*** The Car Cleaning Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
RussZS, been following this on facebook.

i am quite interested in attending one of those machine polishing days, do you have any more info on it?

what is the best way for me to be alerted about it/put my name down etc

Russ I've played about with vinyl briefly and found it fairly easy to do flat surfaces but how do you wrap more complex bits like spoilers where you're having to double back the vinyl on itself (If that makes sense?).

Here are a few better pics of where its up to at this stage. It should make a nice write up and shows the amount of work that goes into doing a proper install.

Excuse the silver wing mirrors, skirts and roof - I will put up the final write up when these and the wheels are done.

DSC05056 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC05062 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC05072 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC05070 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC05077 by RussZS, on Flickr

Russ.

RussZS, been following this on facebook.

i am quite interested in attending one of those machine polishing days, do you have any more info on it?

what is the best way for me to be alerted about it/put my name down etc

Facebook or Detailing World will probably be the best way, but I'll send you a message on here also.

Russ I've played about with vinyl briefly and found it fairly easy to do flat surfaces but how do you wrap more complex bits like spoilers where you're having to double back the vinyl on itself (If that makes sense?).

Yes that makes sense and is the hardest part to do properly (along with stretching around bumpers!). It really does depend on the spoiler design. Some places like the number plate recess on the 335D require two pieces of vinyl with a 5mm overlap which you try to lose in the natural lines of the car - you simply cannot stretch the film far enough in some places without distorting it so two pieces must be used. I'll try and explain with photos further once I have them all uploaded to flickr.

Why on earth would they want that doing? I can sort of understand if it happened to be an M car (I'd still be against it), but a 3 Series?

Looks like you've done a great job though!

Last edited:
Why on earth would they want that doing? I can sort of understand if it happened to be an M car (I'd still be against it), but a 3 Series?

Looks like you've done a great job though!

It's not as if they are wrapping a 320d is it but even if they were, they like it and have the cash to pay for it. Does it really need any justification?

Can anyone recommend a good product for getting rid of mould on window seals etc? Washed my mothers car today and noticed the rear seals are completely green, tried attacking them with a brush but it didn't shift much :/

I used a slightly hard brush (one of the mucoff brushes in the bike set - the chain/sprocket brush) and used one of the ends of that whilst the snowfoam does it's thing. Then go over it again when shampooing... All gone now :)

Civic got a big clean today.
I couldn't stand the sight of it any more.
in a fit of rage linked to something totally unrelated, my energy has been put to good use.
the aim of today was to get a solid coat of wax in situe before the weather and road conditions worsen.

Method
  • Two bucket wash with Megs NXE
  • dried with my new huge drying towel
  • clayed with built hamber clay using megs quick detailler as lube
  • a light corrective polish using my machine polisher [someone scuffed the paint on the passenger door]
  • polished the rest of the car buy hand using autoglym super resin polish
  • fully waxed the car using collonite 476
  • treated rubbers and exterior plastics with autoglym rubber and vinyl care
  • autoglym glass polish applied to the windows
  • Megs hot rims applied to the wheels and left to sit for ten minutes
  • quick check round the car for any missed wax haze
  • cleaned wheels with large face brush, then a spoke brush, then a brush to clean the inside of the wheels
  • cleaned brake calipers
  • rinsed wheels down and dried off with an old drying towel
  • applied autoglym alloy wheel seal spray
  • applied megs tyre gel to the tyres
  • made a brew
  • vacuumed interior
  • shampooed mats, carpets and upholstery
  • megs interior detailler for all interior plastics
  • autoglym glass cleaner on front interior glass
  • changed pollen filters
  • small spray of Chemical Guys air freshener

took it to the top of my street for some pictures as I doubt it will look this good for a while.

20130116_142621.jpg

20130116_144020.jpg

20130116_144027.jpg

20130116_144033.jpg

20130116_144041.jpg

20130116_144047.jpg

20130116_144309.jpg

20130116_144312.jpg

20130116_144317.jpg

20130116_144330.jpg

20130116_144336.jpg

20130116_144348.jpg