• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Pascal GTX 1080 Owners Thread

Associate
Would someone be so kind as to provide a TL;DW for the Hybrid review?
How does the OC hold up against a high end air cooled card like the Asus Strix?

Like all 1080's it hits a wall at 2100 mhz(2164 in jays review, similar numbers to the sea hawk reviews I have seen) super cool and quite though so that may be worth it for some people.
It uses the FTW board and that cooler is good enough so it will probably overclock the same on average

Soldato
I am swapping out my 980ti Xtreme Waterforce for the new Waterforce so I will let you know tomorrow evening.

Thanks mate. The G1 is a nice card but is quite loud. Although i have seen videos that the water force pump is loud as well lol so not sure if it's worth the hassle.

Soldato
I can see the chip but need more info about the board, how it got to such small board. The specs, costs, vbios modded to allow more than 1.093v etc

It's in a laptop using a pair of cards under a huge combined vapor chamber:

Skype_Photo_20160817_16_47_20_20160818_040405.jpg

Fully enabled chips with GDDR5X so it's just about cooling.

Vbios will need to be worked on but will likely be more unlocked more than any desktop card when prema is finished with it.

Cost will be little bit less than the new titan each.

Note the mobile cards have been on a high bandwidth SLI bus for some time.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's in a laptop using a pair of cards under a huge combined vapor chamber:

Skype_Photo_20160817_16_47_20_20160818_040405.jpg

Fully enabled chips with GDDR5X so it's just about cooling.

Vbios will need to be worked on but will likely be more unlocked more than any desktop card when prema is finished with it.

Cost will be little bit less than the new titan each.

Note the mobile cards have been on a high bandwidth SLI bus for some time.

Aha, cheers. :)
That explains a lot, because with the technical datasheet posted, I thought someone went stripped the 1080s from normal cards and put them in small factor ones with mods etc :D

Given the size of the card, maybe the Nano EK waterblock will fit? Check some pics from it from EK. The MSI Armor EK waterblock is bit bigger and I do not believe the holes are matching. (going to fit it tonight to my GTX1080).

Worst case, if you are in North Lincolnshire, Yorkshire or surrounding area, can see if I am free over the wekeend to pop around with the Nano block to test it if you wish.

Last edited:
Soldato
I tend to keep my laptop mods mobile but thanks for the offer :)

I'll be around at the insomnia gaming festival in Coventry (where I live).

Soldato
Took me more time than anticipated. 2 hours almost of cleaning, carefully removing stuff, attaching new, testing for connections between cooler-pad and VRMs mainly, having one VRM not wanting to hold its pad (it had its pad dropped off from the Armor heatsink!!!!!!) , and final screwing.........

So we get an MSI GTX1080 Armor OC

1080_zps8mtscain.png

We remove the cooler

20160818_200106_zpsjhzi4hn1.jpg

hmm this one still has underwear on.....

20160818_200059_zpsgarpk8h3.jpg

ok the shroud removed, time for cleaning

20160818_200626_zpsh88bvlqr.jpg

and at last nice and clean.....

clean_zpsdkvzj24n.png

new padding.....
(dont be afraid I put paste on the GPU just didn't took a pic)
20160818_203448_zpskxoefy3u.jpg

Block fitted (2nd fitting after testing for connections etc)
1080WC_zps8mtmgiht.png

and backplate

20160818_214119_zpsprvplwwi.jpg

Hmmm, left over screws........did I miss to screw something????? :p

screws_zpswmfz9yzy.png

I will post results tomorrow. Atm off to bed.

Soldato
Good stuff Panos! Looking forward to your results, still waiting on the Internet to get activated at the new house so struggling to browse here with Edge on my mobile.

Had little go at overclocking it earlier and tested using GTAV, same results as you really, no voltage and a quick OC, power 121% cards boasts to 1950 or there about stock, got it to 2070 no issues, although I find it annoying that even if my power limit isn't hit, or temp target, my card seems to drop 10-15mhz when it gets to 60c.

Hoping a water block will sort it, but overall extremely impressed.

Soldato
(Couldn't go to sleep without testing it even if briefly :o )
Thank you, indeed somehow the card when hits 60C starts was throttling.

At least must say was.......
Did a run on Spy, +100% voltage, +121% PL, 85C TL, +186 Core +0 Mem
Got a max of spike 2152, but a constant 2126 during the whole bench. (which what matters). Max temp 44C. :D
No crashes, no artifacts, no weird whizzing electric sounds, so it looks like everything is properly fitted.

At stock settings, the card now gets to 1956 constant, previously it was 1911 with spikes at 1926.

