• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New 7950/7970 or Wait for HD8000 series?

Caporegime
@LtMatt

This Question for you seeing I know you use Crossfire :D

Is they any tips that a new first time user to Crossfire should know about?

Nothing too specific tbh. Although, saying that... :p

Make sure your cpu is not a bottleneck. You'll need an i7 @4.3ghz minimum at 1440p. Use the latest beta drivers and caps.

If you experience any severe micro stutter reach for RadeonPro and change the Flip Queue Size to 1 first, if problems still remain reach for vsync and a fps limit of 1 below your vsync fps.

Ensure your case cooling is sufficient. Adding a second gpu puts a lot more heat in the case so if you're cramped for room get some side fans or try to increase airflow.

Try and have a decent amount of space between each gpu to allow them to breathe. I lowered temps on my set up by removing some of the pci-e grills at the back of the case. I have a lot positive pressure from lots of intake fans so air is being forced out of every gap at the rear so increasing the gaps knocked 5c off both gpu temps.

If you have two identical cards you know you're doing a good job (like me :p) if both gpu temps are identical or within 1-2c of each other.

Caporegime
Reference type cards do offer better temps due to blowing out of the case. Im on wf 670's here, theres 5c difference at idle, (30c - 25c). At load the top card hits 71c, bottom one at 55c using a 1-1 fan profile. Case intake is pretty poor though which doesnt help. Gonna see about getting the case side panel modded to take a fan for exhaust.

Caporegime
Reference type cards do offer better temps due to blowing out of the case.

+1.

Its what makes these 7950's great for crossfire as they exhaust heat from the case. I manage to have them running at exactly the same temperature using a custom fan profile in afterburner as well which is great if you're anal about these things like me.

Soldato
OP
Nothing too specific tbh. Although, saying that... :p

Make sure your cpu is not a bottleneck. You'll need an i7 @4.3ghz minimum at 1440p. Use the latest beta drivers and caps.

If you experience any severe micro stutter reach for RadeonPro and change the Flip Queue Size to 1 first, if problems still remain reach for vsync and a fps limit of 1 below your vsync fps.

Ensure your case cooling is sufficient. Adding a second gpu puts a lot more heat in the case so if you're cramped for room get some side fans or try to increase airflow.

Try and have a decent amount of space between each gpu to allow them to breathe. I lowered temps on my set up by removing some of the pci-e grills at the back of the case. I have a lot positive pressure from lots of intake fans so air is being forced out of every gap at the rear so increasing the gaps knocked 5c off both gpu temps.

If you have two identical cards you know you're doing a good job (like me :p) if both gpu temps are identical or within 1-2c of each other.

Thanks
i5 2500k here @4.6ghz

My next upgrade is a bigger ssd and then maybe switch to an i7.

Soldato
Tommy
What monitor you using?

Samsung S23A700D 120Hz:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-168-SA

Out of stock and no eta.

It's a true native 3D panel-Real 3D, not one of these '3D' monitors that(mostly) require the purchase of a separate 3D vision kit on top of the monitor cost, that only works 3D on Nvidia cards.:p

It also runs the same Light Boost tech that 3D vision 2 employs.

There is also the Samsung LS23A750DS/EN -it's the sexy styled version that does DP, where as mine only has DL-DVI, oCuk don't stock it, but they are available.;)

On the subject of Trixx on the locked DD's, I doubt the modded Trixx will do much because as stated earlier, the voltage increment isn't the full range you would expect to get, but it's possible higher Power Limits(soft mod if you don't want to risk bios flashing) can push it further too:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18509458

The modded Trixx doesn't need your installed normal Trixx to be uninstalled, it just works straight from the exe without installation.

Soldato
OP
Samsung S23A700D 120Hz:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-168-SA

Out of stock and no eta.

It's a true native 3D panel-Real 3D, not one of these '3D' monitors that(mostly) require the purchase of a separate 3D vision kit on top of the monitor cost, that only works 3D on Nvidia cards.:p

It also runs the same Light Boost tech that 3D vision 2 employs.

There is also the Samsung LS23A750DS/EN -it's the sexy styled version that does DP, where as mine only has DL-DVI, oCuk don't stock it, but they are available.;)

On the subject of Trixx on the locked DD's, I doubt the modded Trixx will do much because as stated earlier, the voltage increment isn't the full range you would expect to get, but it's possible higher Power Limits(soft mod if you don't want to risk bios flashing) can push it further too:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18509458

The modded Trixx doesn't need your installed normal Trixx to be uninstalled, it just works straight from the exe without installation.

Looks a nice monitor, I set my sights on the BenQ XL2420T now. Hope making right choice lol

Back
Top Bottom