• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*Official OMG I got my 460 thread*

Man of Honour
Is that with the fan on auto. If so, what speed is it hitting and what's the noise level like?

Yup left the fan on auto.

Fanspeed hits about 60% when the GPU hits 71 degrees and the nois elevels aren't too loud either, quieter than my GTX260 and the decibels only goes up 2-3dB. It's a more ambient hum instead of a whooshly noise of the fan like on other coolers, I think it's the fan Asus use on their cards, it has slit lines on the blades which must help noise?

Video:

(still processing on youtube so quality will be blocky for a bit)

EDIT***

4.2GHz on the memory now with 1.075V :D

Last edited:
Permabanned
ah poo! :(
Would a spot cooling fan like the antec make a vast difference?

It made a vast difference for me on my MSIs.

Top card temperature went down from 91 degrees max to 78 with a spotcool fan over it. The spotcool fan easily screws into one of the graphics cards backplate holes, then you just bend it down over the graphics card:

dsc00707d.jpg

The single most useful fan to have if using SLI or Crossfire. It works great on the MSIs because the cyclone coolers are unshrouded.

Soldato
After spending far too long deciding what GPU to buy, I've decided to get either the Gigabyte or ASUS 1GB 460s, as they seem to be getting good reviews for the price. Which of these two is most recommended? I'm leaning towards the Gigabyte due to the higher clocks, and as it's near enough the same price on TWO.

Soldato
Fair point, I guess they'll both clock to the same levels?

Do you know if either of the cards come with a molex-> PCI adapter, as I've only got 1 6 pin spare at the moment, and the 460s need 2 right?

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Kombustor really doesn't load the cards enough to stress test.

You need to run a 30min pass of OCCT to test for full stability.

I can run my card at 900MHz no fuss in Kombustor, but if I stress the card with something like a CUDA app (SETI for example) i'll get computation error after computation error. Which will also translate into random game lockups, and incorrect processing of any game that uses CUDA code (PhysX for example).

If you can pass 30mins of OCCT at that speed, then you got a great card :)

850 is the max I can squeeze out of mine and still have 0 OCCT errors.

Soldato
I spent ages overclocking my cards especially the mental clocking palit.. It makes no difference in games or so little its un-noticeable. I,m not sure why everyone worrys so much about how far the card can be clocked with so little gains exept in artificial benchmarks..:confused::confused:

Soldato
you wont be dissapointed the quality of the gigabyte is superb. Even the small things like little covers on the Dvi,s and Sli connector....

Enjoy...

Thanks! I'm going from a very loud 3870 which is giving me errors now on many games to the 460. Should be an awesome upgrade!

Caporegime
I spent ages overclocking my cards especially the mental clocking palit.. It makes no difference in games or so little its un-noticeable.

i dont know.... going from 675mhz core to 850 core - for instance is going to give genuine differences to the FPS in a game, that is roughly 25% increase in clock speed. okay so it might only turn into 20% absolute performance

but what would you rather have:

50 or 60 FPS? - when you are trying to VSync at 1080p, id stick to the 60thanks

100 or 120 FPS?

the list goes on. true the difference between 825 and 850 is small. but overall the jump from 675 to 850 or 900 is large. its just that the difference once you get there is smaller.

im really happy with my giga @ 850 core 4000 mem 1.037 voltd

Soldato
Just installed a 9800GT as a seperate Physx card.. It makes a slight difference but not anywhere near what i was expecting.

Anyone else using a 9800GT for Physx ? Get better results..

Man of Honour
Overclocking DOES make a noticable difference in certain games where high res + FSAA is used.

In Bad Company 2 I play 19x12 and 16xCSAA and 16xAF with DX11 HIGH settings (HBAO off) and get:

Stock clocks:
Code:
 Min	 Max	 Avg
29	127	57.141

OC (900/1800/4200):
Code:
Min	 Max	 Avg
41	132	64.704

Focusing on min fps of course where it helps most.

Associate
Really considering one of these and was wondering if someone could confirm a few things before I take the plunge.

Currently have a 8800gtx and from what I have read the 460gtx will perform a bit better but also run cooler and quieter. Game at 1900x1200.

Any input appreciated :)

Associate
A GTX260 is a lot better than an 8800GTX and a GTX460 is a fair bit better than a GTX260 at 1920x1200 especially in DX10/11.

Thanks very much for that. Is it correct as well then it will run cooler and, as I'm looking at the gigabyte one, also quieter?

Just seems to good to be true

Back
Top Bottom