I will see how much I can get out of it on Sunday mainly :)
(Saturday going to an Infinity tournament......Panoceania 4TW).

However I need to keep an eye on the cooling, because the EK block for the Armor is a short one, leaving outside some electronics that had thermal pads on the Armor shroud, and the cooler. And since the backplate was warm on that area (back end where the power connectors are), attached an Apache blowing air in the area.
Need to find a way to properly attach it there though. (not that bothers me tbh)

Soldato
There will be a lot of people looking forward to seeing how the Classified performs.:)

the news is, it don't perform. at least not at the level it needs to. its a lovely piece of kit, well made and its very quiet. the design team at evga can be rightly proud of what they have built. I am a big fan of the gigabyte cards but the classified is really a cut above. take a bow lads.

the waterforce also arrived today and its virtually identical in build to the 980ti version. which means it's nice but a bit utilitarian. the new led on the top is a nice touch.

both the 1080 classy and the xtreme waterforce which run 10+2 PCB's are both locked at 1.09v actual like a reference card. both will hit the 2.1ghz wall just like a reference card.

waterforce has a 150% power-limit, classy is just over 120%. pretty pointless without voltage increases though.

The classy hovers around 75c and the waterforce sub-50c. I stick a fan on the classy and hit 100% fan the card drops to 45c under load. again very impressive from evga.

I am going to sleep on it but at the moment I will be returning them both. No indication from Gigabyte or EVGA on ETA of any tools to work around the 1.09v limit. Not really good enough for £800+ cards. these are benchers cards, probably better off hard modding a FE edition tbh.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
the news is, it don't perform. at least not at the level it needs to. its a lovely piece of kit, well made and its very quiet. the design team at evga can be rightly proud of what they have built. I am a big fan of the gigabyte cards but the classified is really a cut above. take a bow lads.

the waterforce also arrived today and its virtually identical in build to the 980ti version. which means it's nice but a bit utilitarian. the new led on the top is a nice touch.

both the 1080 classy and the xtreme waterforce which run 10+2 PCB's are both locked at 1.09v actual like a reference card. both will hit the 2.1ghz wall just like a reference card.

waterforce has a 150% power-limit, classy is just over 120%. pretty pointless without voltage increases though.

The classy hovers around 75c and the waterforce sub-50c. I stick a fan on the classy and hit 100% fan the card drops to 45c under load. again very impressive from evga.

I am going to sleep on it but at the moment I will be returning them both. No indication from Gigabyte or EVGA on ETA of any tools to work around the 1.09v limit. Not really good enough for £800+ cards. these are benchers cards, probably better off hard modding a FE edition tbh.

Very sad.

At the above prices it is probably better to save a bit more and get the Pascal Titan. £800+ for a 1080 v £1100 for a Pascal Titan, there really is not a lot in it if we are talking performance v price.

Or as you point out it would probably be better going with the FE 1080.

Based on the above I would be very surprised if we see a Kingpin 1080 as the Pascal Titan will totally thrash it for about the same price.:(

Associate
Has anyone seen the hybrid cooler in stock on the EVGA website (European)? Decided to go a different direction earlier when fitting my new FE and have taken all the water cooling kit out of my case, despite already having the EK block on hand. Will make it easier to keep on top of new gpu releases in future. I see it's available on the US site at present.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
(Couldn't go to sleep without testing it even if briefly :o )
Thank you, indeed somehow the card when hits 60C starts was throttling.

At least must say was.......
Did a run on Spy, +100% voltage, +121% PL, 85C TL, +186 Core +0 Mem
Got a max of spike 2152, but a constant 2126 during the whole bench. (which what matters). Max temp 44C. :D
No crashes, no artifacts, no weird whizzing electric sounds, so it looks like everything is properly fitted.

At stock settings, the card now gets to 1956 constant, previously it was 1911 with spikes at 1926.

I will see how much I can get out of it on Sunday mainly :)
(Saturday going to an Infinity tournament......Panoceania 4TW).

However I need to keep an eye on the cooling, because the EK block for the Armor is a short one, leaving outside some electronics that had thermal pads on the Armor shroud, and the cooler. And since the backplate was warm on that area (back end where the power connectors are), attached an Apache blowing air in the area.
Need to find a way to properly attach it there though. (not that bothers me tbh)

WOW. I have to say I am surprised seeing you rocking a 1080 Panos. I always thought of you as more of and AMD guy. Thought you would have waited for Vega..

Last I saw you was very happy with your Nana which as far I can remember you have had for 12 months or less. What happened?

If Vega lives to my expectations, it will be close to a Titan P and if not priced ridiculously, I will get one :)

Back
Top Bottom