Epic vs steam - have your thoughts changed?

Soldato
Couldn’t care less about either as I use both but only as launchers. I buy games through the respective websites and launch games through Playnite, a frontend that shows my games from all the different stores.

Soldato
Not really directly aimed at Epic launcher, but it's just so annoying having games spread out over so many launchers. I just can't be assed to open them all up regularly to see what I'd like to play. Then games purchased just sit there not played
Steam is the only one that I open on a weekly basis, but it was just the first to be good so has that advantage. Even if Epic matches them feature for feature I will still most likely never have as many games on that platform

It's like the browser wars all over again, but different. Sorry you can't visit this page as it's only allowed to run on Opera. OMG

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not really directly aimed at Epic launcher, but it's just so annoying having games spread out over so many launchers. I just can't be assed to open them all up regularly to see what I'd like to play. Then games purchased just sit there not played
Steam is the only one that I open on a weekly basis, but it was just the first to be good so has that advantage. Even if Epic matches them feature for feature I will still most likely never have as many games on that platform

It's like the browser wars all over again, but different. Sorry you can't visit this page as it's only allowed to run on Opera. OMG
i add all my games too steam (as non steam game) so steam has my entire libary

Soldato

Try using a front end like Playnite. This displays all your games across all the different launchers. This is what I use and I never have to worry about what launcher a game works with as it just start and I can play it.

Soldato
Nah, still haven't made and account and likely will never make one. It's not like Steam are infallible by any means, but I just thoroughly dislike Epic/EGS. I also don't think the platform will survive (it's lost over half a billion in a couple of years). If it's a timed exclusive I'll just wait for Steam or GOG, or just won't play it at all if the hype has gone by the time it does come to another platform.

Soldato
I'll just buy the game where it makes the most sense to buy it these days. Every man and his dog has a launcher these days and it's not going to get any better, I can see lots of developers only selling their games via their launcher, some already do it now.

Associate
I don't trust the the boss [ Tim ] Him and Mark Rein ( The old ceo ) used to talk crap about how the PC was dead back in the old day so why is he trying so hard now, Just for the money me thinks and he wouldn't hesitate to drop it if it turns out to be to much of a loss for them and leave people with nothing.

Soldato
All companies are in it for the money. There stores need to, eventually, make a profit to survive otherwise what's the point in having a store?

I have no problem with Epic. I don't use all of the features on Steam (hell I'm still waiting for accessibility features such as a big font selection on there and that's not been addressed other then editing a config file which gets over written when you upgrade it!) but some, such as Workshop, are nice but then there's always mod managers, etc. if I need it badly. Epic's free games have been amazing. Some great games given away and some I wouldn't have played unless they'd have been given away and it's a great way to encourage people to the store - I can't remember the last time I bought a game on Steam. I have no loyalty to Steam, or any store front, at the end of the day it's just a shop. Why people feel so beholden to it is crazy. I get they made some great games in the day - but they've never finished HL2 (even though it was going to be episodic gaming because it was quicker) and EP2 was about 10-15 years ago and yes the early Steam store used to be a massive pile of crap. It's better now but still missing basic features.

I like GoG personally, the ability to download and store the files and install them on as many PC's as I like is great. I also like them getting old games working without much input and then fixing them up if something is wrong later but it wouldn't stop me buying a game where I was going to get the best deal.

M.

Associate
No gripes with either. Epic are great considering my whole library has been free, around 60 games. Honestly do not understand the hate towards them, trivial 2021 entitlement.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
No gripes with either. Epic are great considering my whole library has been free, around 60 games. Honestly do not understand the hate towards them, trivial 2021 entitlement.
Care to explain why not like them or wanting to install their launcher equal’s entitlement? End of the day each to their own and we do what we like with our money. I do not want another launcher and so refuse to install it, how is that entitled?

Soldato
Downloaded watchdogs 2 from epic games store, it was 34gb, for it then to open Ubisoft launcher and download and install another 27gb. Supposed to only be 27gb ish not 61gb. Probably won’t use it much.

My thoughts have changed. I thought Epic store was going to be a contender for Steam but I have only got one game on there and that was by accident. Looking through the store, I would not buy anything. I have not even opened it in months until now, since I stopped playing WRC9. None of the offers or gifts interest me in the slightest. But I am a fickle one.

Associate
Care to explain why not like them or wanting to install their launcher equal’s entitlement? End of the day each to their own and we do what we like with our money. I do not want another launcher and so refuse to install it, how is that entitled?

Oh no another launcher, how on earth will I cope!

But seriously, I meant it more towards the people that actively spread hate just because they are Epic games.

Back
Top Bottom