• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Polaris RX 480 Owners Thread.

Associate
2a1f9f.jpg

You can add me to the list!

Mixed feelings about this card though, seems to perform well at stock and can't really tell the difference from my old MSI 980 Gaming, but this card won't overclock at all (79% ASIC). The fan is also awful at higher speeds when the card heats up.

Would be interested in a custom cooler or kit to attach a AIO water cooler to be honest, this card would be a good contender for needing one!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
2a1f9f.jpg

You can add me to the list!

Mixed feelings about this card though, seems to perform well at stock and can't really tell the difference from my old MSI 980 Gaming, but this card won't overclock at all (79% ASIC). The fan is also awful at higher speeds when the card heats up.

Would be interested in a custom cooler or kit to attach a AIO water cooler to be honest, this card would be a good contender for needing one!

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

FWWrWvL.png

Date 01/07/2016, Make Sapphire Reference 8gb, SouthEastBlue, Link
Date 01/07/2016, Make Sapphire Reference 8gb, KonfuciousK, Link
Date 30/06/2016, Make Sapphire Reference 4gb, Tute, Link
Date 30/06/2016, Make Sapphire Reference 8gb, Overlag, Link
Date 30/06/2016, Make Gigabyte Reference 8gb, MDPlatts, Link
Date 30/06/2016, Make XFX Reference 4gb, Bantu, Link
Date 30/06/2016, Make XFX Reference 4gb, TheLegendOfMart, Link
Date 30/06/2016, Make Sapphire Reference 8gb, montymint, Link
Date 30/06/2016, Make Sapphire Reference 8gb, roy23, Link
Date 29/06/2016, Make Sapphire Reference 8gb, stulid, Link
Date 29/06/2016, Make Sapphire Reference 8gb, Kaapstad, Link
Date 29/06/2016, Make Sapphire Reference 8gb, whyscotty, Link
Date 29/06/2016, Make Sapphire Reference 8gb, AMDMatt, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your RX 480.​

Soldato
Black is Nitro: OcUK will be first, I ordered 2000 units yesterday direct with the owner of Sapphire. Nitro is black, 1x 8-pin, OC not yet confirmed but likely to be 1325-1350MHz out the box, runs much cooler, quieter and has really nice backplate.

Toxic is silver: These will come later, be clocked higher, silver and cost more, quite a bit more and be extremely short stocks, probably 1350-1375MHz clocks.

Gibbo, what would make the Toxic significantly more expensive for just 25MHz more?

Any news on other special editions by other manufacturers?

Soldato
Yeah I think I can literally push mine to 2% on the slider... Awful! lol

To be fair you both have reference cards. The 1600MHz figure was for the AIB cards. Reading between three lines the reference cards weren't really designed with over clocking in mind as evidenced by the 6pin and extra power draw from the pcie slot.

Associate
Reference or not, this is the worst clocking card I have ever come across in terms of percentage increase over stock speed.

My old reference GTX 970 in my daughters PC still did 1450Mhz with limited 106% power limit.

Not saying the RX480 is bad (yet), but I'm not mega impressed considering it seems that out of the box speeds are already pushing the card near as far as it will go.

Associate
Reference or not, this is the worst clocking card I have ever come across in terms of percentage increase over stock speed.

My old reference GTX 970 in my daughters PC still did 1450Mhz with limited 106% power limit.

Not saying the RX480 is bad (yet), but I'm not mega impressed considering it seems that out of the box speeds are already pushing the card near as far as it will go.

Is there any overclocking potential boasted on the reference cards box or reading material? Specially since there is this new Wattman tool in the software?

Associate
Is there any overclocking potential boasted on the reference cards box or reading material? Specially since there is this new Wattman tool in the software?

Nothing on Sapphires box or manuals at least, not sure about other brands.

It does seem rather odd that they would release the Wattman tab within their Radeon settings and it's of little use in adjusting clock speed. Only positive I have had is running the card slightly undervolted as per the German website that AMDMatt posted somewhere (can't remember which RX480 thread it was as there is a few). Temps still hit 87 Celsius in benchmarks though....

Would like to know any successful fan/voltage/power limit settings people have had to get max performance from this card with temps under 85 celsius when not limited by frame rate (vsync or 60 fps limit).

Positive to see AMD trying to get a new driver out too, but personally I'm worried they may have to cripple performance to get the card within spec?

Associate
Is anyone else getting this at boot.?
image.jpg

This happens on all three different displays that I tried when using hdmi and displayport.

Also I'm getting some artifacts when using 144hz over display port.

None of this ever happened with any of my Nvidia cards.

Associate
Already changed it as per last post above, I used all the lower voltage figures from the German website. 1075 was my max voltage, and still runs hot. Clock speed is fine for 1290Mhz, but that's all my 2% gets me.

I didn't buy this from overclockers, but what are the conditions for sending something like a graphics card back? Am I legally allowed to request a return?

Tempted to send back, and put some extra money towards the better cooled Sapphire one that OCUK now have up, or an alternative brand when others come out.

Soldato
I just installed my 480 and it seems to work, not tested any games as I don’t have any installed yet. I will install steam and put a game on to test.

Back
Top Bottom