• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

680 SLI or Not?

Man of Honour
2GB VRAM is not enough in all games at 1440p. people may not of seen a cap on their 2GB cards but when you have cards with more than 2GB they easily eat into it past that 2GB threshold. BF3 for instance when I had 680s would sit at about 1980-2010MB of VRAM usage. Now I have more than 2GB I regularly see BF3 using anything up to 2400MB.

I've seen it in other games too but can't remember which sorry. Might be because I'd forced a stupid amount of SGSSAA or something though. As I said, can't remember.

I'd go for a 780 if I was dead set on upgrading now though.

2gb of vram works for me running quad sli @1600p

Associate
OP
i'd recommend updating just in case. I installed a 780 this weekend on a Z77X-4UP TH (bios f2) and it wouldn't post no matter what i tried. I updated the bios to f9 and it worked fine afterwards.
so my guess is that you'd experience the same problem.

I may have a look at the latest bios tonight and re-do the OC ayway. See how I feel later on.

I've got two 680's and I've had micro-stutter now and then but I've managed to sort it out through modifying some settings here and there in a few games. Well to be exact it's only ever affected BF3 and CSGO but I've managed to sort it out. Personally I'd say save your money and wait another year before upgrading. You're getting decent frame rates and it's not worth buying another card just so Arma 3 will run solid. Don't forget it's just a beta. After a year I'd re-evaluate your options by then 680's will be cheaper and so will the 700 series.

Yes its always an option but I have an itch ha needs a scratch!! Just helped my brother build his rig on the weekend and the bug has bitten again!!

Op have you thought about selling the GTX 680, keeping the mobo and buying a GTX 690. The GTX 690 is faster than a Titan or GTX 780 and even looks very modern still as it uses the same type cooler as the 7 series.

I have a HTPC with an i3 3220 in it that I was going to but a 7850 for at some point anyway so if I were to get a 780 I was going to put the 680 with the HTPC.

May be a bit much pairing the i3 with a 680 but saves buying/selling and would end up with a better card than the 7850 then (budget for the HTPC was going to be £150)

Associate
OP
2GB VRAM is not enough in all games at 1440p. people may not of seen a cap on their 2GB cards but when you have cards with more than 2GB they easily eat into it past that 2GB threshold. BF3 for instance when I had 680s would sit at about 1980-2010MB of VRAM usage. Now I have more than 2GB I regularly see BF3 using anything up to 2400MB.

I've seen it in other games too but can't remember which sorry. Might be because I'd forced a stupid amount of SGSSAA or something though. As I said, can't remember.

I'd go for a 780 if I was dead set on upgrading now though.

I posted some of my findings with regard to VRAM above and the only one that gets close is Arma 3 (of the games I play) and that still had 10% spare so 2gb it's fine for now, just wonder what will happen in he next few years as I won't be wanting an upgrade for a while if i spend money on going SLI now (don't hold me to that though!!).

Soldato
670 SLI here, never been happier.

I have noticed stutter in the past with it, I'll admit that. HOWEVER - it was not down to the GPUs, my CPU and RAM overclocks were *slightly* unstable. Don't be quick to blame the GPUs straight away - it could be other issues with your system. IF you get it that is.

Associate
2GB VRAM is not enough in all games at 1440p. people may not of seen a cap on their 2GB cards but when you have cards with more than 2GB they easily eat into it past that 2GB threshold. BF3 for instance when I had 680s would sit at about 1980-2010MB of VRAM usage. Now I have more than 2GB I regularly see BF3 using anything up to 2400MB..

Aye, but BF3 has some kind of dynamic RAM allocation going on. Even at 1440p with 4x MSAA (as described in my previous post), I am not running into any RAM Limitations.

Soldato

Er, isn't that just caching/shadowing? I.E the more ram available to the GPU the more it will use whither it needs to or not.

Associate
OP
Leaning towards a 780 at the moment but as I'm running in an FT02 (90 degree rotated motherboard setup) I can't decide which cooler type to go for. I know the leaf blower style is supposed to be best in the case but it's so loud on the 680 and I really fancy the 780 Windforce 3x OC. Anyone have any experience with the Windforce 780 or similar in the FT02?

Not sure what the temps would be like in the case with the cooler style?

SM

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom