• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Thinking of Giving up on AMD 390

Associate
So i built the Mrs a new PC about 5-6 weeks ago, She loves it (spec it sig) however she and I am getting so frustrated with it. all im having is Driver issues with it. She mainly plays two games, Black Ops (new one) and GTA V. Now with the latest Crimson Cod plays fine however GTAV gets black patches all over the screen (i had another thread for this problem) and randomly the in game GPS does not work (purple line comes and goes) so i rolled back to Catalyst drivers and GTA V works fine again. But COD crashes out with e black screen.

So i have un installed fully with DDU etc and i can either get one or the other stable but cant get a single driver to play both games. Every Event viewer log claims the driver crashed but recovered. I have spoken to OCUK and they have set me up an RMA but i know they will test it on a bench and it will pass a few tests rather than be actual in game testing. they have said they can send it to MSI but it could take a month etc. Taking her GPU away for a month is just not really an option.

I really have come to the end of my tether with it as i get it in the ear every time it crashes.

So I have come to a cross road. Do i RMA the card to probably be told its software and nothing hardware related then be back at square one.

Sell the card and buy something else.

or Wait for the next update of crimson and see if it works. (is this likely to happen soon?)

I have spoken to AMD and they have said that i should just keep trying older drivers until i find a stable one then not upgrade to Crimson. This seems a bit of a cop out to me and does not solve the underlying issue.

So what i really want to determine is if its hardware fault or just a driver fault. Given the fact i can get the games to work changing drivers around im guessing its drivers?

I have put another Graphics card into her PC to eliminate issues and my 980 works perfectly in her machine.

at the moment a baseball bat seems appealing....

Soldato
Unfortunately it can be a bit of a hit or miss sometimes when it comes to graphic. Like how you have not having any problem with 980, there are others who report issues like stuttering with their Nvidia in some games (GTA V in particular being most frequent).

What Windows are you using at the moment by the way? Windows 10 is known to be causing people headache with their graphic cards may it be AMD or Nvidia...

...oh and soundcards as well.

Associate
its par for the course on red or green at the moment unfortunately,
for example im unable to run anything newer than 355.82 on my 970 without constant crashing (despite trying every release up to the current 359.06), and AMD have given you the only real advice id give, which is to go older and older untill you find a driver stable on everything you run.

Associate
OP
im running 10 pro 64bit on both machines, Interestingly i get stutters on my 980 if i tab out then tab back in to games but if i tab out again then back in it goes. I can live with that. What i cant live with is the Mrs moaning lol. She has played Cod for the last 4 hours on the latest drivers fine (crimson) but GTA screws up instantly. I guess i will try keep rolling back and back. But how will i know when a new one works lol.
The new crimson layout is great i really like the interface its as good as Nvidia imo and thats certainly not perfect. I have had a bad driver from Nvidia but they seem a bit quicker at releasing another to patch it.

Soldato
try using the 15.11.1 drivers.

I had issues with my 390 and core clock speeds dropping loads not never reaching 1010mhz which is the default clock.

someone suggested using them drivers as its before crimson was released

Associate
Try underclocking the card. Knock 100Mhz off the GPU + Memory clock. Its a simple/quick way to improve stability. I've successfully stabilised several AMD/ NVIDIA graphics card doing this in recent years. Not ideal but is better then having to RMA.

Soldato
I've used both the older drivers and the Crimson with my 390. Although I had the bouncing clocks with the first Crimson I've had none of the black patches or purples lines or other artifacts you speak of. This sound strongly like a hardware issue to me personally I'd be looking to RMA it. If you get "driver stopped responding" or "driver recovered" errors its almost certainly a hardware issue in my experience. Or as suggested above try downclocking it (if its a factory overclock it could have become unstable)

Permabanned
I tried Crimson and had issues and then I rolled back to 15.11 and had issues, I'd say 15.9 or 15.10 rather than 15.11. I was running everything I play on those for a while and it was fine.

Caporegime
So i built the Mrs a new PC about 5-6 weeks ago, She loves it (spec it sig) however she and I am getting so frustrated with it. all im having is Driver issues with it. She mainly plays two games, Black Ops (new one) and GTA V. Now with the latest Crimson Cod plays fine however GTAV gets black patches all over the screen (i had another thread for this problem) and randomly the in game GPS does not work (purple line comes and goes) so i rolled back to Catalyst drivers and GTA V works fine again. But COD crashes out with e black screen.

So i have un installed fully with DDU etc and i can either get one or the other stable but cant get a single driver to play both games. Every Event viewer log claims the driver crashed but recovered. I have spoken to OCUK and they have set me up an RMA but i know they will test it on a bench and it will pass a few tests rather than be actual in game testing. they have said they can send it to MSI but it could take a month etc. Taking her GPU away for a month is just not really an option.

I really have come to the end of my tether with it as i get it in the ear every time it crashes.

So I have come to a cross road. Do i RMA the card to probably be told its software and nothing hardware related then be back at square one.

Sell the card and buy something else.

or Wait for the next update of crimson and see if it works. (is this likely to happen soon?)

I have spoken to AMD and they have said that i should just keep trying older drivers until i find a stable one then not upgrade to Crimson. This seems a bit of a cop out to me and does not solve the underlying issue.

So what i really want to determine is if its hardware fault or just a driver fault. Given the fact i can get the games to work changing drivers around im guessing its drivers?

I have put another Graphics card into her PC to eliminate issues and my 980 works perfectly in her machine.

at the moment a baseball bat seems appealing....

Are you using MSAA?

I have a suggestion you can try, but this is with my unofficial hat on.

Try placing the 15.11.1 (not Crimson) DLL files in the GTA V folder. Additionally, you can try the 15.7.1 DLL files.

Link
Source

Hpjacri.jpg

fp6VUOT.jpg

You can report the issue here and provide screenshots.

Associate
OP
MSAA X2

I Have seemed to have fixed it, If i run the latest crimson drivers COD is fine then run Direct X 10.1 on GTA V it seems to run stable and fine. (was on Direct X 11) not sure what that is all about. I still get some random pixels doing odd things in menus of the game but its playable

Back
Top Bottom