• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Caporegime
No indication he saw performance figures, and even if he did again that's pre-release drivers - and again there is room for variation based on cooling solution and I doubt he saw all the possibilities. Again, I don't see any reason this card needs to go anywhere near a 980Ti to be good at $200... it's just amusing that one comment from someone who knows some but not necessarily everything makes everyone go nuts :p

Ay? They are in stock. He has no doubt had a play or at least spoken to 8pack who will have :p

Soldato
'Instruction prefetching' alone is geared towards improving throughput by helping shader utilisation. so even at the same clocks a GCN4 shader should be faster than one on a previous iteration.
By how much, though? 5%? 0.5%? 50%?

Point is - the main priority for the architectural improvements may not have been largely performance-based.

We just dont really know.

Soldato
Think its stupid too expect 980Ti performance out off a $200 GPU.

reference maybe wont be but thirdparty will be with oc.
normally a die shrink offers entusiast end at half the price but Nvidia added a special tax 100$ for the fools edition.
Biggest thing in cards is the 480 and soon Vega.
years from now no one will recall Pascal other than a failed tax experiment.

Man of Honour
OP
normally a die shrink offers entusiast end at half the price but Nvidia added a special tax 100$ for the fools edition.
years from now no one will recall Pascal other than a successful tax experiment.

Fixed.:)

Caporegime
No indication he saw performance figures, and even if he did again that's pre-release drivers - and again there is room for variation based on cooling solution and I doubt he saw all the possibilities. Again, I don't see any reason this card needs to go anywhere near a 980Ti to be good at $200... it's just amusing that one comment from someone who knows some but not necessarily everything makes everyone go nuts :p

You carry on believing what you will David, whilst I will take Gibbo and common sense instead.

Caporegime
derailed_train.jpg

:D :D :D

Associate
Gibbo said he 'held' a Sapphire card, thats it.

OcUK will be first with all cards just like 1080 and 1070. :)

We are Kings of VGA, that won't change when it comes to AMD! :)

So the moment I get a sniff of custom cards they shall be online. I know board partners have them but whether they want to launch is another thing, I have even held the Sapphire ones when I was in Asia couple weeks ago.

So he met the board partners amd presumably bought stock. I'm certain he knows what he's buying ;)

Please don't start the hype train again :p

Soldato
Not my fault if they don't know a CPU bottleneck if it hits them over the head.

Here are a single watercooled 980 v an air cooled 980 Ti.

I just used the out of the box clockspeeds but they can both overclock by about the same amount.

I did not even bother to change the default fan profile on the 980 Ti.

This should only be used as a rough guide but it backs up what I said about performance difference.

lKkOXv3.jpg

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/8881869/fs/8881704#

Proves nothing at all. None of your cards are at stock Nvidia factory settings and i doubt they are cpu bottlenecked with a 6700k at 4.5ghz. Lets leave it there with your 2 at varying boosts show a 40% gap in performance.

OcUK Staff
Ay? They are in stock. He has no doubt had a play or at least spoken to 8pack who will have :p

Only powered one up to check for noise, being to busy to test.

My comment was basically common sense, the entire internet and review sites are saying 390-390X and circa 980 levels, so I just had to step in when some people were trying to create false rumours by saying 980Ti / Titan X levels as people obviously do not realise how quick a 980Ti is.

Its a good 30-40% quicker than even an overclocked 980!!!! So in general performance I cannot see it, be good to be proven wrong as they'd sell like crazy but at same time I think people's expectations should not be so crazy or deluded. Of course in an AMD DX12 where AMD is typically stronger than NVIDIA then I suspect it could be possible in a game such as Ashes of Singularity DX12 where cards like 390X do very well, its fair to say an RX 480 will do superb.

Soldato
years from now no one will recall Pascal other than a failed tax experiment.

Flopper reminds me of Chemical Ali :D

Last edited:
Associate
Earlier in the thread it was stated that AMD were mad at WCCFtech for blabbing too much about the RX480's super duper performance, so AMD have obviously been on the blower to Gibbo to try and put the lid on things until the launch.

Everyone back on the hype train!

Associate
Only powered one up to check for noise, being to busy to test.

My comment was basically common sense, the entire internet and review sites are saying 390-390X and circa 980 levels, so I just had to step in when some people were trying to create false rumours by saying 980Ti / Titan X levels as people obviously do not realise how quick a 980Ti is.

Its a good 30-40% quicker than even an overclocked 980!!!! So in general performance I cannot see it, be good to be proven wrong as they'd sell like crazy but at same time I think people's expectations should not be so crazy or deluded. Of course in an AMD DX12 where AMD is typically stronger than NVIDIA then I suspect it could be possible in a game such as Ashes of Singularity DX12 where cards like 390X do very well, its fair to say an RX 480 will do superb.

Right lads train crash cleared up and repaired... so back on the hype train everyone ...Gibbo only powered one up to check for noise so skys the limit :p

Back
Top Bottom