• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New 7950/7970 or Wait for HD8000 series?

Caporegime
The fan is quite loud above 70% but its not really that bad, above 80% its very loud but I game with headphones on and dont hear it.
Plus since bring my overclock down from 1100/1500 to 1000/1500 and stock voltage I never pass 66c so card stays quiet.

Another XFX my card is voltage unlocked I read all cards now are voltage locked I can buy an xfx overclocked version 925 would this still overclock abit? say like 1000/1500 to match my other card.

If you do get another XFX DD i believe this guy can give you voltage control if you ask him nicely to make you a custom bios.

Caporegime
One problem with that. the XFX cards dont have bios switch, I mess up its not working again lol

Never fear. I wrote a guide out for someone else and it worked soundly for him. As long as you take a backup of your original bios you can always force flash it back using a spare or second gpu. :)

DO NOT USE THE BIOS I LINKED BELOW, YOU NEED YOUR OWN CUSTOM BIOS FROM THAT GUY ON OC.NET. HE WILL TAKE A COPY OF YOUR OWN BIOS AND EDIT IT, SO IT WILL WORK SAFELY!!

You might want to write this down... :p

You need to create a bootable usb stick.

1. Download and install the USB disk format tool here.

2. Download the Windows98 system files here.

3. Create a folder called Win98boot on your desktop, extract the files from step 2 into the folder.

4. Plug in your usb stick. Launch the USB disk format tool. Copy these settings, then click format. You need to select quick format, tick dos startup and select the Win98 folder, like ive done below.

TsVVMvN.jpg

5. Click start, then ok and it should do it.

6. Download atiflash. Extract it onto the usb stick.

7. Download the HIS7950.rom bios file. Cut and paste it into the usb stick.

8. If you've done everything correctly your usb stick folder contents should look like this.

nD7zzVf.jpg

9. Make sure all gpu's in your pc are switched onto bios 1.

s2JqQ2Q.jpg

10. Uninstall gpu drivers and any overclocking apps. Do not keep settings delete everything.

11. Restart your pc. Before you here the beep keep tapping F8. Boot from the usb stick.

12. You should be at dos prompt. Type atiflash -i to get the adapter number for both your gpu's. Typically it will be 0 and 1, unless you have a gpu in a third pci-e slot. You need the adapter number to tell it which gpu to flash.

13. To flash gpu 1 type atiflash -p -f 0 his7950.rom and hit enter.

Wait for it to finish. It will prompt you to restart but before we do that we need to flash the second gpu as well.

Now do the second gpu (if you have one)

Type atiflash -p -f 1 his7950.rom

Once that has completed and you get a notification saying you can restart press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart your pc.

All going well you should get a display and boot back into windows. Now you can reinstall fresh new drivers etc. Boost voltage and boost clock is disabled, your card thinks its a non boost card from now on in and you have the option to select 50% power setting as standard with every driver install.

If something goes wrong and you get no display from the cards after flashing the bios. Turn the pc off and flick both cards bios switch to position 2 to use the stock backup bios. Turn the pc back on and all will be ok.

Good luck. :cool:

No blaming me if it goes wrong though, not that it should.

Caporegime
Nice guide
But it makes me feel sick to have to do this with a new gpu :D
You have a guide for if things dont go well?

Wait till you have your second gpu, that way you can force flash the original bios back by putting the borked card in pci-e slot 2 and then flashing the original bios using the display from card 1.

Soldato
Dual 7970's handling everything very very well on a 120Hz screen here :)

The asus monitor I have is brilliant, no ghosting, no input lag, just all round great, so they may be worth a look vs the benq. I know gregster is also very happy with his high refresh asus monitors, iirc he has the big brother to my vg236h.

Caporegime
Is they any 7950 that is confirmed voltage unlocked? I thinking just buy another card lol I not fuzzed about what inside my case looks like tbh.

Consider the HIS 7950. It has a nice cooler which will dump the heat outside of the case which is really handy for crossfire.

The MSI OC 7950 should be unlocked :)

If you look closely at the box it says something about GPU over voltage ;)

+1.

All the 7950's are voltage unlocked i think aside from this one.

Soldato
OP
Guys I am stuck here :( Just when I think I had the hardest choice out the way "Monitor" Now I have this issue with the GPU.

I dont really fancy messing about with the bios if only its 100% fail safe lol

So now I thinking just get the XFX 7950 witch is 900 on the core. If I was just to leave this card at its stock 900 and run my card now at its 1000/1500 will that be ok? or would I need to lower my card down to the 900.

Is they any bench to show the gain from 2x 7950 900/1250 vs 1000/1250

Thanks

Caporegime
Guys I am stuck here :( Just when I think I had the hardest choice out the way "Monitor" Now I have this issue with the GPU.

I dont really fancy messing about with the bios if only its 100% fail safe lol

So now I thinking just get the XFX 7950 witch is 900 on the core. If I was just to leave this card at its stock 900 and run my card now at its 1000/1500 will that be ok? or would I need to lower my card down to the 900.

Is they any bench to show the gain from 2x 7950 900/1250 vs 1000/1250

Thanks

It will be fine although it is better to clock match the cards if you can.

Soldato
OP
Just been speaking to a mate who bought a xfx 7970 about 4 months ago and on Trixx he can adjust the core and the voltage :D

Do any you guys know someone on here using an xfx card, who bought in passed couple months would be good to see if Trixx works for them.

Associate
I'm in the same boat, have a GTX 580 but want to upgrade but don't know to go 7970 or wait for the 8970/8950 series. What are the rumoured UK prices people think the 8970/8950 series will be?

Suspended
I'm in the same boat, have a GTX 580 but want to upgrade but don't know to go 7970 or wait for the 8970/8950 series. What are the rumoured UK prices people think the 8970/8950 series will be?

8970 will almost certainly be less than the GTX 780 but more than the 7970 if its similar in performance to the 780, if its faster than the GTX Titan it will probably be the same price as the 780 or a bit more.

AMD will aim for a performance bracket for less money, exact pricing? who knows...

Back
Top Bottom