Anyone flown Qantas direct to OZ?

Soldato
Longest I've done I think is 10 hours - there is something especially mundane once you get beyond a certain point - without getting some sleep in there 17 hours wouldn't be fun. Personally I can't sleep on a plane.

Been lucky so far and on the longer flights got seats at the front of sections so extra leg room - makes a huge difference. I struggle a bit with dehydration on longer flights as well.

Last flight I did to New York was about 7 hours overnight. I think we left JFK about 10-11pm. I can't sleep on planes either so stayed up the whole night. Landed in Heathrow and felt as rough as anything. Almost threw up on the tube.

Man of Honour
Last flight I did to New York was about 7 hours overnight. I think we left JFK about 10-11pm. I can't sleep on planes either so stayed up the whole night. Landed in Heathrow and felt as rough as anything. Almost threw up on the tube.

I've always found coming West to East is definitely worse - one time I just slept like 16 hours straight after getting home.

Soldato
As per title, anyone done this flight in economy class?

Wondering how you found the 17 odd hours and was economy decent enough?

Ta for any advice!

I've done the 17 hours to Auckland a few times - it was bad enough in Emirates Business tbh. A380 economy long haul isn't that terrible - when I fly to Aus I normally do econ to Dubai then Business Dubai to Aus, it's a decent split. Do they do 777 on that route? Avoid at all costs if they do - it's like having people scream in your ears for 17 hours, horrific.

Soldato
Done 14 hours Dubai > Sydney when I was 21 and wasn't too bad, but would definitely go premium/business these days.

My partner is doing London > Darwin end of January in Economy to go home for the first time in two years, remind me and i'll report back her findings! :D

Soldato
OP
Done 14 hours Dubai > Sydney when I was 21 and wasn't too bad, but would definitely go premium/business these days.

My partner is doing London > Darwin end of January in Economy to go home for the first time in two years, remind me and i'll report back her findings! :D

Oh that would be amazing. She must be happy now that the rules have finally been relaxed! The 17 hr flight sounds like such a slog, but there's something appealing about getting on a plane in London and then waking up in OZ, but that's all dependent on whether I sleep or not!

I'm going one way as I am emigrating for good so I think I can bear a bad flight knowing it'll be me my last long one for a while.

Is your partner doing economy? I found a few seats at the back of the 787-9 that they use that appear to be decent! I read that the economy premium seats give you more leg room but reduced width.

Stopover in a country I've never been to before does sound really nice though. Going to have a big think today guys! Thanks very much for all the info!

Soldato
Oh that would be amazing. She must be happy now that the rules have finally been relaxed! The 17 hr flight sounds like such a slog, but there's something appealing about getting on a plane in London and then waking up in OZ, but that's all dependent on whether I sleep or not!

I'm going one way as I am emigrating for good so I think I can bear a bad flight knowing it'll be me my last long one for a while.

Is your partner doing economy? I found a few seats at the back of the 787-9 that they use that appear to be decent! I read that the economy premium seats give you more leg room but reduced width.

Stopover in a country I've never been to before does sound really nice though. Going to have a big think today guys! Thanks very much for all the info!
Having done something similar, if its one way go premium economy and get an aisle seat. If you can get a direct flight definitely do it, as layovers sound good but for me its just prolonging the agony of just wanting to get to your ultimate destination.

Ipad loaded with movies is a must as well :)

Caporegime
Longest i've done is 13 hours to LA with a slight delay, for me it's all dependant on how well you can sleep on a plane and how much room you have to move about. I can fall asleep easily on planes so as long as I don't have a stopover I can kill time.

A quick google suggests it's still a lengthy journey from Singapore to Aus, although it depends what side of Aus. If it's your first time and you've never been to Singapore I'd do the stopover, maybe factor in some time to explore, have a bite, stretch your legs, and maybe clean up at a lounge (they're good value for money I find if you're on a lengthy journey).

If the direct flight meant I got an extra day or so then it's a no brainer and I'd pick it every time.

To enter Singapore from the UK, without quarantine, at least before this new variant came about 2 weeks ago, you need to.

1 - Fly on a dedicated VTL, Vaccinated Travel Lane.
2 - Fully vaccinated.
3 - Fill in a 3 day Prior Health Declaration Form
4 - 48hr or less PCR test
5 - Travel insurance with Covid Cover
6 - Apply for a VTL Pass
7 - Arrival PCR test (£80)
8 - Book a hotel to isolate until you receive PCR test result. The hotel name and address will be needed in the VTL application form.
9 - Install the Singapore Track and Trace app

So I don't think it's really worthwhile to do that as a stop-over at this point in time. I am not sure on the rules to enter Oz but you might need more forms and paperwork as you are now technically coming from Singapore too.

VTL Lanes at the moment are only operated by Singapore Airlines, I don't think Qantas actually do them. On my departure flight I was in a 777, but an A350 (or 380) on the way back.

Caporegime
How was the A350? Should have felt significantly different to a usual long haul?

Not that much, except there is an upstairs and a 3-4-3 config. The flight was like 10% full. In fact had i gone for Premium Eco I wouldn't have been able to lift the arm rest up to lay flat.

Terrible photos as I had been at the airport for like 10 hours at this point...long story!

The last 3 rows on the bottom left of the plane are fenced off in case they need it for a sick passenger. All pillows and blankets are now stored on the overhead compartment rather than laid on the seats.

The amenity kit (sick bag, small sanitiser, face mask) and earphones are NOT laid out at each seats as before. They are all on a trolley just before boarding, you pick what you want. There is also bottled water to take. This is for Singapore Airline.

jYrsj1v.png

o8iaoJk.png

Soldato
I've done 25 hours of flying twice when going to Fiji, 12 hours London to Hong Kong, 1 hour transfer then another 13 hours Hong Kong to Fiji, that absolutely battered me for a few days upon arrival and return.

Soldato
I used to travel a fair bit between here and Aus due to family/gf. I think some of this is down to plane and where you can sit but I would hate to be on a plane for more than 8 hours honestly. For even a split leg I would pay a bit extra if you can and secure an emergency exit seat, it makes all the difference being able to move your legs. I remember one xmas on Virgin the check-in staff were feeling generous and gave me it for free so you may get lucky.

I'd rather get out and stretch my legs in Singapore, than sit in economy for 17 hours.
yep Singapore is a great stop.

Caporegime
I've done 25 hours of flying twice when going to Fiji, 12 hours London to Hong Kong, 1 hour transfer then another 13 hours Hong Kong to Fiji, that absolutely battered me for a few days upon arrival and return.

That's brutal....Oz/NZ is on my bucket list so i will do that journey at some point.

The longest/hardest journey I made in a single trip was probably Taiwan to Hong Kong for a connection from Hong Kong to LHR.

The trip started off with a 6am arrival at the airport after a wedding with drinks the night before (thankfully I was only a guest)..so was still up until 3am, I can’t remember the time but I remember being at the lounge at 6am eating beef noodle soup at around 6:30am.

It was a 2 hr from Taiwan to HK, then a 3hr layover then 12hr back. When I got back at about 8-9pm UK time I had to drop a friend off in Birmingham before driving back to Herefordshire. I think I got home at 1am and then got up for work at 8 next morning! I distinctly remember my friends posted pictures in an WhatsApp group with them swimming in the river the day after and I was suffering at work.

All done in Economy, the key to surviving that is to pick an aisle seat, so we sat opposite side on the aisle to each other. Lounge access thanks to Priority Pass is also a welcome relief so we get to sit down in sofas, free food and drinks in the airports.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom