Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Tech grew so much in the past few years it always felt like a bubble ready to pop, but it just kept growing!

I always made sure that I diversified across sectors and market cap sizes, but I'm finally feeling a bit smug as opposed to the usual FOMO while staying the course on my investment plan.

I'll be using up to 20% margin (DCA not lump sum) soon to increase my holdings as the market declines. IBKR interest rates are stupidly low for margin.
Tech was massively overvalued. It was very hard to pick the top though as it just kept going beyond expectation as you point out. I dumped all of my tech stock in November but that was because I needed the cash, turns out that was when the market was showing the first signs of peaking, but we can only see that now with hindsight. Nasdaq is about 15% down from peak so it is close to a bear market rather than just a correction. A few more days of these kinds of falls and that will be the bear.

Associate
My son and I have Mous phone cases and really rate them. As a customer I've been getting emails inviting me to buy into their company. I'm tempted but no nothing about investing like this.

Soldato
My son and I have Mous phone cases and really rate them. As a customer I've been getting emails inviting me to buy into their company. I'm tempted but no nothing about investing like this.
their website is just a blank page, so seems sketchy to me.
and generally, a company approaching you is either a scam or a bad deal.
but as always, don't invest in things you don't understand.

Associate
https://eu.mous.co/ ??? seems fine to me. Bloody rip off though.

That's the one. They're on the higher end of the price scale, but offers were available when we purchased. They're the best cases I've used though. Cheaper ones just never hit the mark for me: corners break, finishes peel, they provide insufficient protection and don't do the job they're primarily supposed to do - protect my phone when it's dropped.

Soldato
Big tech makes a lot of money, we're going nowhere without them I dont see a hold as invalid especially. Nvidia I dont know how it justifies but stuff like Microsoft perhaps, TSMC is cheap. The market does appear over valued but I also expect currency to diminish in value, almost on purpose as it reduces the burden for government debt while also doing some damage to the economy.

All they care about is a disorderly market, crashes, any path apart from that is likely valid in their eyes despite the harm it might do to people.
Inflation of 7% means in a decade the dollar halves (.93^10)#

The FTSE isnt a sell, its got tons of energy in there and we import energy in the UK. Its well hedged then, I dont rate it a big sell. Take profit perhaps but I think commodities rises over ten years because its required investment today to deliver in future.

Last edited:
Caporegime
microsoft doesn't justify the current ratios, it's growth isn't big enough and it's business model could be questionable.

Game pass vs Retail sales. quite a few people in the pcgaming section have said they don't even buy games any more they just get gamepass for a month using a vpn for cheap.

I don't see how they can make as much money with game pass. windows when was the last time they charged for it? did anyone actually buy windows 10 for full price. even the pirates could get it for free.

CDkeys for it are like £5-10 or something.

So how can MS keep the dollars rolling in if it's seemingly cutting revenue streams.

it's almost like MS thinks there's some consolidation needed in the gaming market but the competition in the last 2 years has been almost none because barely any games have been coming out, especially ones people remember for more than a week.

how MSFT supposed to keep growing the revenues? and the activision buy out seems way too high and such a waste of money. lets face it all your really buying is the copyright, history and IPS the companies own, the dev studio will probably be gone in a few years or downsized

they are pretty much buying activision blizzard at an inflated price as the market crashes, I guess MSFT has a lot of cash they don't want during this inflation though and have no idea what to do with it.

KASWRP put a video out with companies he's interested in and prices he would buy at.
He's saying 270 for MSFT so expects another 10% or so dip on them , wouldn't surprise me if they dip more than that

next week will probably be another week of sell offs imo

Last edited:
Soldato
CDkeys for it are like £5-10 or something.

So how can MS keep the dollars rolling in if it's seemingly cutting revenue streams.

how MSFT supposed to keep growing the revenues? and the activision buy out seems way too high and such a waste of money. lets face it all your really buying is the copyright, history and IPS the companies own, the dev studio will probably be gone in a few years or downsized

they are pretty much buying activision blizzard at an inflated price as the market crashes, I guess MSFT has a lot of cash they don't want during this inflation though and have no idea what to do with it.

