Road Cycling

Soldato
So it seems my virtual ride this morning didnt count. Will try figure out why but plan is to do 2x1hr sessions a day minimum which will still give me 500km+ in the date range you need to do it in :) Should be about 70-75km a day

Soldato
So it seems my virtual ride this morning didnt count. Will try figure out why but plan is to do 2x1hr sessions a day minimum which will still give me 500km+ in the date range you need to do it in :) Should be about 70-75km a day

Have you made your ride visible to everyone on Strava?

So far there's two of us showing on the OCuk club F500 leaderboard, Paul who is attempting it as stated a few posts up and me, even though I'm not attempting it...

Doing a Mountain Massif TT up half of Alpe Du Zwift at a greater pace than you've done for several weeks on Xmas Eve is not a clever F500 strategy. ;)

Soldato
Same. It may happen but it's unlikely. Done enough years in the past though. Maybe 3 or 4.

Omicron has near enough wrecked rest of my Christmas plans that would have made it unachievable but I'm still not quite motivated enough. Weather doesn't look particularly appetising either.

Yeah weather is pretty grim, although it's quite warm so can usually cope. The thing that keeps me going is CX Nationals second week in January which I use this base as training for, if I didn't have that I don't think I'd really bother!

Rubbish about your booster, had mine wednesday and luckily had 0 issues apart from a bruised arm.

Soldato
Soldato
Yeah I checked that and it is showing for everyone but still not counting.

it is counting towards the monthly Strava 400km though!

edit: going to just record directly to Strava later to see if it records as it is missing power and heart rate so something has gone wrong.

All good though - still going to do the distance anywhoo

Last edited:
Soldato
Rubbish about your booster, had mine wednesday and luckily had 0 issues apart from a bruised arm.

Good to hear. I've mostly heard fairly negative things about the impact. Went on a run with a mate last week the day after and he was struggling a lot after 2 hours running and cut the run short. I've got a long 6 hour trip to the Lakes the day after mine so i'm a little apprehensive!

Soldato
Good to hear. I've mostly heard fairly negative things about the impact. Went on a run with a mate last week the day after and he was struggling a lot after 2 hours running and cut the run short. I've got a long 6 hour trip to the Lakes the day after mine so i'm a little apprehensive!

If it makes you feel better I was absolutely fine after mine. The second jab knocked me about a bit.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Awesome, i've had no ill effects from either of my jabs, bar a slightly sore arm. So fingers crossed!

Same here. I've intentionally avoided exercise the day or two after it but I feel I could do a Z2 ride and have no side effects. Has my booster yesterday so chilling for a few days but only have a slightly sore arm.

I'm enjoying having a Direto this winter even if it's for one ride a week. Critty critty bang bang last week was pretty intense with some handy riders in it.

Soldato
Booster was fine for me too. Took it last Thursday in the hope that would make my Christmas travel plans easier... other various government restrictions wrecked that but oh well. Felt some effects from the first jab and second fine.

Speaking of long climbs in the South Downs. I did something gradual heading North out of Southampton that went on forever the other month. It was just single track roads and involved many road crossings. I'll have to dig it out.

Edit: Think it was this https://www.strava.com/activities/5599880596/analysis/3843/5447

Not saying I recommend it, just it was interesting. It's pretty gradual.

Last edited:
Soldato
Horrible busy old road that @Lethal` but yeah very gradual.

75km today, was hoping to get 90 or so in, but the weather was horrific this afternoon, so just went straight to my parents, luckily not cold whatsoever, but no point forcing miles in. Legs and Power were the best they've felt in a long time, think my body likes the miserable conditions.

Soldato

75km today, was hoping to get 90 or so in, but the weather was horrific this afternoon, so just went straight to my parents, luckily not cold whatsoever, but no point forcing miles in. Legs and Power were the best they've felt in a long time, think my body likes the miserable conditions.

Spot the cross rider. :D

Soldato
Ah! Then I think I included the prior main road in my link. I guess mostly I'm thinking of the section from Fair Oaks to Belmore. It was 99% single track road if I recall correctly.

The Southampton section sucked. I rode to the NF the day before via Winchester. Much better ride really.

Soldato
Ah! Then I think I included the prior main road in my link. I guess mostly I'm thinking of the section from Fair Oaks to Belmore. It was 99% single track road if I recall correctly.

My guess is you're talking about Bigpath Lane, it's a nice scenic singletrack up to Belmore, but like a lot of minor roads around there I swear the surface has deteriorated massively over the last four years I've been heading up there... An increasing amount of them are lanes I actively avoid on the road bike because they are becoming more suitable for wide tyred gravel/cx bikes. I don't often use Bigpath now, much prefering Longwood Dean Lane with its amazingly smooth tarmac (for a minor South Downs lane) and then go over the Milburys pub crossroads towards Kilmeston and Warnford.

Allington Lane from your link can be a nice road to blast on, but around rush hours it can get a bit hostile. These days I much prefer to use Moorgreen Road and either head straight over Snakemoor roundabout to go through outskirts of Durley, or now it's open again, use Burnetts Lane to get to Hortons Heath where I can either head for Mortimers Lane or meander on the very quiet lane complex by the East Horton golf course (Greenwood/Alma/Durley Hall Lane etc.).

What still amazes me to this day, having only ridden north east of Southampton since spring 2017, is how dramatically the traffic level drops off once you reach Hortons Heath or Snakemoor Lane near Durley. There's the odd route through the city and suburbia that escapes the manic motor traffic, but within 15mins of heading north east I can feel myself relaxing.

Soldato
Yes - the surfaces weren't the best but at an easy pace I found them manageable. I doubt I'd include in regular riding if I lived around there.

I was less than relaxed taking the dual carriageways into Southampton from the NF then navigating the industrial estate bike paths along the coast. I was quite glad to be free of the city when I hit Allington Lane area!

Back
Top Bottom