Oh Noes - Mouse and Keyboard action for 360!

Soldato
I know that this should get a nice debate going, based on the Smartjoy FRAG that was released for the original xbox some time ago.
I used to be all for this type of device as I had one. However, now that I am a Live participant I think it will stuff up the fantastic balance that a lot of the games have.

No links sorry as everyone I can find for the device (XFPS 360) is linked to modding etc.

Thoughts/comments?

Man of Honour
I think allowing Mouse + Keyboard support for full official control would really screw up the whole fairness of equality on the console setup. The games are generally designed to be for use with the controller. Why should those that don't want to play with a mouse and keyboard be forced to be owned by M+K players online?

I believe Microsoft have said they'll never do full Mouse and Keyboard support anyway, though I can't remember where I heard it, probably Major Nelson. We'll probably see unofficial things like above springing up a lot, and the more hardcore PC convert to 360 will be using them, but doubt they'd sell to many to the general public.

Caporegime
I'd be gutted if they bring one out. I like the fact that everyone has the same disadvantage right now. If a KB and Mouse comes out, to compete i'd have to get one even though I'd hate it. I like the lazyness of console gaming. Putting my feet up lying back and playing. KB and M would kill that for me.

I'm actually not worried about it. I assume that it will send movement from the mouse in the way a thumbstick is sent. meaning that the further/ faster you move the mouse the more the movement is exagerated.

Ditto the wasd.

Meaning Kb/m users will be unable to utilise this as reliably and intuitively as they would on a PC.

the Joypad users would p0wn the n00bs and forever win the debate. (until 360 games and PC games can interact)

Soldato
OP
Kronologic said:
I'm actually not worried about it. I assume that it will send movement from the mouse in the way a thumbstick is sent. meaning that the further/ faster you move the mouse the more the movement is exagerated.

Ditto the wasd.

Meaning Kb/m users will be unable to utilise this as reliably and intuitively as they would on a PC.

the Joypad users would p0wn the n00bs and forever win the debate. (until 360 games and PC games can interact)

If it works like the old SmartJoy FRAG I had then it worked near enough like a M/KB combo on the PC. You just ramped the sentisivity right the way up and it was pretty fluid.

Bobbler said:
If it works like the old SmartJoy FRAG I had then it worked near enough like a M/KB combo on the PC. You just ramped the sentisivity right the way up and it was pretty fluid.

Based on close quarters though I should pown you but in open large map combat I wouldnt get a shot in. (but thats normal for me anyway).

TBH (and no offence ment mate) but if you feel you have to use a KB/M on a console game then you probably have an inferiority complex tbh.

BTW its nothing to do with using the best tools or playing the best you can. On Consoles the best tool is the controller and the best you can play is dependant on the level of controler skill you have.

You would never get into competitive console gaming with a mouse and keyboard.

Soldato
I love the whole Keyboard and Mouse combo but would hate for this to come to the 360.

I like the idea of everyone using the same hardware so there is no unfair advantage.

If it come to that I guess I'll just end up playing against people I know. :confused:

Im all for K&M support on the 360, as long as its web browser based though. :)

Chadd said:
I love the whole Keyboard and Mouse combo but would hate for this to come to the 360.

I like the idea of everyone using the same hardware so there is no unfair advantage.

If it come to that I guess I'll just end up playing against people I know. :confused:

Im all for K&M support on the 360, as long as its web browser based though. :)
Good man :D

Soldato
OP
Kronologic said:
Based on close quarters though I should pown you but in open large map combat I wouldnt get a shot in. (but thats normal for me anyway).

TBH (and no offence ment mate) but if you feel you have to use a KB/M on a console game then you probably have an inferiority complex tbh.

BTW its nothing to do with using the best tools or playing the best you can. On Consoles the best tool is the controller and the best you can play is dependant on the level of controler skill you have.

You would never get into competitive console gaming with a mouse and keyboard.

Dont know why you felt the need to poke fun though? I already said earlier that my previous Xbox FRAG was for single player shenanigans. Good old OCUKers forums - almost always guaranteed to get some insults going for no blooming reason.

Soldato
Bad, bad news.:(

What I love about XBox Live is that everyone is on a level playing field.

We're all using the same net code settings, input device, graphical settings etc.

Nobody has manually tweaked their netcode settings to ensure lower pings, hits register better etc, nobody is using an uber high dpi mouse, nobody has tweaked with the games config file to allow all sorts of wonderful things. The list goes on.

I was a PC gamer for 7 years before deciding last year to give it up and go the console route with the 360.

Upon first using the controller, I absolutely hated it! But after a few weeks of practicing I got used to it and now love using it.

I can't see this mouse/keyboard adapter being purchased by those with the 360 in a living room or by the all the people who have only ever gamed on a console. For the latter, it would just be like PC gamers going from keyboard/mouse to a joypad.

Nope, this device is purely aimed at the computer geek who simply cannot be bothered to learn and adapt to playing a FPS with a control pad. Those PC gamers who go online with the controller and suddenly get owned by others who have bothered to put in the practice with the controller.

Kronologic said:
inferiority complex

Spot on.

Soldato
dannyjo22 said:
I'd be gutted if they bring one out. I like the fact that everyone has the same disadvantage right now. If a KB and Mouse comes out, to compete i'd have to get one even though I'd hate it. I like the lazyness of console gaming. Putting my feet up lying back and playing. KB and M would kill that for me.

Associate
To be honest there is nothing like a keyboard and mouse and an average player would wipe the floor with any controller player. I remember going to a cpl and having a top dreamcast player against a pc player and let me tell you in wasnt pritty.

The one thing that has stopped me getting an XB 360 is the controller and fps. Have gotten so used to KB&M that I cant use the controller. WIth patience I might like / get used to it but its not enticing me to throw £300 at something I could get cheesed off with. Games may influence me soon seeing as COD3 is out.

Associate
CSGAS said:
Remember when some PC Quake 3 players hacked into the Dreamcast Quake 3 servers? ;) pwned is half the story.

the first time pc players and console players could play together. It wasnt hacked it was meant to happen. controllers dont stand a chance tbh. I like both and use both but for consoles stick with controllers

Associate
Im sure I read that MS stated that only licensed peripherals would be allowed for 360 and they were not going to allow a keyb/mouse adaptor because of the issues it raises with unbalanced play. I remember the whole fragjoy thing being raised because of halo 2 etc.. Perhaps they will wield the might lawsuit hammer to prevent such devices.

Personally I'd like it because given the choice I'd take a PC version over an 360 just to use keyb/mouse. Maybe cos my left hand has the aiming talent of a dead fish so generally I suck at FPS on consoles but do pretty good on PC :)

Back
Top Bottom