• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Pascal GTX 1080 Owners Thread

Associate
TangoEchoAlpha what game is this screenshot from ?

SLI 980ti = 42fps
Single GTX 1080 = 142fps

:eek:

No idea what game that was :confused:

The very recent Doom game, it has had no multi GPU support since release and not much indication of being able to use SLI any time soon.

This is the worrying thing with DX12 games because it's up to the dev to bother making it utilise extra cards instead of NVIDIA/AMD. Not much hope of them bothering considering quite a few dev teams don't even release finished games optimisation/bug wise.

Associate
The very recent Doom game, it has had no multi GPU support since release and not much indication of being able to use SLI any time soon.

This is the worrying thing with DX12 games because it's up to the dev to bother making it utilise extra cards instead of NVIDIA/AMD. Not much hope of them bothering considering quite a few dev teams don't even release finished games optimisation/bug wise.

MultiGPU just isn't worth it IMO. Never seen the appeal, purely come a cost to benefit perspective. Also I'd agree, why would a developer waste time and money implementing it for such a small userbase, especially with game budgets getting higher and risks involved. A poor game can literally wipe out a studio now a days.

It will be the future though... Once consoles move in a MultiGPU direction then you'll see much more wide spread adoption, what that means for Nvidia though im not so sure... Since AMD provide the hardware. Although it doesn't look like the next gen of consoles will be MultiGPU, so we're several years away from that.

Associate
Decided to mod my founders card to match my rig and tidy it up further. What do you guys reckon.

ea91686cc0fcd853e2ae3c139c9d877d_zpsmv40y2cl.jpg

e9cc47c4409592c552c0fe76bf07d308_zps1pqvbotd.jpg

Soldato

It is Alien Isolation surely?

Also note the GPU1 core clock. 405Mhz throughout

Soldato

The screenshot is Alien Isolation which is DX11 and not DX12 plus with Alien Isolation you could run that game on a pizza it's that well optimised.

Associate
It is Alien Isolation surely?

Also note the GPU1 core clock. 405Mhz throughout

Yeah right, I used to have 980 ti's in sli and they were rock solid at 144Hz with max settings on that game, although i did notice a similar issue with GTA 5 and a reboot sorted it :confused:

Soldato
Yep it is notorious for bad scaling.

That game doesn't need scaling beyond 1 card really though IMO, At 4K with a GTX 1080 max settings it gets on average around 105 FPS according to the benchmark and at 1080P max settings it gets on average 356 according to the benchmark.

The only reason that game would need scaling is to be used as a benchmark and there's nothing it it for the devs to do that.

Associate
m2KbMmy.jpg

Got my two at last.

First impressions.... Loud and hot. I did my GTA V test (load the game up max the settings and drive around till I hit a spot which maxes out the gpus and stay there for 30 minutes)
and my right card hit 94C (this is in a raven r02 case) I opened up the cooler and cleaned off the thermal paste and added my own. Temps now at 84-84c not great but better.

Ive also had to do my own custom fan profile as the one out of the box is rubbish with the fans never going above 50% so I have a 1-1 profile set now and although it is more audible then I would like I cant hear it over normal gameplay

Soldato
First impressions.... Loud and hot. I did my GTA V test (load the game up max the settings and drive around till I hit a spot which maxes out the gpus and stay there for 30 minutes)
and my right card hit 94C (this is in a raven r02 case) I opened up the cooler and cleaned off the thermal paste and added my own. Temps now at 84-84c not great but better.
The raven r02 case is designed to be used with blower type GPU coolers...

Two GPU's in SLI with AIB type coolers would cook in it as that case only has a single slow speed 120mm exhaust fan

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom