• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** AMD BACK IN THE GAME: PRICE DROP EXCLUSIVE TO OcUK!! **

Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 G1 Gaming 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card @ £209.99 inc VAT https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-18e-gi.html

GV-RX480G1 GAMING-4GD, Core Clock: TBAMHz, Boost Clock: TBAMHz, Memory: 4096MB 7000MHz GDDR5, Stream Processors: 2304, Crossfire Ready, VR Ready, FreeSync Ready, 3 Years Warranty.

Only £209.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 G1 Gaming 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card @ £259.99 inc VAT https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-18d-gi.html

GV-RX480G1 GAMING-8GD, Core Clock: TBAMHz, Boost Clock: TBAMHz, Memory: 8192MB 8000MHz GDDR5, Stream Processors: 2304, Crossfire Ready, VR Ready, FreeSync Ready, 3 Years Warranty.

Only £259.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

PowerColor Radeon RX 480 Dual Cool 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card @ £235.99 inc VAT https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powe...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-189-pc.html

Core Clock: TBAMHz, Boost Clock: TBAMHz, Memory: 8192MB TBAMHz GDDR5, Stream Processors: 2304, Crossfire Ready, VR Ready, FreeSync Ready, 3 Years Warranty.

Only £235.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Question guys. if I'm ordering from Ireland can I select the DPD Two Day delivery instead of DHL worldwide express ? And if I can, what the differences are? Thanks. (Sorry for the double post)

This is all disconcerting to read, especially since I bought the Card. On one hand there are slides showing the 4 gb not to be a problem. On the other hand there are user experiences showing it to be a problem.
I was hoping that this card could easily power a 1440 p freesync monitor :confused:

It can run 1440 very well, I only have a 1080p monitor but run everything at 1440 via vsr, All it is is that certain games will require you to drop something such as the texture settings by one to reduce the ram usage, In the example I gave (Rise of the Tomb Raider) the visual difference when reducing textures from very high to high was virtually nil so dropping it one place made no difference other than to remove the stutter and give me a smooth running game with 60-70 fps averages.

The 4gb's of HBM won't be an issue unless you're a complete visuals Nazi who insists on putting every setting in every game to it's highest.
With the current quality of driver support you'll have a great time gaming with it.

Last edited:
OK. Please can someone give me some advice...

I have a pre-order on for the Nitro+ at £249.95. My current expectation is this will deliver a modest bump on the reference models, with the advantage of no power throttling and better cooling.

Now, my confusion is around the relative benefit i'd get from the R9 Nano for £70 more. At 1080 it seems absolutely negligible (maybe 5-10 FPS in most games), but this increases as we go up in resolution.

Is my understanding correct? So would it be fair to say that an R9 Nano (or Fury for that matter) would only be worth it at resolutions higher than 1080?

I have a pre-order on for the Nitro+ at £249.95. My current expectation is this will deliver a modest bump on the reference models, with the advantage of no power throttling and better cooling.

Now, my confusion is around the relative benefit i'd get from the R9 Nano for £70 more. At 1080 it seems absolutely negligible (maybe 5-10 FPS in most games), but this increases as we go up in resolution.

Is my understanding correct? So would it be fair to say that an R9 Nano (or Fury for that matter) would only be worth it at resolutions higher than 1080?

While its true the Fiji cards seem to scale better the higher res you go, they also get a massive boost in DX12 and Vulcan, especially vulcan where its dormant hardware gets to finally flex its muscle.

If you check a Fury @ 1080p in Doom for instance, its an absolute beast of a card when you put it up against pretty much everything else, only really bettered by the Nvidia 1080.

Definitely go for a nano/fury if you can.

While its true the Fiji cards seem to scale better the higher res you go, they also get a massive boost in DX12 and Vulcan, especially vulcan where its dormant hardware gets to finally flex its muscle.

If you check a Fury @ 1080p in Doom for instance, its an absolute beast of a card when you put it up against pretty much everything else, only really bettered by the Nvidia 1080.

See that's what made me even consider them. It feels like they are just getting to stretch their legs now... do we have reviews comparing the performance using latest drivers/games for RX and R9 series?

OK.. then what about Fury vs Nano? I know a Nano with better cooling absolutely trounces a Fury, but that cooling will come at a cost too...

I suppose i'll just have to try out the Nano then
Some furys unlock to full fury xs so would try my luck with a Sapphire Fury tbh over a nano (higher clocks etc out of the box, so outperforms the nano stock vs stock). :)

OK.. then what about Fury vs Nano? I know a Nano with better cooling absolutely trounces a Fury, but that cooling will come at a cost too...

To be honest id go with the Fury, purely for the cost per performance ratio, especially if i was intending to play a lot of DX12 / Vulcan games...

Theres a lot of gambling on that, DX12 less so, as a lot of games are already in the works for it, Vulcan however is still not really being picked up massively just yet.

However if you dont intend on upgrading for say another 3 years, Fury will be a brilliant card, as when those DX12 and Vulcan titles come, you will be sitting pretty and laughing.

As a here and now card, Fury was overpriced massively at launch, the current offer prices though are really really good.

Im actually tempted to trade my 290 in for a Fury.

Why do you think a Nano is faster? From what I've read the Fury just pips it, even with both overclocked the Firestrike results show it ahead plus the Nitro version apparently clocks better than original reference models, although I haven't seen proof of that yet, The question is do you want a cool quiet card or a card that would have to ramp it's single fan up loud to handle an overclock?

That's the point I was making to Dave2150 who claimed he would pick a 1060 all day every day over the Fury nitro because the 1060 has 6GB of vram.

And it won't matter if Nvidia push developers to use huge amounts of ram in games. The settings needed to make running out of Vram a problem for the Fury will be much higher than 1060 will be able to drive anyway.

Come back in two years, the fury will still be the faster card.

Fury's are EOL (end of life), obsolete, Gibbo confirmed that AMD are not making any more of them - for good reason. 4GB is laughable for a high performance GPU, it's already to little for several titles.

If these cards were competitive, AMD would still be manufacturing them. They are not - and the reason is obvious.

Fury's are EOL (end of life), obsolete, Gibbo confirmed that AMD are not making any more of them - for good reason. 4GB is laughable for a high performance GPU, it's already to little for several titles.

If these cards were competitive, AMD would still be manufacturing them. They are not - and the reason is obvious.

Because HBM makes them expensive to produce. I would still take it over ab 8gb 480 because your overall experience is better.

Now have real image of the Devil, wow it is nice!

AXRX-480-8GD5_BOX_CARD1280.jpg

Back
Top Bottom