DON'T BUY MSI THEY MIS-SOLD TOP SPEC GT SERIES LAPTOPS with MXM Graphics

Associate
OP
If anyone is on reddit feel free to upvote this topic, the more attention this gets the more likely MSI present a comparable solution.

If you go forwards with the *upgrade* you get a request from MSI, "By signing this document, we kindly ask you to abstain from commenting the trade-in program on forums and social media, confident that you can will understand our position and appreciate our efforts."

Are MSI really doing this. Do they have any credibility?

Soldato
If you go forwards with the *upgrade* you get a request from MSI, "By signing this document, we kindly ask you to abstain from commenting the trade-in program on forums and social media, confident that you can will understand our position and appreciate our efforts."

Are MSI really doing this. Do they have any credibility?

LMAO, is that an underhanded back door gag order in a customer service T&C?
Well played MSI, well played. :confused:

Oh and thanks for the thread MiSJAH, you've helped me to at least exclude MSI from my impending gaming laptop purchase. I'm not really into the upgrade thing on my laptops but companies that treat their customers with such contempt don't deserve to be in business and won't be getting my cash.

Associate
Yeah, I was looking at Msi laptops but after reading this I think I will go with Gigabyte again. Gigabyte support was great when I had my p35x, they replaced an 18 month old battery free of charge even though the battery only has a year warranty. Only 100 quid but it was a nice touch.

Associate
OP
LMAO, is that an underhanded back door gag order in a customer service T&C?
Well played MSI, well played. :confused:

Oh and thanks for the thread MiSJAH, you've helped me to at least exclude MSI from my impending gaming laptop purchase. I'm not really into the upgrade thing on my laptops but companies that treat their customers with such contempt don't deserve to be in business and won't be getting my cash.

Considering that Gigabyte, Aorus, EVGA, and clevo have reasonably priced alternatives I'm shocked at MSI's behaviour. Even the new Alienwares are looking good at the price.

Yeah, I was looking at Msi laptops but after reading this I think I will go with Gigabyte again. Gigabyte support was great when I had my p35x, they replaced an 18 month old battery free of charge even though the battery only has a year warranty. Only 100 quid but it was a nice touch.

Glad you purchased from a company that values its customers.

Soldato
MSI laptops aren't everyman and their dog laptops like Dell and Lenovo, these are niche machines targeted at a specific group; a group that for the most part, makes a more informed decision before purchase, so I can see (and rightly so) this affecting them. I would never purchase an msi product now. At the very least they could admit the mistake and release an apology, but no.

Associate
OP
At the very least they could admit the mistake and release an apology, but no.

Yes, this info on their website, with an apology would help, with an offer that is appropriate in tech and cost to what an MXM upgrade woukld have cost.

(Not offering a MXM1060 machine for the cost of an MXM1080 upgrade, yeah they thought that was a reasonable offer).

Soldato
Yes, this info on their website, with an apology would help, with an offer that is appropriate in tech and cost to what an MXM upgrade woukld have cost.

(Not offering a MXM1060 machine for the cost of an MXM1080 upgrade, yeah they thought that was a reasonable offer).

As per my previous post I do agree with everything, however, surely they should only be offering you a 1070 as that's the current gen equivalent of a 980m; the 1080 is equivalent to the full fat 980 mobile part.

Associate
OP
As per my previous post I do agree with everything, however, surely they should only be offering you a 1070 as that's the current gen equivalent of a 980m; the 1080 is equivalent to the full fat 980 mobile part.

I'm don't get what Nvidia's equivalent has to do with the scheme. If MSI had done what the advertised, we would have chosen the upgrade we wanted, 1060, 1070, 1080.

Natalie MSI UK Rep said:
The offers being made are not an insult, there is only yourself and one other who is unhaply with the tradeup program. (The one who believes the mxm upgrade is possible and all of this is just us causing unneccessary headaches for ourselves)

If anyone would like to drop Natalie an email and let her know there are more than 2 people that think this is a insulting offer her contact details are:

**Sensitive Text Removed**

I'm sure if you are not from the UK, she would be happy to forward your comments to the appropriate part of MSI worldwide.

