Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021, Yas Island - Race 22

Rate the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten. If you want. I can’t be arsed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
It's not the stewards interpreting the rules, it's the race director. The same chap every weekend. So he's changing how he interprets them each weekend.

And he just decided to interpret them completely differently to any point that he's done it since he took over in 2019...

It's not even based on any interpretation. He literally just made up his own rule.

Soldato
Ham should have given place back on first lap too.
Given what place back? Hamilton was in the lead, Max done his usual and sent it up the inside, braked to just stay in the white lines (probably learned from previous incidents as they kept bringing this up!) and forced Hamilton wide while they were alongside. At no point had Max overtaken him.

Soldato
I do wonder if F1 will start to die in the UK in 2024 if it is taken to a subscription service only separate to Sky. I hadn’t realised the push worldwide they have made to bring on their own subscription service.

I just dream that mclaren will be able to challenge next year. Failing that a three way fight would be amazing if Ferrari could up their game.

Doubt it, very exciting UK drivers in F1 up and coming, if anything this season will attract more viewers.

But we definitely need more than just two teams fighting for the championship next year.

Soldato
I do wonder if F1 will start to die in the UK in 2024 if it is taken to a subscription service only separate to Sky. I hadn’t realised the push worldwide they have made to bring on their own subscription service.

I just dream that mclaren will be able to challenge next year. Failing that a three way fight would be amazing if Ferrari could up their game.

Not going to lie, i can see RB dominance incoming for the forseable future seeing as they already have the best aero guy and now have also bought a massive chunk of Mercedes engine personnel including the top man... Hopefully i'm wrong though..

As a side note i also don't want to hear any bs from Verstappen when the shoe is on the other foot and he's dominating everyone in a superior car. :o

Soldato
The race director now writes the script. As I’ve said many times over the last few years, it’s become increasingly like WWE since the Americans took over.

They have effectively gave the RD god mode powers, and its the same RD every race, not like football where is a bunch of different referees.

Soldato
I used to love F1 back in the 80s and 90s, then it got more and more boring when it came down to pit strategies. But seeing how many Hamilton fan's are moaning about a fix and my first thought is, "did they think the same thing any time Hamilton benefited from these kind of decisions?".

My guess is no.

Soldato
I really hope Merc pull out of F1 now.. I know it will screw Russell and the peoples jobs but to race like that isn't racing at all..

I want Lewis to retire, he is a huge pull on the sport. Wouldnt blame Merc for leaving either, unless a miracle happens, the FIA admit they messed up and Masi goes I am done with the sport.

I expect though they will continue next year as if they done nothing wrong.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
General use of the safety car and the way it works isn't unfair; its just as much part of the sport as anything else is; its the luck of the draw; not defending how it was used at the end of this race but in general terms you take your luck with a safety car (or VSC)

I understand and accept that it is a part of the sport and applies to everyone so is fair in that regard, but if you have a 1s lead or a 20 minute lead it doesn't matter and that is unfair as the effect is disproportionately applied. VSC is a far more fair situation as it preserves the delta. In fact, given that the VSC exists the SC is only actually needed in situations where the cars need to be taken on an unusual path eg through the pits. I'd be 100% OK with there being no more safety car - VSC straight to red flag if the situation was more serious and with a rolling restart afterwards.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I just looked at 15.3 and it does say overriding authority, however it also mentions a clerk and my interpretation is that the director has authority over the clerk rather than authority over the entire set of rules, it clearly states in the same paragraph that the clerk cannot give orders on the following matters without the director's agreement, so to me thats what the authority means.
So in regards to the FIA decision, it doesnt look stupid, as the rules are written badly in a vague way that it can be interpreted in that way, but it is my opinion that was not the original intention when the rules were written.
So given its not clear cut and its open to interpretation then yes I think CAS could easily take a different view.

Here is the quote.
Reading that I see any appeal failing, however they could question why only some cars were allowed to unlap, why the SC didn’t complete the full lap before coming in and why it needed to be different to any other occasion where they’ve finished a race under a SC.

Having that rule otherwise says the race director could effectively allow anything he sees fit.

RBs allowed to unlap themselves if they’re a lap down, but no one else.
Alpine to race the SC 0-100, winner buys the beers.
Only 3rd gear allowed whilst passing the SC on the left.

Such a catch all reg is open for massive abuse.

Soldato
I used to love F1 back in the 80s and 90s, then it got more and more boring when it came down to pit strategies. But seeing how many Hamilton fan's are moaning about a fix and my first thought is, "did they think the same thing any time Hamilton benefited from these kind of decisions?".

My guess is no.

I have followed F1 since mid 1990s, and this is the first time I have seen a clear breach of rules by the racing director.

What are these kind of decisions are you referring to?

Also for me this is more about the sport becoming a scripted showdown rather than a sport. They wanted a showbiz ending, hence the manipulation.

Associate

My guess is no.

No offense but you have a couple of decades of F1 to catch up on before you should be guessing in that case.

Soldato
Masi has to go, I can't see how he can continue after this.. Every call going forward will be questioned, his integrity is gone.

The issue is (well for me anyway, others won't mind) is if Merc don't get it right with the 2022 car questions will be asked by the Mercedes-Benz board if continuing in F1 is right for the company. F1 is already in conflict with the companies direction (all their factories will be powered by renewable energy in a few years etc)

If they aren't fighting at the top and stupidity like today continues there will be those internal who are dead against F1 and their voice will only become louder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom