Cheap Gaming - around £600

Associate
Hey so I was looking into this a couple month back, but anyway no case, OS or peripherals needed, total budget up to £650

i7:
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £637.84
(includes shipping: £0.00)

i5:

Total: £593.87

Thoughts? Is it worth the extra for the i7, and anything wrong with the PSU?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the input guys, so like this then? Suppose I could chuck in a BR-rom instead for an extra £23 bringing it to just over £650, not at all necessary though but another option

Total: £629.88

This card seems relatively compareable except for the stream processors, don't know what that is but it's £54 difference

Last edited:
Associate
Associate
The numbers you can see on graphics cards are not very useful for comparing between them really, as it only works if they're on the same architecture. But the 380X is a lot better than the 370 :) to get a very rough idea: http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1592?vs=1590

Things you can consider about your spec, inspired by reading Padraig's post:

- Save money by not getting the bundle - his CPU & mobo pair is cheaper & still good.
- With an unlocked processor you want to get yourself a reasonable cooler. Doesn't have to be pricey :) his pick is good if you're willing to pay that much. It'll keep everything nice and cool, nice and quiet and give you the option of clocking further if you want.
- While it's not a machine that will draw loads of power, it's still nice to get a quality PSU. I know very little about your choice, it may be fine, but generally it's an area newcomers skimp on when they shouldn't. Note: I'm not saying get one with a higher wattage rating, but a more quality one (normally indicated by the 80 plus rating e.g. gold is good, though it's not really the goal of the rating system - or some manufacturers are good such as delta, superflower and seasonic and some brands use them a lot such as EVGA & Antec)

Last edited:
Associate
That's actually not as bad as I expected UTmaniac! :)

2m46tj5.png

Soldato
I came across it last night and it almost seems too good to be true, especially given the system is put together for you normally within 24 hours and you get the extended g'tee.

Granted, the motherboard is a relatively basic Z170, but my better half I would be wanting stability over amazing overclock.

I would recommend you look up each SSD and m.2 drive, if you decide to splash out on the newer tech, the read/write speeds vary quite a bit and IIRC one of the m.2 drive options is AHCI (not Nvme). ;)

Associate
OP
Ah seems I missed a great deal:(, work got in the way so I wasn't checking here, did pick up an SSD though (I believe I have an additional cable somewhere, not too much hassle to pick one up if I don't) and he's decided on a case from here so I've added that, on the choice of the PSU I was really going for something semi/modular which is why I previously picked the Cougar, better to just go for a normal one and anything else I'm overlooking?

Total: £639.80

Thanks guys

Associate
I would spend a bit more on a better brand of PSU and will you be using the cd rom other then installing windows? I would get a usb stick with windows on it instead and use the money saved on a better PSU

Back
Top Bottom