I learned long ago not to underestimate the knowledge of nurses like that!

Heard of it, probably. Be able to identify it on sight, rather less likely. At least not in the UK. I think a lot of people in the UK would have very little idea about the size of ammunition. Besides, the story will have filtered through a reporter who's likely to be completely ignorant of the subject and quick scribbling without checking anything is how news is done nowadays. The number 50 was mentioned, so that's "50 cal", right? Yeah, must be, write that down.

I think nowadays everything is an assault rifle. Even though it appears hardly anyone knows what that phrase actually means and hardly any of the guns referred to as assault rifles actually are assault rifles. But hey, the truth doesn't matter in reporting. Only views matter.

Soldato
Heard of it, probably. Be able to identify it on sight, rather less likely. At least not in the UK. I think a lot of people in the UK would have very little idea about the size of ammunition.
But with all the stuff on TV and the like, most would at least know the difference between a little .50 cal 'bullet' and a massive great 60mm mortar round... although reading the article, I think there may have been further confusion over the difference between an actual mortar round and a standard cased artillery shell anyway, since there is no 57mm mortar round that I've ever heard of, and that is now being perpetuated across the various media outlets like an incestuous STD.
Normally not that much of a factor and just media talking ********, but in the case of mortar rounds (which this appears not to have been, anyway) and just my morbid curiosity as to how you'd get the damn thing out safely, a live one would have different implications on whether you could operate or not compared to an artillery shell.

Besides, the story will have filtered through a reporter who's likely to be completely ignorant of the subject and quick scribbling without checking anything is how news is done nowadays. The number 50 was mentioned, so that's "50 cal", right? Yeah, must be, write that down.
I thought this was, via a sister who works there, from the nurses' direct? That's what the assertion implies.

Back
Top Bottom