Microsoft is heavily pushing their subscription-based products because they don't want on-off payments for games, they want recurring predictable monthly revenues from users. Activision has been doing this for years and years and they have several very successful titles that are subscription-based. Microsoft buying them significantly enhances Microsoft's portfolio.

Soldato
Subscription will work very well for Microsoft as they have bought up so many game studios. People that game a lot won’t mind paying for it. The challenge is those that game on a few games or don’t game a lot. However the price of it is similar to Netflix so perfectly reasonable.

Soldato
did what i was told by various sources not to do and cashed out on a falling mutual fund ,in the end i could buy back in at a much better price but i hate not knowing my buy or sell price ,topped up to 10k last week on my etf but have a little over 50k to spend ,so all at once or drip feed ,i have no idea (well all at once is supposedly better on average but timing ?) ,my etf is mainly s&p 500 ,so volatile at the moment ,are the fed interest rate rises built in now ?
just thinking out loud ,well in text

fez

fez

Caporegime
did what i was told by various sources not to do and cashed out on a falling mutual fund ,in the end i could buy back in at a much better price but i hate not knowing my buy or sell price ,topped up to 10k last week on my etf but have a little over 50k to spend ,so all at once or drip feed ,i have no idea (well all at once is supposedly better on average but timing ?) ,my etf is mainly s&p 500 ,so volatile at the moment ,are the fed interest rate rises built in now ?
just thinking out loud ,well in text

I didn't think they knew what the FED were actually going to do because they are in a ****** position right now where they have to decide between the markets and inflation. The rich or the poor.

Soldato
Microsoft is heavily pushing their subscription-based products because they don't want on-off payments for games, they want recurring predictable monthly revenues from users. Activision has been doing this for years and years and they have several very successful titles that are subscription-based. Microsoft buying them significantly enhances Microsoft's portfolio.

Microsoft didn't make anything on PC games. All the sales went to Valve.

Having PC gamers paying a few quid for a GPU sub and teasing them into the Xbox ecosystem is a much better proposition!

Soldato
Microsoft didn't make anything on PC games. All the sales went to Valve.

Having PC gamers paying a few quid for a GPU sub and teasing them into the Xbox ecosystem is a much better proposition!

That's the thing. PC gaming is very popular and profitable (for the right companies). Microsoft enables all of that with DX12 and Windows, but doesn't get the ongoing benefits.

The long standing expectation that Microsoft will make PC gaming a paid subscription feature of Windows (e.g. £15 a month) might also come true soon.

Soldato
That's an ouchy opening for SMT.

Feels like this could be the week the correction turns into a rout for tech.

May shift some stuff around today to cushion the worst of a collapse.

Edit: T212 was showing it down nearly 7% on open! It's actually just over 3%. Not great, but not quite as bad...

Last edited:
Soldato
Everythings gone to ****, shares, crypto, the lot, a lot of countries saying they're going to ban it, is that them manipulating the market and buying the crash and then changing their minds, or are we actually looking at the death of crypto?

Soldato
Everythings gone to ****, shares, crypto, the lot, a lot of countries saying they're going to ban it, is that them manipulating the market and buying the crash and then changing their minds, or are we actually looking at the death of crypto?

This isn't the crypto forum.

US growth stocks have been overheated for months, years even, they were always going to blow off steam. It's the scale of the correction that's the question. How much of a problem is current inflation? Raising interest rates is really unpalatable with living standards being squeezed. Could get quite unpleasant here in the UK with our broken property market.

Soldato
Edit: T212 was showing it down nearly 7% on open! It's actually just over 3%. Not great, but not quite as bad...

Turns out it was prescient :D

Some momentum going now....I don't like selling after a big drop but my spidey sense is telling me this could be a wretched week.

Back
Top Bottom