• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Pascal GTX 1080 Owners Thread

Soldato
According to MSI afterburner my card seems to go up to 1823mhz in siege..is it normal for it to go that high at stock? Not that I'm complaining!

Yep. When there is headroom in terms of thermal they can boost quiet nicely. One reason why aftermarket cards and one under water typically boost higher and can maintain boost for sustained periods with quiet fan profiles.

Soldato
Yep. When there is headroom in terms of thermal they can boost quiet nicely. One reason why aftermarket cards and one under water typically boost higher and can maintain boost for sustained periods with quiet fan profiles.

I assume this varies from card to card? So is anyone noticing any drops below the advertised spec as per some of the reviews? Can't say I've noticed any until it auto clocks down on menus etc. I've noticed slight drops in game but nothing anywhere near the 1733mhz boost speed.

Soldato
I assume this varies from card to card? So is anyone noticing any drops below the advertised spec as per some of the reviews? Can't say I've noticed any until it auto clocks down on menus etc. I've noticed slight drops in game but nothing anywhere near the 1733mhz boost speed.

Yes. first of all the boost clock of 1733 quoted is fairly conservative of Nvidia, more often then not it will boost higher when temps are good. How high it goes also varies on the quality of the chip. One of my two boosts to 1848 without touching anything and the other to 1823 for example. I expect this is in part why boost is specified as so low, to take into account the various silicon quirks.

As the card gets hotter the boost will reduce accordingly. Once you reach the thermal target point (by default set to around 83 degrees but can be changed) the card will downclock more aggressively to stay at the target point.

For reviews its likely they were going over the thermal target point causing the boost to lower while for yourself that's not the case. Like yourself I find the basic fan profile does enough to hold the boost speed fine most the time no issue.

Soldato
Brill. I may add another in SLI at some point! Which bridge would be best to get?

Best Bridge would be the upcoming Nvidia HB bridge or the various incarnations the manufactures such as EVGA, MSI et al are producing similar to that.

I personally do believe the current crop of LED bling bridges such as the EVGA V2 and what not would be fine, but as Nvidia have not been explicitly clear, waiting for the former would be the best bet.

Soldato
Best Bridge would be the upcoming Nvidia HB bridge or the various incarnations the manufactures such as EVGA, MSI et al are producing similar to that.

I personally do believe the current crop of LED bling bridges such as the EVGA V2 and what not would be fine, but as Nvidia have not been explicitly clear, waiting for the former would be the best bet.

Thanks mate what would we would be looking at price wise? I assume my 750w G2 PSU would be fine to run two?

Soldato
Asus 1080 Strix got 2 HDMI but on OCUK show incorrect info .

8eee7f36-a58c-1d88-b306-70b4d994f00a.jpg

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING/

i told ocuk about this 2 odd days ago & they said thell fix it :(

Soldato
Man of Honour
OP
User Videos.

Dicehunter - Alien Isolation - 4K + Max Settings - SMAA T2X

Dicehunter - Aliens vs Predator - 4K + Max settings - 4 x MSAA

Dicehunter - Batman Arkham Asylum - 4K + Max Settings - 8 x MSAA

Dicehunter - Batman Arkham City - 4K + Max Settings - 8 x MSAA

Dicehunter - Batman Arkham Origins - 4K + Max Settings - No AA

Dicehunter - Batman Arkham Knight - 4K + Max Settings - No AA

Dicehunter - Bioshock Infinite - 4K + Max Settings - FXAA

Dicehunter - Company Of Heroes 1 - 4K + Max Settings - 8 x MSAA

[media=youtube]V4If6N4GLSo[/media]

Dicehunter - Company Of Heroes 2 - 4K + Max Settings - No AA

[media=youtube]kmco0RBHSB4[/media]

Dicehunter - Dirt Rally - 4K + Max Settings - No AA

[media=youtube]tXGmqONhqzA[/media]

Dicehunter - Doom tech demo - 4K + very high settings

[media=youtube]TQdxKNM-deY[/media]

Dicehunter - Far Cry Primal - 4K + Max Settings - No AA

[media=youtube]mMMp_sR99Xc[/media]

Dicehunter - FF XIV A Realm Reborn - 4K + Max Settings - No AA

[media=youtube]sgsqFWaqYCA[/media]

Dicehunter - FF XIV ARR Heavensward - 4K + Max Settings - No AA

[media=youtube]FChsm5YU2cQ[/media]

Dicehunter - Gears Of War - 4K + Max Settings - FXAA

[media=youtube]-3OssB8VjRw[/media]

Dicehunter - Grid Autospot - 4K + Max Settings - 8 x MSAA

[media=youtube]MuJxxEPwQNc[/media]

Dicehunter - Grid Autospot Attract - 4K + Max Settings - 8 x MSAA

[media=youtube]-wdXzCxid8M[/media]

Dicehunter - Hitman Absolution - 4K + Max Settings - No AA

[media=youtube]FRq8kxS4QYc[/media]

Dicehunter - Middle Earth SOM - 4K + Max Settings - FXAA

[media=youtube]fYkDfJnLHdI[/media]

Dicehunter - Monster Hunter Online - 4K + Max Settings - No AA

[media=youtube]xJGVP4G28Bw[/media]

Dicehunter - Rainbow Six Siege - 4K + Max Settings - T-AA

[media=youtube]mgmQ-bH7XBY[/media]

Dicehunter - Resident Evil 6 - 4K Max Settings - FXAA3HQ

[media=youtube]GAt5jV9xk2M[/media]

Dicehunter - Sleeping Dogs DE - 4K + Max Settings - No AA

[media=youtube]BMG4GIHVhBI[/media]

Dicehunter - Sniper Elite III - 4K + Max Settings - High AA

[media=youtube]YsbDRpPN574[/media]

Dicehunter - Thief - 4K + Max Settings - FXAA + SSAA

[media=youtube]HGp0YAI17Pk[/media]

Dicehunter - Tomb Raider - 4K + Max Settings - No AA

[media=youtube]ZCeVnJSr7rk[/media]

Last edited:
Caporegime
Cheers

This card is insane....

The Ti variant is going to change gaming forever.... It will be an absolute beast...I sure hope NV release one...

This thing is running 2075\5454 on stock vcore temps 77c with fan at 60%

Soldato
Cheers

This card is insane....

The Ti variant is going to change gaming forever.... It will be an absolute beast...I sure hope NV release one...

This thing is running 2075\5454 on stock vcore temps 77c with fan at 60%

Thats amazing overclock makes wonder what sort of clocks we will get with aftermarket coolers like evga ftw and classified.

Soldato
No,

Temps are within range.

oddly I think my radiator fan is helping.

I have it mounted on the side panel of the case directly above the gpu...

Hmm, I hope many of those who went on and on about the earlier throttling issues and how the 1080 was a failure because of it from a few earlier cards with initial drivers and making a big deal of it are reading .........
It might be just a case that the production cards are just slightly different in one way or another, or proper drivers now ready.
:D
....I thought I read you weren't going to get a FE anywya ? - haaaaa :D

Last edited:
Associate

No need to hope, it's pretty much a given considering NVIDIA have released one for the last two generations. It'll have a much larger gap on a Titan X, but I don't know about changing gaming forever. Will definitely do until the 1180 comes out and loadsa ppl ditch their 1080Ti's. The cycle to have the flagship GPU will continue.

Back
Top Bottom