Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Soldato
just wanted to thank you again for these! been reading for the last couple of days :D

Awesome stuff.

On a side note. Anyone have any good routes in the Southern Lakes which hit a lot of elevation? Closer to the M6 as possible (if possible). Aiming for a 20ish mile run and would like a minimum of 5000ft ascent. Preferably more.

I made this on Strava using a route a mate had done, but don't know if anything better is out there. Seems to be an 80 minute drive from Preston which whilst more than i'd like, i think i have to accept there's not much i can do to get some serious climbing in.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2913193408366753858

Soldato
Awesome stuff.

On a side note. Anyone have any good routes in the Southern Lakes which hit a lot of elevation? Closer to the M6 as possible (if possible). Aiming for a 20ish mile run and would like a minimum of 5000ft ascent. Preferably more.

I made this on Strava using a route a mate had done, but don't know if anything better is out there. Seems to be an 80 minute drive from Preston which whilst more than i'd like, i think i have to accept there's not much i can do to get some serious climbing in.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2913193408366753858
High Street is close to the M6.

Soldato
High Street is close to the M6.

Cheers (albeit i was confused as to me a high street is just the main street in most towns! Took a while to google!)

Have created another route. Still not particularly accessible. However it takes me over to Jacks Rake whichis something i'd like to do and gets some scrambling/exposure practice in which can only be a good thing for me.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2913394772690141544

Packs in a huge amount of elevation, but closely mirrors that of the event i've got in March, a little more as that would be around 5500ft over 21 miles, but given that's a 45 mile event it can only put me in decent stead.

For those that know the area better than i do. What kind of terrain am i likely to be on? Will it be mostly firm trails or wet boggy marshland?

Although weather is looking grim, and a few things i've read suggest Jacks rake isn't a sensible option in rain as it's wet already. Especially as a beginner. Maybe i'm better tackling Stridge Edge?

Last edited:
Soldato
For those that know the area better than i do. What kind of terrain am i likely to be on? Will it be mostly firm trails or wet boggy marshland?

Although weather is looking grim, and a few things i've read suggest Jacks rake isn't a sensible option in rain as it's wet already. Especially as a beginner. Maybe i'm better tackling Stridge Edge?

Jacks Rake is a bit of a natural drainage line and because it's so popular, it's polished to hell. It's fairly straightforward, but likely to be slippery as anything in the rain. Most of the paths are decent well used mountain paths but there are unavoidable boggy/wet sections.

The Fairfield horseshoe is a nice run, but it's only about 10 miles, however you could quite easily extend it to link in Helvellyn or St Sunday Crag. That would take you up to around 20miles and the ascent would probably be over 2000m!

Associate
Cheers (albeit i was confused as to me a high street is just the main street in most towns! Took a while to google!)

Have created another route. Still not particularly accessible. However it takes me over to Jacks Rake whichis something i'd like to do and gets some scrambling/exposure practice in which can only be a good thing for me.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2913394772690141544

Packs in a huge amount of elevation, but closely mirrors that of the event i've got in March, a little more as that would be around 5500ft over 21 miles, but given that's a 45 mile event it can only put me in decent stead.

The bit from high raise to calf crag is marshland. If you get os maps you can see on the map where it can(is this time of year) get boggy as they have a marsh symbol. The ground over that way is a bit rubbish too and not easy to navigate without checking a map often.

Jacks rake is pretty much always wet. The Crux is probably nearer the top over an exposed section that isn't hard, just takes maybe a moment to stop and think about the holds/move but you need a head for heights.

Granted it's a bike route but something like this would be good as it has a very steep ascent as well as a very gradual and the terrain is mixed and would be good for a run, and I've seen walkers and runners on each descent regardless. You could run round haweswater for extra distance or add in the other usual routes to stavely and you'll have more than enough elevation

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/UkeIDZqFymb

https://lakesmtb.co.uk/routes/staveley-3-passes/
https://lakesmtb.co.uk/routes/staveley-and-nan-bield/

Or the northern fells this was decent too, mixed and can be altered to suit
Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/mjzfIWVFymb

Soldato
Those are brilliant. Great shout on bike routes, probably helps to avoid bogs and keep things runnable (as long as i'm not constantly being mowed down by mountain bikers :D)

The Stavely 3 passes looks a great option too, although might be one for the future given 8000ft. I probably am better aiming around the 5000-6000 level. I'm look at modifying your route.

Other option is to head the other way and just aim for the Yorkshire 3 Peaks since it's a well trodden path.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Jonnybmac Weirdly, uploading that Stavely 3 Passes GPX into Strava actually gives the elevation at 4800ft, which is much more in line with what i'm aiming for.

