• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD driver problem

Soldato
Oh fortune how you mock me.

So I haven't used an AMD GPU for ages because I always thought the drivers were pants.

I installed my 7990 a minute ago and go to install the drivers.

The screen switches off, the resolution goes up, the screen goes black - unresponsive PC.

That's it. Upon reboot the drivers are not installed.

Help.

Soldato
Oh fortune how you mock me.

So I haven't used an AMD GPU for ages because I always thought the drivers were pants.

I installed my 7990 a minute ago and go to install the drivers.

The screen switches off, the resolution goes up, the screen goes black - unresponsive PC.

That's it. Upon reboot the drivers are not installed.

Help.

Sounds like you just come from an Nvidia card? They is always a chance system will not play nice when coming from one card to another.

You best chance is driver fusion the left overs from Nvidia drivers, and then run DDU from here, this will completely wipe clean the Amd drivers.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379505

Soldato
OP
I tried everything. I spent ages making sure the Nvidia stuff was gone.

Any way, third time lucky... Wiggled the mouse like a belm and it managed to go on. Just ran Firestrike, not bad. Will update it to 8.1 tomorrow.

Caporegime
Andy i have a fix for you. You might want to remember this for next time. I believe Windows 8/8.1 is at fault for this issue.

When you install the AMD package and it starts installing, right before the driver installs it comes up with a message asking you if you want to trust AMD's certificate. Make sure you tick to always trust AMD. However for some reason every now and then Windows decides to ignore that and make the AMD driver an untrusted certificate. If this happens Windows will block the driver from installing and the pc will hang.

To solve this you need to restart your pc, go to the start menu run box and type in Cert and press enter. On the left hand side click Untrusted certificates and delete the entry on the right. That will be the AMD certificate. Somehow Windows stopped trusting it and blocked it.

AMD certificate blocked by Windows
qH4qiA4.jpg

Despite still being in the trusted list
B7z9ep3.jpg

It happens very often to me since moving to Windows 8. I've been trying to figure this out for months and only recently have i discovered the solution. I'm now about to forward this on to AMD & Thracks to make them aware of it.

My advice would be to delete the trusted and untrusted certificate. Next time you install the new AMD driver make sure the box is ticked to always trust the AMD certificate. Regardless of if the driver install works or fails upon pc restart go in and make sure the certificate is not blocked again. I find sometimes that even after installing the driver safely windows will still block it and what you'll find is the pc may freeze when you uninstall the driver. Happened to me once or twice.

You can try disabling Driver Signature Enforcement as well as an alternative fix. Just make sure you unblock the certificate first.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...=qAXOTy68qsjMmr86ckNbCA&bvm=bv.57752919,d.d2k

Last edited:
Caporegime
I narrowed it down to be an issue with the certificate as i originally got around the issue somehow by not ticking the box that said always trust amd certificate. Up till 13.11 that worked and allowed me to install more often than not without trouble. From 13.11 that no longer worked though. The only thing that did work sometimes was ticking always trust. Even that didnt work everytime. It was then that i started searching for the certificate area in Windows 8. Then i discovered that it was putting the certificate, or at least part of it, in the untrusted section. Deleting it allowed the driver to install correctly.

Soldato
OP
Aw I was looking forward to you cutting your card in half with a chainsaw

:D

haha I nearly spat my coffee all over the screen ! Well remembered sir ! :eek:

I'd have to quarter this bugger, given it's two cards on one PCB :D

Matt - you're a gent. Thanks for that. I'll actually need it because I'm going to 8.1 soon.

That post should be stickied really.

Caporegime
:D

haha I nearly spat my coffee all over the screen ! Well remembered sir ! :eek:

I'd have to quarter this bugger, given it's two cards on one PCB :D

Matt - you're a gent. Thanks for that. I'll actually need it because I'm going to 8.1 soon.

That post should be stickied really.

No problem Andy. I'm not sure if its AMD's fault or Microsofts really. What i have done is emailed Thracks the AMD rep and given him a link to this thread. I will update once he gets back to me.

Soldato
OP
No problem Andy. I'm not sure if its AMD's fault or Microsofts really. What i have done is emailed Thracks the AMD rep and given him a link to this thread. I will update once he gets back to me.

It's Windows 8 mate. It has forced driver signing that you have to disable.

I had issues with my LCD info screen because it wouldn't even let me install the driver. Kept saying driver isn't signed, no option to skip.

You have to go through a process and reboot your PC with driver signing disabled.

Caporegime
It's Windows 8 mate. It has forced driver signing that you have to disable.

I had issues with my LCD info screen because it wouldn't even let me install the driver. Kept saying driver isn't signed, no option to skip.

You have to go through a process and reboot your PC with driver signing disabled.

Tried that Andy, didn't work. That worked maybe one out of eight attempts for me if that. The certificate still gets blocked, even with disabling driver signature enforcement.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a DGM 1440p monitor and had same symptoms when using double dvi port. It's a nice monitor but can be a bit flaky at times as it doesn't have its own drivers.

Swapped to a displayport cable and problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom