Pump shootout - noise

Soldato
What loop did you use for the testing? At least a decent length of tubing with a couple of blocks in I hope. It sounds like you ran a small loop to and from a reservoir then left it running for 3 hours. If so, consider

Pumps run hotter when not loaded. If it's pumping against considerable back pressure it runs more efficiently as the impeller speed remains within sensible limits. The majority of the electrical power drawn is used to pump through the resistance.
If pumping against minimal pressure, it'll spin faster but won't be able to do enough work on the water. Consequently of the power used (lets say 18W for the '18W ddc'), a smaller fraction goes into the water. The pump then runs hotter, and no doubt heats the water more.

We therefore need more information about your experimental set up before it can be considered conclusive. I applaud you actually testing, that's definitely the right way to go about things. An alternative explanation at the moment is that the CPX-Pro, being a weaker pump, was running closer to its expected load and therefore at a higher efficiency than the laing ddc.

Soldato
OP
Did some more testing tonight with some other aftermarket tops
NOTE the massive noise drop of the D5 with the ek x-top.
and yes setting 5 is quieter that 4 (but that could be my old ears not hearing higher frequencey noise as well)
and the increased flowrates but reduced noise of the xspc tops over the older alphacool one.

Full review will be posted up elsewhere but wanted you guys to get first look at the provisional results.
A few may swap a place on second run through with different loop arrangement.

D5 setting 1 (EK X-top rev2) – 0.69GPM
D5 setting 2 (EK X-top rev2) - 1.00GPM
D5 setting 1 – 0.62 GPM
D5 setting 3 (EK X-top rev2) - 1.35GPM
D5 setting 2 – 0.92 GPM
DB-1 (Ek 2.2) – 1.09 GPM

-------
Ddc stock – whoosh like but quiet – 1.37 GPM
D5 setting 5 (EK X-top rev2) - 1.99GPM
D5 setting 3 – 1.26GPM
Ddc xspc top - 1.87GPM
Ddc xspc res top - 1.86GPM
D5 setting 4 (EK X-top rev2) - 1.72GPM
DDC pro (Alphacool res top) – 1.53GPM

-------
D5 setting 4 – 1.63GPM
CPX-pro (Ek 4.0) - 1.85GPM (untested based on others opinion)
D5 setting 5 – 1.89GPM

Last edited:
Associate
Probablt slightly off theme, but I have an mcp655, I turn my to the lowest setting and suspend with elastic bands, completely isolated from the case and virtually silent.

Back
Top Bottom