• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Pascal GTX 1070 Owners Thread

Soldato
I've had various tight /poor cases over the last few, years and from what I've seen. The blower type coolers only benefit in a sli situation when the gpu's are really close together. My preference is to avoid any blower type cooler in pretty much near all types of cases (assuming you have airflow in the case that is) .

Soldato
^Agree with that. Outside of SLI, and frankly I'm not convinced even there having run SLI with open cards and decent temperatures, I wouldn't touch a blower-style cooler.

Associate
Ok Windforce GTX 1070 installed and working, boosting to around 1911 under load and staying within a maximum of about 67 degrees which seems not too bad.

Coil whine though may be a bit of an issue, its loud under full load. The fans get up to about 60% with my custom curve and the whine is badly noticeable over that. How is that comparing to other peoples 1070's is that similar or have a got a bad one? I may need to RMA as its really noticeable.

Associate
I didn't have any whine on my EVGA Founders or MSI gaming X, sorry to hear you have some :(

I have read other have had it but most saying its not bad.

Associate
Its the first time I've ever had it to be honest, rather annoying!

You only hear it under heavy load so I'll see what its like with the Rift when I get it later but not sure I can live with it. The majority of people are saying they have very little or none on this card so I may just be unlucky and swapping it will be fine.

Soldato
Ok Windforce GTX 1070 installed and working, boosting to around 1911 under load and staying within a maximum of about 67 degrees which seems not too bad.

Coil whine though may be a bit of an issue, its loud under full load. The fans get up to about 60% with my custom curve and the whine is badly noticeable over that. How is that comparing to other peoples 1070's is that similar or have a got a bad one? I may need to RMA as its really noticeable.

Mines the Windforce 2 fan OC. I can't hear any coil wine at all on heavy load.

Associate
Coil whine is luck of the draw and sometimes also about your PSU - honestly just send the card back (you have 14 days for a full refund).

Wouldn't live with a 400£ card if it had coil whine (only time I had coil whine in all my gpu history was a 980Ti G1).

Associate
Got my Zotac AMP 1070 earlier in the week and have been playing about with it.

I absolutely love it, it's a huge upgrade from my Radeon HD 6950.

Now if only I had enough cash for a VR headset :D

13621900_10153671257495778_1280628894_o.jpg

Soldato
Rather impressed with my ocuk fe card. Bit worried when box turned up looking like it had been dropped from a great height but so far happy happy

Edit: time to save for a vr headset

Soldato
Decided to cancel my preorder for the EVGA SC and have an MSI Gaming X arriving tomorrow. Looking at the spec it seems pretty good, almost over engineered. Hope it lives up to it.

Soldato
Already in love with my palit 1070.

Where do I start?

1 - Build quality of card seems a different league to my evga 970, backplate twice as thick, heatsink much beefier. Material used for covering better quality. The pci-e connector even got a cover on it to protect it in packaging.
2 - Very quiet.
3 - Temps whilst benchmarking only 60C wow.
4 - Clock hits 2027 out of the box but drops to 1987 during benchmarking due to power utilisation.
5 - on benching its almost twice as fast as my 970 (remember my 970 was poor binned).

970 custom bios

heaven extreme fps 73.3 score 1845
valley extreme hd fps 59.4 score 2485

970 with stock bios flashed back on ready for sale

heaven extreme fps 62.8 score 1697
valley extreme hd fps 53.2 score 2285

1070 in stock configuration

heaven extreme fps 122.4 score 3083
valley extreme hd fps 93.6 score 3914

Also once in case the colour scheme is ok, nowhere near as bad as it looked on image.

Last edited:
Associate
What material is the Game Rock's shroud

The blue bit feels to be thin painted steel. Its screwed onto the main white shroud. The white overall part is hardened plastic. Its pretty solid and not as flimsy as some card shrouds I've had.

KRNNikE.jpg

One thing to bare in mind is that there is only about 25% left of the aluminium heatsink under the shroud. 75% of the heatsink width is visible and there is a big cut out area in the middle. So not quite as much more metal as I'd hoped than a standard 2 slot width card [the gamerock is 2.5 width, not 3 as listed on the sales page].

The Hexus review has some good pictures and better colour accuracy.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm glad people are getting to buy and use the so called lower tier makes due to OOS on other brands. I've had several cheaper brands in the past and all have been past or sold on and I've never known any in the last 10 years or more have **** up. I was about to drop £389 on a Palit but that too went OOS but luckily acquired a Gigabyte (even cheaper!)

So far it's been epic, cool and given me the 1440p ultrawide grunt I needed (60htz)

Soldato
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom