New family car time....recommendations?

Soldato
I'm starting a new job and am in the market for a new family car which will be leased by work.

I've currently got a '17-plate Skoda Octavia SE L and I wouldn't want to go for anything with a substantially smaller boot space.

So far I've had a look at the Octavia again, the Mazda 6 Estate and VW Golf Estate - the Golf boot seems far larger than I was expecting as I'd always considered Golf's as being a relatively small car - but in reality the estate model actually has more boot space than the Octavia hatch does!

Does anyone have any recommendations as to other makes/models that I should be looking at?

There will be a budget but it's not been confirmed just yet and at this stage I'm just wanting ideas!

Soldato
Love the Mk5 Mondeo I have at the minute. Can be had as a hatchback or estate.
So far it's been the most reliable and dependable car I've had and easily fits the wife and 2 children in, including the pram and buggy along with everything else.

Soldato
OP
I've had a Mondeo before and for whatever reason I just didn't enjoy it - I honestly couldn't tell you why that was though - I just didn't enjoy driving it as much as I do the Octavia having had one both before and after!

Great car I'm sure but I don't think I'd go back having had that experience before!

Soldato
Fair enough, at the time it was literally the only car that fitted what I wanted. Not many of that style car are hatchback anymore. I actually preferred the Mazda 6 overall but only available as a saloon.
Guess my next car will have to be an estate I think.
I have a Mazda 3 and that's a great car as well just that bit nicer to drive than the Mondeo but not as comfy.

Soldato
If work are leasing it, it'll be a company car for tax purposes in all likelihood.

In that case, BIK is king and EV/PHEV cars should be top of the list.

Man of Honour
Are you feeling ok? Care to expand, no didn't think so... :rolleyes:

He says it will be leased by work - therefore servicing etc is not his concern so the only running cost he will be liable for is fuel. His BIK will be based on co2 which is basically proportional to fuel use and the MG is hardly materially more fuel efficient than the competition.

I therefore don't understand how the apparent lower running costs of the MG are a factor for the OP.

Soldato
He says it will be leased by work - therefore servicing etc is not his concern so the only running cost he will be liable for is fuel. His BIK will be based on co2 which is basically proportional to fuel use and the MG is hardly materially more fuel efficient than the competition.

I therefore don't understand how the apparent lower running costs of the MG are a factor for the OP.

So what you are saying is you just wanted to start another stupid and utterly pointless "I am right 'cause I am Fox" argument, as I am right in any way be that fuel, servicing, BIK, VED, or anything else. I will cost less to run. K, thnx bye.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
So what you are saying is you just wanted to start another stupid and utterly pointless "I am right 'cause I am Fox" argument, as I am right in any way be that fuel, servicing, BIK, VED, or anything else. I will cost less to run. K, thnx bye.
But then he's driving an MG.
Anyway, Fox has a point. Why would running costs (other than fuel & CO2) be relevant on a work lease?

Soldato
But then he's driving an MG.
Anyway, Fox has a point. Why would running costs (other than fuel & CO2) be relevant on a work lease?

I didn't make a specific point to isolate fuel, as I asked a follow up about if this was a budget based on car allowance. Anyhow I really can't be ***** to argue, I made a suggestion and I am not going to derail the thread to get into the finer detail of why spending less, means spending less.

Not sure why you have an issue with MG either.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I didn't make a specific point to isolate fuel, as I asked a follow up about if this was a budget based on car allowance. Anyhow I really can't be ***** to argue, I made a suggestion and I am not going to derail the thread to get into the finer detail of why spending less, means spending less.

Not sure why you have an issue with MG either.
Because they're a bit ****? I'm no fan of Kia/Hyundai but I'd take one of those over the MG every time. Why even shortlist it?
Sure, it's cheap for a reason, but no thx!

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the feedback guys - in all honesty I've got the choice between them leasing a car for me and me just getting an allowance - the latter is preferable but then I do have to factor in my other expenses outside the lease itself (insurance, tax, maintenance etc)

Before even going for the job I'd already signed up for a 2yr personal lease for a Skoda Kodiaq, which I can still stick with although it's not coming until June!

The question was really to see whether I could get something of a reasonable level in budget for them to lease for me rather than hanging on for the Kodiaq - hence the reason I was after suggestions of similar of larger type vehicles.

Fair enough, at the time it was literally the only car that fitted what I wanted. Not many of that style car are hatchback anymore. I actually preferred the Mazda 6 overall but only available as a saloon.

They do now have the Mazda 6 in an estate - I popped to a Mazda place today and saw one which was very nice indeed! (I think they call it a "Tourer")

Soldato
You really ought to figure out what the relative budgets are for them to lease or you to take an allowance.

I prefer taking the allowance for various reasons but taking an EV/PHEV company vehicle is not without merit in a lot of circumstances.

Soldato
if you are thinking golf estate then new vauxhall/stellantis tourer is same size as octavia estate boot wise. - and the opel has the zf (8 speed i guess) gearbox.

I prefer taking the allowance for various reasons
on what basis is taking an allowance financially beneficial if them leasing budget extends into a viable 0%bik bev cars ?
if you were getting a high mileage reembursement ? them leasing has bad pension consequences ?

Soldato
on what basis is taking an allowance financially beneficial if them leasing budget extends into a viable 0%bik bev cars ?
if you were getting a high mileage reembursement ? them leasing has bad pension consequences ?

Because it depends on what they can/will lease, what allowance payment you get, whether there are rules on vehicle provision, what mileage rates get paid (and/or tax relief can be claimed), what tax band you're in, etc.

It's not a simple thing to calculate and impossible to do so without knowing the numbers on either side of the equation.

For my personal circumstances, the company car offering these days wouldn't even stretch to the base VW ID3 unless I added a contribution and only offers 5 manufacturers, so not much in the way of EVs I'd be happy to have. My allowance isn't fortunes but means I can shop in the entire market for exactly what I want, when I want it, chop and change (or keep) as I see fit etc.

This is why the part of my post you cut out is important...

taking an EV/PHEV company vehicle is not without merit in a lot of circumstances.

It's entirely circumstance dependent.

If the circumstances are that a great range of fantastic EV options are available and the allowance is crap, then you'd have to really hate EVs to not get one as a company car.

If the circumstances are that the EV selection is limited and your allowance is very flexible then it's not such an obvious choice.

(note - I don't think any cars are 0% anymore, all 2% from April, not that it makes a huge difference)

Soldato
Because it depends on what they can/will lease,
thanks - yes I subsequently remembered you had previously summarised your equation somewhat -
Bear in mind petrol advisory rate only just dropped to 17p when fuel prices dropped, it's been wobbling between 20p and 22p for years prior. Our company pay the advisory rates for anyone with a company car or car allowance (using 45p/25p regime for those doing sporadic business miles)
My business mileage payments cover my entire fuel expenditure, .....business and personal, due to my vRS only costing me 15-16p per mile in fuel (or more recently a bit less, with lower fuel price). Add in the tax relief I can claim vs the 45p/25p rates because it's my own car not company, that's a bit sweeter again.
I don't think i'd 'make money' on EV mileage payment the same way, then again, my overall fuel bill would be less, so it'd probably even out a bit.

Back
Top Bottom