• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Soldato
Received my Palit Super Jetstream model yesterday afternoon.

20082015047mcufb.jpg

I can't stress enough how impressed I am with their cooler. It looks like absolutely nothing special, yet it keeps temperatures at 72 degrees max under benchmark load whilst remaining almost silent. The fans reach a peak of ~1200rpm, despite it being in a Define R4 with the vent covers on and case fans running at 5V. I've had cards with higher idle fan speeds than that. I honestly don't know how they manage such good thermals at such low noise levels from a dual fan cooler (even if it is 2.5 slots). Also boosts to 1380MHz right out of the box, which is 139MHz over the listed boost clock. No coil whine either. :D

I had their 980 Jetstream for about five months and was very happy with that as well. Considering they're one of the "lesser" brands in most people's eyes, they make damn good cards. About the only thing I don't like is their gigantic, yet slightly flimsy boxes.

Man of Honour
OP
the KFA2 gtx 980ti hof does it as well. had mine since monday from OcUK and it is kinda annoying . does it even with a fan curve set.

Received my Palit Super Jetstream model yesterday afternoon.

20082015047mcufb.jpg

I can't stress enough how impressed I am with their cooler. It looks like absolutely nothing special, yet it keeps temperatures at 72 degrees max under benchmark load whilst remaining almost silent. The fans reach a peak of ~1200rpm, despite it being in a Define R4 with the vent covers on and case fans running at 5V. I've had cards with higher idle fan speeds than that. I honestly don't know how they manage such good thermals at such low noise levels from a dual fan cooler (even if it is 2.5 slots). Also boosts to 1380MHz right out of the box, which is 139MHz over the listed boost clock. No coil whine either. :D

I had their 980 Jetstream for about five months and was very happy with that as well. Considering they're one of the "lesser" brands in most people's eyes, they make damn good cards. About the only thing I don't like is their gigantic, yet slightly flimsy boxes.

Welcome and TROH updated.:)

Soldato
I am not sure if it will be any different with 980ti hof but bios modding with 980 hof doesn't improve anything much as voltage and power limits are hard locked. There are tools available for extreme overclockers and not to general public to remove these limits.

980ti's typically don't hit max voltage before they hit the power limit, so yeah unlocking the power limit should help - though I thought the HOF came with a 2nd bios with higher power limit anyway?

Associate
980ti's typically don't hit max voltage before they hit the power limit, so yeah unlocking the power limit should help - though I thought the HOF came with a 2nd bios with higher power limit anyway?

not sure about all 980ti's. Isnt it down to individual vendor that if they offer dual bios or not. We are talking specifically about Galax 980ti hof here. They usually come with a hyper boost button at the back that pretty much doubles the power limit. But in hof 980's any bios modding didn't help with unlocking the power or voltage limits. I am interested to know if that's the same for 980ti hof.

I know there are some tools to unlock that, which are only available to pro overclockers for extreme overclocking on LN2.

Soldato
Overclocking a 980Ti is pretty much unattainable, the power limit is reached as early as 1400-1450Mhz. I've seen my card throttle at 65c also.

Nvidia just don't want us doing it. Are there really so many RMAs due to overclocking?

Associate
Overclocking a 980Ti is pretty much unattainable, the power limit is reached as early as 1400-1450Mhz. I've seen my card throttle at 65c also.

Nvidia just don't want us doing it. Are there really so many RMAs due to overclocking?

Why not just modify the BIOS, it's quite easy.

I have modified my Palit super jetstream BIOS to allow 120% power limit and now have an overclock of 1500Mhz core and don't reach the power limit in the games I've played so far.

Associate
Why not just modify the BIOS, it's quite easy.

I have modified my Palit super jetstream BIOS to allow 120% power limit and now have an overclock of 1500Mhz core and don't reach the power limit in the games I've played so far.

My card becomes unstable past 1445 anyway, haven't tried manually increasing voltage though. Scared to touch it.

Associate
My card becomes unstable past 1445 anyway, haven't tried manually increasing voltage though. Scared to touch it.

Yeah fair enough, It would be really nice if we could monitor the VRM temps, it does feel alittle risky overclocking without knowing pretty basic info like that.
Having said that I'm only using +20mv (out of a possible +87mv) so not much of an overvolt.

Associate

with air cooling I can understand why they do not want to give us too much control, where vrm is not actively cooled. It becomes more of an issue if you are water cooling and all the options that you need to overclock better are locked. but again many vendors will not rma if the original cooler was removed.

Associate
Depending on your asic quality your starting voltage will be lower and whether you set +87mv or not your card will hit voltage reliabilty before overvoltage limit. No idea what voltage reliability is i suspect this is a hard limit by nvidia to preserve the lifetime of the chip and is based on x mv over your default. My card hits voltage reliability with only +25mv. So something must be something like i suggested but no real idea on what it actually is. Would be nice to know. You will hit power limits first which you can bios unlock no problem then voltage reliability and not sure you can do much about it in bios.

Soldato
Finally got my ocuk 980ti and its alright. No coil whine and clocks up to 1450 and runs a cool 43c under water. The asic is 66.9% so not sure if I will bother with a custom bios. Coming from a 670 a few mhz higher will not diminish the improvement over it.

Associate
Depending on your asic quality your starting voltage will be lower and whether you set +87mv or not your card will hit voltage reliabilty before overvoltage limit. No idea what voltage reliability is i suspect this is a hard limit by nvidia to preserve the lifetime of the chip and is based on x mv over your default. My card hits voltage reliability with only +25mv. So something must be something like i suggested but no real idea on what it actually is. Would be nice to know. You will hit power limits first which you can bios unlock no problem then voltage reliability and not sure you can do much about it in bios.

My Asic quality is 72.9 and my stock voltage is 1.199V

I read of people using 1.287V with custom BIOS's so if there is a hard limit that cannot be changed in the BIOS then it's pretty high. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom