The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Soldato
Wheel of Time was terrible, just plain bad. Script, lousy, special effects equivalent to a 90's TV series, actors so bad they mumbled most of their lines and were bargain bucket ones at that.

In regards to LOTR, Lenny Henry has not done anything good in 20 years, the last decent TV series he was in was Chef, oh and the Delbert Wilkins show :). As for the rest of cast, no names is a bad sign, unless people know of major actors cast? Will it be like WOT with the cheapest they can get? I note for next season of WOT, they have cast one the main character's (Elayne Trakand) with zero film or TV credits!

I look forward to Amazon "educating" me like Star Trek Discovery has done for the last four seasons....Note I have stopped watching Discovery, it is just so bad. Since the new studio head has taken over at Amazon, it has gotten worse.

It looks to be following the WOT model, Rosamund Pike is the only actor of any note in the whole thing - compare that to GOT...even the spin off has a far better cast than Amazon's LOTR.

There are a few people I have seen elsewhere, Joseph Mawl (Benjen Stark), Morfydd Clarke but when Lenny Henry is the biggest name is the whole thing that is scaping the bottom of the last barrel possible. Have you ever met a Lenny Henry fan? No me neither.

Think about it, probably the most expensive TV show ever made per EP, if not close to it, and your biggest star is Lenny Henry who is going to be playing a Hobbit for diversity purposes.

:cry:

Associate
In the WOT thread I wrote that it was LOTR Lite.

I fear that I may have had a premonition.

Why cant these companies make good shows anymore. Does everything have to be so light weight and filled with young, bland actors with good looks but zero ability.

Hope I'm wrong but this looks to be going the same way given the quality of the cast (or lack of it)

Soldato
Not one snippet of the series is out yet, yet everyone is already slating it because of casting. When LOTR movies came out I literally only knew of 4-5 actors in it, and there were a lot of them in this movie. The rest were nobodies or at the very least bit part child actors from looking at pre-LOTR movies. Look how that turned out.

Caporegime
A Brummy 6 foot 6 black hobbit.

Sure why not lol...

Jesus wept

I actually used to like him for his comedy back in the day when I was a kid. I'm sure he can act too but what a weird role.

Soldato
I think what we have seen is these companies don't care about the source material they just want the IP name as a selling point, they can sell anything that has Star Wars written on it for example, so they can just use the name and write whatever agenda driven trash they like. Dr. Woke, Star Woke Discovery, Star Woke, Bobba Woke, Woke Picard..the list is endess basically.

I hope I'm wrong but, to paraphrase Boromir, "They say there is hope, but I cannot see it".

:(

It can't be worse than "I, Robot" where they took Asimov's name and title of a story and er... thats it the film bore no resemblence to the original whatsoever

A Brummy 6 foot 6 black hobbit.

Sure why not lol...

Oh boy...

Permabanned
It's funny how so many of the people who slate these things for supposedly 'woke cast tickboxing' are now slating a show for not having any 'big names' in it. I thought the idea was that you hire the best person for the job, regardless of status?

Soldato
Tolkien has a lot of reference to today's society as some people call it "woke", with the age of men all the magic disappears obviously this is before the hobbit and fellowship of the ring. but I have to question why they chose a black hobbit and i am no way racist but it does seem like "diversity" and what i don't think anyone wants it shoved down your throat. If done correctly this could be amazing and having watched the hobbit and lotr so many times the humour and acting especially from the hobbit has natural with no slap stick comedy. I find most acting today is so wooden and the comedy fake or just not funny where as peregrin took in LOTR had funny moments it was spot on.

From what we have seen from the series name reveal gives me hope that there is not too much CGI, however i do my reserves as to whether they will go to much on diversity / woke which is not Tolkien at all. Having been disappointed with so many films recently I am going in with low expectations and be surprised.

Given that the series is in Sept we wont probably see a Trailer until at least Spring Late Summer, could possibly be a TV spot at the superbowl 13th Feb but very unlikely being 6 months out.

Associate
in fairness to Henry, he's made a name for himself on the Shakespearean stage and won a few awards so i'll cut him some slack and give this a go.

Back
Top Bottom