symposium day at uni... I really am scared/nervous, any tips?

Associate
Basically in under 3 weeks it is symposium day at my uni. Which basically means I have to talk with the aid of a poster :rolleyes: about a chosen topic in Geography 'clear zones'.

To cut a long story short I am scared about doing a presentation (let alone a 20minute one) any tips or advice?

I mean I feel like I would rather leave uni than have to do it, I can do work just not the whole stand up and talk in front of peers and strangers thing (really sad face).

help please

Last edited:
Soldato
Not what you want to hear, but pretty much the only way to lessen your nerves when speaking in front of large groups of people, is to do it more often.

If it's something that everyone is doing, the majority of people doing the presentation will also be as nervous as you are, so won't be paying much attention to what you're saying as they'll be more worried about their own.

If possible do it first and get it out of the way. You'll feel much better when it's done rather than feel anxious throughout everyone else's presentations.

Associate
I had a 30minute presentation to do at uni the other week. Normally i am really nervous with such things but i took the attitude that it wasn't really anything big and i had nothing to lose (even though it was an assesment which counts for the final mark!), just be confident and don’t think about the fact you are speaking to a lot of people.

I was also first, if you get the chance go first. People definitely wont make a fool of you or anything if you do something stupid in case they do the same thing!

I got the best mark in my year somehow ;)

Caporegime
Dont, whatever you do, mae a written speech, and preferable dont make any notes or cards or whater. Just speak.

I you know the topic well then you will do very well. If you dont, then people will see through you. If you dont know the answer to the question dont BS some hlaf arse response. Say what can and then say you dont actually know the ansrr, but that it is n interesting point for future research etc.

Look at people, not the poseter/screen

Having lots of people actually makes things easier. I have given talks with only 1 or 2 people [rpresent, feels very odd and alarming. Lots of people makes it easy for people to relax.

Associate
OP
K thanks for your advice, I really do appreciate it ;) . I will begin to bullet point those tips and have em on my desktop wallpaper.

I am the kinda guy that really does think about things way too much, makes me wish I did drama at School or something I am sure that might have helped in this instance :p

Permabanned
deadkomodo said:
Basically in under 3 weeks it is symposium day at my uni. Which basically means I have to talk with the aid of a poster :rolleyes: about a chosen topic in Geography 'clear zones'.

To cut a long story short I am scared about doing a presentation (let alone a 20minute one) any tips or advice?

I mean I feel like I would rather leave uni than have to do it, I can do work just not the whole stand up and talk in front of peers and strangers thing (really sad face).

help please

I remember feeling the same way in the past! Some of my tips:
1. keep an A4 peice of paper with little reminders of the next topic.
2. Don't put your hands in your pockets
3. Don't wave your hands about.
4. Fix a point on the far wall, if you nervous imagine your talking to that point (sounds stupid but works).

Structure:
1. At the start tell your audience what your'll be covereing, and how long it will be.
2. Keep the amount of text to a minimum, if mathematical then just include the KEY forumulas and not all the steps in the middle.

Cheers

David

Associate
I'm doing architecture, which means we have to do these at least once a week at the moment but I still get nervous, like already said practice is one way to get better. But just really knowing your subject also, fully get on top of it so you can be prepared for any questions that may be thrown at you helps too in the confidence. Be certain about what your saying.

Man of Honour
I always find that whatever you do, WHATEVER YOU DO, don't act like you are bored talking about what you are talking about. Be passionate and lively and people will pay attention :)

Associate
OP
I am honestly shocked at how friendly and HELPFULL everyone is being!!! (thought I would be filtering through nasty comments)

I genuinely am feeling a lot better. Its unbelievable :p

THANK YOU

Associate
Look at the audience while you're talking to them. Theres nothing worse than a speaker who doesn't even attempt to look at the people he is lecturing.
Other than that, just be confident. Don't be monotonous, don't speak too fast - you ARE allowed to take small pauses, believe it or not!

Soldato
One of my modules is called Teamworking, and were doing a management day where we run a Theatre performance including the finance/production.. but we also found out we have to do some improv acting.. :eek: .. i relish the opportunity :cool:

Suspended
like other posters said, ALWAYS try to go first... so you're not sat there worrying about it.

Make sure you know a LOT about your topic so you don't follow a script and can fill in with relevant details which come to mind.

I wouldn't recommend an A4 sheet, but rather index cards as an A4 sheet encourages you to read the speech, instead of speaking to the audience using refresher points.

Caporegime
You dont have to be standing all the time.

If you would find sitting better (and it is still appropriate) then sit on a nice high stool or something.
have some water near by. its very easy to dry up.

tell them what you are going to tell them
tell them
tell them what you have told them
(just like the news).

enjoy :]

Associate
Best thing for nerves is knowledge and PRACTISE.

Everyone's given advice on making sure you know your subject.

Next is to make sure you KNOW what you're going to say.
Bravado about "winging it" is very dangerous as if any small thing causes a stumble you've no foundation to rebuild from and panic can set in.

So, DO script it. Word for word. TIME IT.
THEN practise it - in front of a mirror preferably.
Start with you just looking at your face in a head/shoulders mirror view.
Then with further practising try to use a full length mirror.
Let's you see how you look and as practise then you will become less self-consciou s and more comfortable. SO then the presentation to a friendly audience isnt' so big a hurdle.

NEXT do it without the 6x4 cards and allow your own character to surface. A little bit of animation, smiles, delays, emphasis.

By the time you've done all this you've probably given the speech 15-20 times :)

So it's easy and you have no stressors to cause panic on the day as you KNOW you can do it and do it with style.
Good luck.

Soldato
I've had to give a few presentations at uni and you're best not to think about it, just get up and say what you have to say. Prepare the start of your presentation the most and work out what you will be saying because this is when you'll be most nervous. After a few minutes you'll settle into it and be less nervous. What ever you do, do not rush! We all begin to rush when we're under stress so just talk loud and clear and try to enjoy it. Practice in front of a mirror out loud a few times before giving the presentation to a large crowd and if possible even get a few family members of friends to listen to it beforehand.

Good luck, i'm sure you'll do fine :)

Soldato
I always tend to take the view that the presentation will only be a few minutes of your entire life, chances are no one will remember the presentation the next week, and you'll probably never see anyone of the people your presenting to again in your life after uni.

So just go out make the best of the moment, if you fall on your face just keep telling yourself the above and you just won't care about failing.

Back
Top Bottom