• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

No more AMD driver support for Windows 7 ?

Man of Honour
Were it not for the Aero taskbar and the Win7 Windows explorer, I would have moved to Windows 10 too.

Windows 10 updates implementation as well not to mention how often things get busy in the background of their own accord with 10.

There are many ways Windows 7 is still the superior OS sadly.

I've ended up dual-booting my gaming PC - Windows 7 for when I actually want an OS I can rely on and 10 for when I have no option for playing games :(

Users need to get with the times and move on its a rubbish OS plagued with loop holes and virus.

Did you get mixed up with Windows 10 :p - Windows 10 is plagued by security issues and loop holes including 3 very serious ones in the last month or so (2x privilege escalation, 1x remote code execution) - while there is the advantage with 10 that it gets new security updates a lot of these issues are both not legacy issues and should not have been issues in the first place.

Sad truth is you don't materially gain much of a security advantage moving from 7 to 10.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Win xp explorer was better though

Only things I'd like to see added to the Windows 7 explorer are the advanced file copy/movie dialogues introduced in 8 onwards and an option in the left hand navigation pane for a real time list of currently open and/or recent folders.

That and fix the refresh bug where deleted files don't visually disappear until you manually refresh.

Windows 10's file explorer is a hideous mess.

Associate
7 is getting close to being 13yrs old, and is about to become 3 generation of Windows out of date once 11 is out shortly. 7 is long dead and it's just time to move on, you can't expect manufacturers to keep support going on dead operating systems as it's a waste of resources.

Soldato
I think the problem with moving away from Windows 7 is that historically each new version has always been an upgrade. Even the questionable ones like Vista and Me were at least serviceable and an improvement by their first or second service pack (or in the case of Me, people just went to 2000).

But here we are at the end of 7's extended support and 10 is still a downgrade in just about every single way.

Associate
OP
I am one one of those guys who like old software because newer versions are worse.
I still use Office 2010, Microsoft Calculator Plus! and Frontpage 2003 for Clippit ( and for quick web design for ebay listings )

Man of Honour
7 is getting close to being 13yrs old, and is about to become 3 generation of Windows out of date once 11 is out shortly. 7 is long dead and it's just time to move on, you can't expect manufacturers to keep support going on dead operating systems as it's a waste of resources.

Problem is if you actually need an OS to rely on for quite a range of tasks 10 is not it and 11 seems to be a continuation of many of the bad points of 10 sadly. I don't hang onto 7 on some of my systems for the fun of it.

Soldato
Windows 10 updates implementation as well not to mention how often things get busy in the background of their own accord with 10.

Things never busy in the background when I downloaded and installed Windows 10 updates in my 6 years experience since 2015.

There are many ways Windows 7 is still the superior OS sadly.

Not true!

I've ended up dual-booting my gaming PC - Windows 7 for when I actually want an OS I can rely on and 10 for when I have no option for playing games :(

You will not rely on Windows 7 soon when Nvidia will drop Windows 7 driver support in October 2021 then internet browsers will drop Windows 7 support in January 2022 and anti-virus/internet security software will drop Windows 7 support in July 2022 that will leave Windows 7 full exposed to hackers, ransomwares and viruses. Sadly, you obviously learnt nothing from Sony Pictures hacked and WannaCry ransomware.

Did you get mixed up with Windows 10 :p - Windows 10 is plagued by security issues and loop holes including 3 very serious ones in the last month or so (2x privilege escalation, 1x remote code execution) - while there is the advantage with 10 that it gets new security updates a lot of these issues are both not legacy issues and should not have been issues in the first place.

No he didnt get mixed up with Windows 10, he talked about Windows 7! All Windows versions is plagued by security issues and loop holes, since Windows 7 end of life support back in January 2020, Windows 7 is plagued with 560 security issues and loop holes included 63 very serious issues that cant be updated and patched. Since May 2021 it had 15x privilege escalation and 15x remote code execution. Both Windows 8.1 and 10 has same issues.

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerab...&sha=47d29bad4e41fa72927e93dbd6b6e2cbeefa4e07

Man of Honour
Not true!

File Explorer for one - Windows 10's is a mess of unfinished "great" ideas and generally looks like the product of 1000 monkeys randomly typing things in Visual Studio... Windows 7's is far better other than missing the newer file copy dialogues and they never fixed the file deletion refresh bug.

You will not rely on Windows 7 soon when Nvidia will drop Windows 7 driver support in October 2021 then internet browsers will drop Windows 7 support in January 2022 and anti-virus/internet security software will drop Windows 7 support in July 2022 that will leave Windows 7 full exposed to hackers, ransomwares and viruses. Sadly, you obviously learnt nothing from Sony Pictures hacked and WannaCry ransomware.

That isn't exactly a good thing and doesn't make Windows 10 any less bad for when you need to rely on an OS for some tasks.

Sony attack used phished credentials to log into the Sony Network and deploy a dropper crafted to exploit the network with hardcoded address and credentials - it wasn't specifically a Windows 7 problem - they were already inside the network.

WannaCry despite some headlines about Windows 7 wasn't actually a Windows 7 issue as such - in many cases they exploited a bug in the Windows 10 malware protection engine to actually make it execute the dropper which was the first entry point to many networks, in other cases they exploited where networks had SMB exposed to the world which wasn't necessarily a Windows 7 machine. The main cause of the issue there was vulnerabilities in the SMB protocol.

https://msrc.microsoft.com/update-guide/vulnerability/CVE-2017-11937

No he didnt get mixed up with Windows 10, he talked about Windows 7! All Windows versions is plagued by security issues and loop holes, since Windows 7 end of life support back in January 2020, Windows 7 is plagued with 560 security issues and loop holes included 63 very serious issues that cant be updated and patched. Since May 2021 it had 15x privilege escalation and 15x remote code execution. Both Windows 8.1 and 10 has same issues.

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerab...&sha=47d29bad4e41fa72927e93dbd6b6e2cbeefa4e07

I'm not holding up Windows 7 as a superior security options far from it - but if someone really cares about security 10 is a never end source of new exploits, many of which should never have existed in the first place, often aren't due to legacy code existing in previous OSes and in some cases were being actively exploited. Given how often new serious vulnerabilities are found with 10 many of which should not exist in the first place it is likely there are many more to come yet. The only advantage there is 10 having more active support for closing these vulnerabilities but that doesn't help much if a new one is exploited before it is closed.

Back
Top Bottom