Police. Can I kick them out my owned home?

Associate
Soldato
Look at Sarah Everard as a perfect example of why your post is correct. The police, knowing that if we refused they couldn't come in, dealt with it in such a way that you feel rushed and half asleep so don't think but just let them in.

Eh? Is she going to become the new Jean Charles De Menezes for when people feel like randomly dropping a name in order to criticise the police?

Soldato
Section 17 of PACE is the power usually used...

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/60/section/17

For arresting somebody, note the section making reference to officers needing to have reasonable grounds to believe that the person sought is actually on the premises.

Section 117 of PACE is also relavent, in as much as it confers the power for police to use reasonable force in the excercise of their PACE powers, which would include, for example, forcing a door open, if the occupants refused to open it.

Caporegime
I know we could have refused them entry but they were let in voluntarily by the sneaky ways police will act

WTF? They were there to arrest someone no?

You do realise they don’t necessarily need to ask politely and wait for permission in those sorts of circumstances.

I'm just curious to know, once in, could I have told/forced them to leave?

How would you plan to “force” them to leave when they’re in the middle of an arrest? FFS :D

You could have just asked them to keep the noise down a bit but the fact that you apparently couldn’t bring yourself to do that and instead are grumbling about it online afterwards makes the notion of you forcing them to leave while in the process of detaining and talking to your tenant seems rather comical.

Soldato
OP
You could have just asked them to keep the noise down a bit but the fact that you apparently couldn’t bring yourself to do that and instead are grumbling about it online afterwards makes the notion of you forcing them to leave while in the process of detaining and talking to your tenant seems rather comical

You realise this happened many months ago? Maybe you don't, but the fact that, many many months later, after having a chat talking about that crazy one night we had and a laugh about it all, I, with the least amount of seriousness, said about the way they came upstairs and made the noise, no car of kids/other lodgers/tenants etc, and thought, I wonder if I could have told them to leave and if they would be forced to, or would you be stuck with police once they are in your house. That's an interesting question, I'll see if ocuk lot know the answer. You can refuse entry, this much I know for this situation, but once let in, you can take back the entry allowance.

Imagine all the others concerns were dealt with at the time, I don't need to list them all as why would I, it happened months ago, and was sorted and properly reacted to then. This didn't happen last night. This isn't a "quick to the Internet" moment you brainless lot think it is.

And yes I do know they wouldn't have been able to come in without being let in. Funny how, with my knowledge of the arrest, why, the reason he was home later that same morning, etc, I know they couldn't have come in. But any way, you tell me that they could have big brains.

You asked me how could I have forced them to leave in the middle of the arrest. Have you not read the title of this thread?

Make a post "is it possible to install apple operating system on a pc already with Windows"

Dowie "how do you install apple on a Windows device silly!"

Well yeah, that's the point of the thread.

Soldato
If they aren't wearing proper police helmets then they are not actually in uniform and not only can you refuse them entry, but they have to leave your property and cannot return for 24 hours (even longer if that period ends on a Sunday). If they give you any grief about this point out that you are a freeman on the land and you know your rights and also that you pay their wages. Guaranteed they will be like putty in your hands after this.

:D :D

this made me lol. Excellent post

Caporegime
You realise this happened many months ago? [...] This isn't a "quick to the Internet" moment you brainless lot think it is.

What is the relevance of it happening many months ago? Did I say "quick to the internet"? Nope. I'm not sure you're in a good position to call others brainless here! :D

And yes I do know they wouldn't have been able to come in without being let in. Funny how, with my knowledge of the arrest, why, the reason he was home later that same morning, etc, I know they couldn't have come in. But any way, you tell me that they could have big brains.

They're the police, not vampires FFS! They were there to arrest someone, telling them they can't come in isn't necessarily going to work very well, in fact, it could work out quite badly for you if (for example) they know the person is there and decide to force entry.

You asked me how could I have forced them to leave in the middle of the arrest. Have you not read the title of this thread?

Nope, not quite;

You said: "I'm just curious to know, once in, could I have told/forced them to leave?"

I too am curious "How would you plan to “force” them to leave when they’re in the middle of an arrest?"

The thread title doesn't answer that and reading comprehension isn't your strong point it seems... (nor are basic life skills either after reading this thread). Please do try to force the police to leave next time they're in the middle of arresting a tenant of yours, let us know how it goes! :D

Soldato
OP
telling them they can't come in isn't necessarily going to work very well
OK thanks but why even bring that up. Have you seen the thread title? No one is suggesting to stop police from entry, other than those who can't read.

It's just a general curiosity. If you let the police into your house, based on them simply asking if someone is in, can you then force them to leave?

Soldato
He got the answer as I replied directly to him...

You think if anything that happened with this tenant/lodger that made me think he took the item, I'd not just kick him out and keep £200 from his deposit and no longer be at a loss?
You got refunded so no loss in any case?

The plot thickens

Back
Top Bottom