Is it a route you've done to be able to gauge it better? Otherwise it sounds pretty much ideal, and i believe Stavely is where the Innov8 shop is :D

Soldato
Additional question. Is there anywhere thats worth heading as a backup option? Forecasts seem to have snow hitting tomorrow and then snow showers over the weekend. I imagine that makes some of the higher areas fairly risky for someone who just wants to plod around without too much danger.

Associate
@Jonnybmac Weirdly, uploading that Stavely 3 Passes GPX into Strava actually gives the elevation at 4800ft, which is much more in line with what i'm aiming for.

Is it a route you've done to be able to gauge it better? Otherwise it sounds pretty much ideal, and i believe Stavely is where the Innov8 shop is :D

I've only done the section on my strava and not the figure 8. I intended to do both but it was dark nights and I got my car stuck at the side of a farm track and had to get the farmer to give me a push out so I was a bit delayed setting off and it was harder graft than I expected anyways :D

You'll not go wrong running on the terrain though if you can run up the section from hawewater to nan bied pass then you're a beast lol

Associate
Yep, looks like snow on anything over 400m, and with my lack of experience it would be foolish to tackle anything much above that.

Have created a slight alternative with only 4000ft of elevation but it's probably a sensible option.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2914192826310892228
It will be sketchy running anything there with low temps and ice about I'd consider investing in some kahtoola microspikes

Soldato
Yeah. I’ve accepted anything high isn’t a goer. Have found a route around Howgills from Sedburgh that’s 5300ft over 17 miles.

Have spoken to a couple of fell runners who went up tonight that've suggested it’s mostly ok and there’s a small thaw expected tomorrow due to rain.

I had been looking and saw people screwing some short 3/8” self drilling hex head screws into old trail shoes for grip on ice but annoyingly my Screwfix are out of anything below 25mm :(

Might look into micro spikes, although I’m not sure how much of a habit I’ll make of this.

Soldato
Might look into micro spikes, although I’m not sure how much of a habit I’ll make of this.

They're an absolute god send in marginal conditions where crampons would be overkill! My Inov8s are fine on snow, but next to useless on ice, so if I'm out running in winter and expecting ice, I'll always stick them in my pack as they weigh next to nothing anyway.

Soldato
They're an absolute god send in marginal conditions where crampons would be overkill! My Inov8s are fine on snow, but next to useless on ice, so if I'm out running in winter and expecting ice, I'll always stick them in my pack as they weigh next to nothing anyway.

Im tempted. But I think this current situation of me needing ascent is fairly unique and beyond March I just wouldn’t bother in these conditions. Just didn’t find it very enjoyable.

Ended up in the Howgills. It wasn’t too snow covered but certainly very cold and windy. Clothing felt right other than my gloves. 3 long sleeve t shirts and my waterproof jacket was good. Thin running gloves were not. My laces came undone and it took 5 minutes to retie them my fingers were so cold!

Certainly got a lot of steep hiking in. Downsides being the lower/flatter sections weren’t very runnable due to all the water run off making it very slippy so was mostly walked all around.

Glad to get to the car and warm! Although there was a point where the clouds were blown away which afforded some stunning views.

Certainly has given me some slight cause for concern as my pace was very close to the time cut off for that race yet only a third of the distance (extra elevation though). I didn’t feel my legs were the issue on pace for flatter ground though and was able to pick up on the last couple miles on the road. So hopefully the next session like this I’ll pick drier terrain and get a better idea.

Ended up with 4500ft of ascent over 14.8 miles at a slow pace of 18min/miles. Kind of wish id gone with a route from Stavely which was lower ground and closer to 20 miles. Think I’d have got more benefit from the increased distance and more running. On the plus side I’ll hopefully be fine to get out again tomorrow.

Soldato
Got the winter bug after my scrambles round the cuillins. Doing a MC hut meet at end of jan in Cairngorm. Picked up a couple of technical axes on ebay in addition to my walking one. Will be nice to have stuff to look forward to in the dark winter months! :cool:

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Finally got round to replacing my day pack. Went with an Osprey Talon 22.
Could do with an insert for it next for my camera.

Good choice, I was tempted to get an Osprey Packing cube and put some of my camera bag dividers in it.

Soldato
Osprey appear to be one of the few brands that do good stuff and support it well. had a buckle break on my 7 year old rucksack and they just sent me one in the post!

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Osprey appear to be one of the few brands that do good stuff and support it well. had a buckle break on my 7 year old rucksack and they just sent me one in the post!

Only got positive stuff to say about them, great support just devastated they've removed the 40% Bluelight discount from the the Second life products :D

Back
Top Bottom