I'm sure there are many more of us that are unhaply.

OcUK Staff
There is no reason for you to be sharing data of these member of staff on a public forum. I personally think that is very rude. Especially that they are doing their best to help you.

Neil from MSI has emailed you this morning, and is happy to chat to you on the phone in order to resolve this.

In the mean time, I've edited your posts to remove the unnecessary information.

I appreciate that you have had an issue and MSI may have done something wrong in this occasion, but they are clearly not ignoring you, and they are doing their best to help you.

Soldato
I'm don't get what Nvidia's equivalent has to do with the scheme. If MSI had done what the advertised, we would have chosen the upgrade we wanted, 1060, 1070, 1080.

A 1080 is a completely different power envelope and is unlikely to be compatible with any laptop running a less equivalent in terms of power and heat.

Associate
OP
There is no reason for you to be sharing data of these member of staff on a public forum. I personally think that is very rude. Especially that they are doing their best to help you.

The info was provided by said member of staff, after advising that they were dealing with matter in the UK.

In the mean time, I've edited your posts to remove the unnecessary information.

As MSI have no mention of this matter of their website, the information may be tricky to come across for OcUK/MSI customers whom may consider it necessary. What do you suggest?

I appreciate that you have had an issue and MSI may have done something wrong in this occasion, but they are clearly not ignoring you, and they are doing their best to help you.

I never stated they were ignoring me. MSI are not doing their best to help, only to protect their bottom line.

5UB, if I have broken a forum rule, please let me know.

OcUK Staff
The info was provided by said member of staff, after advising that they were dealing with matter in the UK.

As MSI have no mention of this matter of their website, the information may be tricky to come across for OcUK/MSI customers whom may consider it necessary. What do you suggest?

I never stated they were ignoring me. MSI are not doing their best to help, only to protect their bottom line.

5UB, if I have broken a forum rule, please let me know.

I've left the support email readable in this thread so users can email for support there.

I felt providing full names, telephone numbers, Skype alias', and email addresses were a bit too far to be shared on a public forum.

You are not breaking the rules, just venting for support, which I agree you need and I hope MSI help you with the matter.

Associate
OP
I've left the support email readable in this thread so users can email for support there.

I felt providing full names, telephone numbers, Skype alias', and email addresses were a bit too far to be shared on a public forum.

You are not breaking the rules, just venting for support, which I agree you need and I hope MSI help you with the matter.

OK, thanks man.

Say Hello to Vincent from MSI. Check 3m50s onwards.

Associate
OP
Offers made to MSI customers in the USA:

Please see the details of the trade in program as outlined below:

Your Laptop Upgraded Equivalent Unit Estimated Upgrade Cost
GT72 w/970M GT72VR Dominator w/GTX 1060 $600
GT72 w/980M GT72VR Dominator Pro w/GTX 1070 $700
GT72 w/980 GT73VR Titan Pro w/GTX 1080 $1000
GT80 w/980 GT73VR Titan Pro w/GTX 1080 $1000
GT80 w/970M SLI GT83VR Titan Pro w/GTX 1070 SLI $1800
GT80 w/980M SLI GT83VR Titan Pro w/GTX 1070 SLI $1400
GT80 w/980 SLI GT83VR Titan Pro w/GTX 1080 SLI $2000

*Each upgrade cost is the same as if you were to only upgrade the GPU.

I'm ****ed that the GT72 w/980m to GT73 w/1080 cost is $1,000 in the USA yet in the UK is $1735.29!! (£820 vs £1,424!!)

I'm also intrigued by a conversation I had yesterday (14/10/2016) with Channel Sales Manager and Marketing Manager, where they stated that they will bring an MXM 1070 board to the existing GT72 owners as an upgrade.

MSI need to fix this still.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not sure how that applies to the -G model.

The G model purely means G-sync.

I would like to see proof of this or at least a thread where someone has made the change. I am really disappointed, I purchased this chassis on the basis that it should have been upgradable. Poor move Nvidia.

Back
Top Bottom