*** The Car Cleaning Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend bought pasta carbonara from the cafe and the second he got in my car it went all over the seats, I've left it for ages and now my car starts to smell.

How would one clean pasta carbonara from the passenger seat?

In the winter I just let the car get grimy, can't be bothered cleaning if it's going to get dirty again after a couple of miles. As long as there's a decent layer of wax underneath I'm happy.

In the winter I just let the car get grimy, can't be bothered cleaning if it's going to get dirty again after a couple of miles. As long as there's a decent layer of wax underneath I'm happy.

Me too :o

I managed to clean and waxed it with some FK1000 3 weeks ago, even with a layer of grim on now it still beads like nothing else :)

Not touching it until the spring, should last a good 4 months before it needs doing again.

So in the absence of the gf I need to focus my attention to the other girl in my life. The body work had a once over today. Tomorrow I am going to tackle her engine bay...have my WD-40, a brush and a couple of microfiber cloths at the ready. Should be fun :D

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good alloy wheel sealant that'll make it easier to get brake dust etc. off when it comes to washing the car?

Preferably something affordable (<£20?) but one that'll stay on the wheels for a good while.

Standard alloys I assume, BMW ones.. thanks!

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good alloy wheel sealant that'll make it easier to get brake dust etc. off when it comes to washing the car?

Preferably something affordable (<£20?) but one that'll stay on the wheels for a good while.

Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

Hi,

Collinite 845. Surprisingly brilliant for wheels.

Hey all :)

So I'm looking at getting into washing my car myself and trying to do a good job of it!

Can anybody recommend any products and equipment to use?

The car is a Ford Focus ST in White. :) I've had a quick look through the thread and watched various videos on techniques to use and wondered if anybody had any extra tips.

Hey all :)

So I'm looking at getting into washing my car myself and trying to do a good job of it!

Can anybody recommend any products and equipment to use?

The car is a Ford Focus ST in White. :) I've had a quick look through the thread and watched various videos on techniques to use and wondered if anybody had any extra tips.

I recently got in to washing mine, here's the basic kit I got together, I still need to add to it and hoping to do so after Christmas.

Pressure washer (I got a nilfisk c110 £55 amazon)
Foam lance (check out detailing world and find the autobrite thread as they do a good deal from £40)
Two buckets
Grit guard for each bucket
Lambs wool wash mitts (2 preferred, one for top of car then wheels, and one for bottom of the car)
Shampoo (autoglym or mags are both good)
Micro fibre drying towels x2 or a load of micro fibre cloths for drying and other stuff

Things I need to get
Clay bar (Bilt hamber I hear is good for beginners and only requires water as a lube)
Polish (autoglym SRP)
Wax (so many out there so DYOR)
Wax applicator pad

Look up two bucket method washing technique.

Wash order is generally as follows:

Rinse (hose or p washer)
Foam lance
Rinse
Two bucket method
Rinse
Dry
Clay
Rinse
Two bucket wash
Rinse
Dry
Polish
Wax

The first 6 steps should've done every clean, everything else is optional but once you have done a proper clay and polished the car, you should make time to wax every few months to help protect the paint the best.

I wouldn't bother with the snow foam to be honest, I bought all the kit and all it does is look cool and make the car marginally cleaner. It's just a bit of a fad and the foam lances are massively overpriced for what they are (£45 for a plastic bottle and some brass fittings?). You'll still have to wash the car afterwards if you want it to be actually clean, if I run my finger over my car after snow foaming it'll be black. Pressure washers are handy for rinsing and for cleaning patios etc though.

I would argue that the foam lance is doing more work then you think, I find that after a foaming the dirt comes off a lot more easily, if your looking to reduce the amount of swirls you put in to the paint work then they are great.

Although if your not to picky then Ganesh is spot on, you don't need on. Just go with two buckets, a decent lambs wool mitt and some micro ibres :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom