NVidia DLDSR (Dynamic Super Res+AI) Examples/Thoughts

Soldato
OP
So if I am using a 1440p monitor, what would I be aiming to do?

Not really looked into this all that much but sounds interesting.

well
Game that has DLSS

you could use DLSS to take calculation from 900/1080p and upscale it 1440p (better FPS) than native 1440p little sharper picture

Game without DLSS

you could use DLDSR to render your game at 4K then downscale the picture to 1440p (less fps than above but better picture)

Game with DLSS & Have perf left on your GPU
You could use DLSR+DLSS to render at 4K & use then use DLSS Calculate your DLSS image from 4k render (1440p at Qaulity dlss) to give you a smoother/sharper picture with slighty less fps than native 1440p

Caporegime
This works really well in Battlefront 2, very little performance hit and a huge benefit to visuals due to the lack of any real AA in game. Imagine it's the same for all of the games on that engine although 2042 might see a bigger drop off in performance.

Soldato
DLSS takes a lower resolution image and uses AI to upscale it to your native resolution. DLDSR takes a higher resolution image and uses AI to downscale it to your native resolution.

One has more (DLDSR) pixels to work with and the other has fewer (DLSS) pixels to work with. DLSS helps you get more FPS, DLDSR is useful if you have GPU power to spare and want a better quality image.

DLSS - takes a render image resolution (say 4k) Then renders at a % of that resolution & upscales. DLSS Balanced would rendering at 1080 & upscaling to 4k - Qaulity would be 1440p -> 4K
DSR - does the oppssirte renders at % higher & scales down the image for better visuals

DLDSR DOes DSR but uses AI/Tensor cores to make the image better with less fps impact

This feature is for systems/games that have GPU horsepower to spare, and can afford to render the image at a higher resolution that what your monitor supports (native). The GPU then uses that higher resolution to improve the image quality on your monitor at native without it actually costing the same amount as gaming at that high resolution.

So for example you can game on a 1440p monitor at 1440p using a 4k image resolution (DLDSR 2.25) to improve the native 1440p image without performance dropping by the amount 4k would cause.

I've done this on Doom eternal, and it looks pretty good, and runs over 100fps!

Thank you all for your comprehensive responses, totally clear for me now.

E: Blimey now I read it properly this sounds bloody good.

So another stupid question coming up.
Why buy a 4K monitor if I can use this feature, save money on splashing out on a 4k monitor + higher FPS than running at native 4k = win?

Associate
Thank you all for your comprehensive responses, totally clear for me now.

E: Blimey now I read it properly this sounds bloody good.

So another stupid question coming up.
Why buy a 4K monitor if I can use this feature, save money on splashing out on a 4k monitor + higher FPS than running at native 4k = win?

If you're buying 32" and up then I think 4K is still useful in terms of pixel density.

Associate
Handy feature that i have always used on older games when i have GPU power to spare, as has been mentioned in this thread the performance claim comes from the fact you can render an 8k image for the usage of 6k or there about if your native res is 4k . I can't tell any difference between the new 2.25x DLDSR and the 4x DSR in image quality ( both look stunning ) but can easily notice the performance uplift as game ( DS3 ) will run at 60fps locked rather then 40fps. i posted these screenshots in the original thread but will post them in here as well, you can see how DLDSR & DSR both clean up the image compared to native , have a look around the character belt and around the shield etc and is pretty jagged at native , DLDSR looks perfect and cleans this all up and looks sharp as a knife as can be seen... one other thing to note is vram usage , it will increase as you bump up the resolution 16gb used for x4 ( 8K ) :cry:

4k Native 43% GPU usage

Dark-Souls-III-Screenshot-2022-01-14-16-45-46-56.png

6k 2.25X DLDSR 85% GPU usage

Dark-Souls-III-Screenshot-2022-01-14-16-49-42-94.png

8K 4x DSR 100% GPU usage

Dark-Souls-III-Screenshot-2022-01-14-16-46-17-71.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Wasn't this always a thing? I used to run some nvidia super res option for older games. Such as Castlevania Lords of Shadow? Or is this just an improved feature on that?

EDIT: Just had a look, yea, DSR has been around for years. But I see they added the new options at the top of the drop down. Cool!

Man of Honour
Wasn't this always a thing? I used to run some nvidia super res option for older games. Such as Castlevania Lords of Shadow? Or is this just an improved feature on that?

EDIT: Just had a look, yea, DSR has been around for years. But I see they added the new options at the top of the drop down. Cool!

In theory what this allows is getting the same image quality increase from DSR as before but from rendering a lower amount above your native res which results in less of a performance hit.

Soldato
OP
So how do you turn on the DLDSR in older games ? Is it simple just switching on the DSR?
But that was there from before though?
  1. Go to the NVIDIA Control Panel, under 3D Settings > Manage 3D settings > DSR - Factors. This is set globally, not per game.
  2. Choose between 1.78x or 2.25x. (notice old dsr is called legacy)
  3. After applying the change, you should not have access to a higher resolution option on the desktop and in game e.g. on a 1440p screen, using 2.25x, I now have access to 4K (3840 x 2160).
  4. You don't need to change your desktop resolution, just the game.
  5. Open the game and set it to the new resolution.
  6. Seems to work fine with DLSS.

Soldato
And just to confirm, this will only work if you manually select the new resolution enable in the game?
I.e. it doesnt apply any post processing up-resolution if you run the game at your screens standard resolution?

Associate
And just to confirm, this will only work if you manually select the new resolution enable in the game?
I.e. it doesnt apply any post processing up-resolution if you run the game at your screens standard resolution?

Nope, it only kicks in when you select above native. I posted some instructions and results on the first page.

Back
Top Bottom