Thandie Newton Dying A Slow Death On Live Earth

Soldato
Anyone just see that ? Poor woman, 2 billion people and the talk following her wasnt ready, so she stood there with nothing to say :eek: rather her than me, she coped sort of well I guess ! lol :)

Man of Honour
What a load of complete rubbish. Ignoring the fact that actually we've no hard evidence climate change is man made anyway, what good is a concert going to do if it is?

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
What a load of complete rubbish. Ignoring the fact that actually we've no hard evidence climate change is man made anyway, what good is a concert going to do if it is?

You deny the greenhouse effect is real?

CO2 levels are at their highest now than ever before in history. And this compared to samples taken from ice cores in the antarctic dating back hundreds of thousands of years. And the reason for CO2, cars and industry. I'd say that's a man made problem.

Go watch 'An Inconvenient Truth' which looks at it in greater detail.

Soldato
I could merely say go and watch "The Great Warming Swindle"

Propaganda videos, and that's just what all of them are, are for those who don't understand the subject enough them selves to argue it.

Man of Honour
norm said:
You deny the greenhouse effect is real?

CO2 levels are at their highest now than ever before in history. And this compared to samples taken from ice cores in the antarctic dating back hundreds of thousands of years. And the reason for CO2, cars and industry. I'd say that's a man made problem.

C02 may be simply an effect rather than a cause. Plus, cars do not have the effect people believe them to - if everyone in this country stopped driving tommorrow, the change in world carbon emissions would not even register.

It's an amusing figure, but did you know that cows produce far more C02 in this country than our transport system?

Soldato
Mr_White said:
Propaganda videos, and that's just what all of them are, are for those who don't understand the subject enough them selves to argue it.

I know for a fact you haven't watched 'An Inconvenient Truth' from that very statement. So stop making pointless generalisations.

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox said:

O..... K......

I'll just keep on believing the masses upon masses of real scientists doing real research with real doctorates and scientific positions.

You keep on believing... well... whatever it is you're believing.

Soldato
norm said:
I know for a fact you haven't watch 'An Inconvenient Truth' from that very statement. So stop making pointless generalisations.

I have actually, what pointless generalisations exactly?

My comment still stands, anyone who doesn't understand the subject will simply say "ZOMG WATCH THE VIDEO, AM TRUE1!!"

All of these videos are just propaganda, from both sides, especially 'An Inconvenient Truth'

You're foolish if you think it's actually a realistic and informative video, do you believe everything a video tells you?

Is what where you get your education from, watching propaganda videos?

Soldato
Mr_White said:
You're foolish if you think it's actually a realistic and informative video.

Give one example where it wasn't realistic or informative. The very fact you don't shows you are basing your argument on a generalisation.

Permabanned
Personally, I'd like to know what caused the build up of gases in the atmosphere which led to the last ice age. It sure as hell wasn't man-made!

Soldato
norm said:
Give one example where it wasn't realistic or informative. The very fact you don't shows you are basing your argument on a generalisation.

Look, if you're really interested on learning the real scientific fact on the subject, put your silly videos away and go and read a book, I'm not going to waste my time pointing out the flaws of the video, if you really want to learn more, I suggest you read these

Article Title: Ecological responses to recent climate change
Authors: Walther, GR, Post, E, Convey, P, Menzel, A, Parmesan, C, Beebee, TJC, Fromentin, JM, Hoegh-guldberg, O, Bairlein, F
Journal: NATURE
Volume: 416
Page: 389-395
Year: 2002
Addresses:
· Univ Hannover, Inst Geobot, Hannover, Germany
· Penn State Univ, Dept Biol, Mueller Lab 208, University Pk, PA, USA
· British Antarctic Survey, NERC, Cambridge, England
· Tech Univ Munich, Dept Ecol, Freising Weihenstephan, Germany
· Univ Texas, Patterson Labs 141, Austin, TX, USA
· Univ Sussex, Sch Biol Sci, Brighton, England
· IFREMER, Ctr Halieut Mediterraneen & Trop, Sete, France
· Univ Queensland, Ctr Marine Studies, St Lucia, Australia
· Inst Vogelforsch Vogelwarte Helgoland, Wilhelmshaven, Germany

***Article 2
Total Cites: 328
Article Title: Acceleration of global warming due to carbon-cycle feedbacks in a coupled climate model
Authors: Cox, PM, Betts, RA, Jones, CD, Spall, SA, Totterdell, IJ
Volume: 408
Page: 184-187
Year: 2000
Addresses:
· Meteorol Off, Hadley Ctr, Bracknell, England
· Southampton Oceanog Ctr, Southampton, England

***Article 3
Total Cites: 280
Article Title: Increased activity of northern vegetation inferred from atmospheric CO2 measurements
Authors: Keeling, CD, Chin, JFS, Whorf, TP
Volume: 382
Page: 146-149
Year: 1996
Addresses:
· NOAA, CMDL, MAUNA LOA OBSERV, HILO, HI, USA
· UNIV CALIF SAN DIEGO, SCRIPPS INST OCEANOG, LA JOLLA, CA, USA

***Article 4
Total Cites: 268
Article Title: Causes of climate change over the past 1000 years
Authors: Crowley, TJ
Journal: SCIENCE
Volume: 289
Page: 270-277
Addresses:
· Texas A&M Univ, Dept Oceanog, College Stn, TX, USA

***Article 5
Total Cites: 250
Article Title: Fingerprints of global warming on wild animals and plants
Authors: Root, TL, Price, JT, Hall, KR, Schneider, SH, Rosenzweig, C, Pounds, JA
Volume: 421
Page: 57-60
Year: 2003
Addresses:
· Stanford Univ, Inst Int Studies, Ctr Environm Sci & Policy, Stanford, CA, USA
· Amer Bird Conservancy, Boulder, CO, USA
· Michigan State Univ, Dept Fisheries & Wildlife, E Lansing, MI, USA
· Stanford Univ, Dept Biol Sci, Stanford, CA, USA
· NASA, Goddard Inst Space Studies, New York, NY, USA
· Monteverde Cloud Forest Preserve & Trop Sci Ctr, Golden Toad Lab Conservat, Santa Elena, Costa Rica

***Article 6
Total Cites: 222
Article Title: Boreal forest plants take up organic nitrogen
Authors: Nasholm, T, Ekblad, A, Nordin, A, Giesler, R, Hogberg, M, Hogberg, P
Volume: 392
Page: 914-916
Year: 1998
Addresses:
· Swedish Univ Agr Sci, Dept Forest Genet & Plant Physiol, Umea, Sweden
· Swedish Univ Agr Sci, Dept Forest Ecol, Sect Soil Sci, Umea, Sweden

***Article 7
Total Cites: 205
Article Title: Biological consequences of global warming: is the signal already apparent?
Authors: Hughes, L
Journal: TRENDS ECOL EVOL
Volume: 15
Page: 56-61
Addresses:
· Macquarie Univ, Dept Biol Sci, N Ryde, Australia
· Macquarie Univ, Key Ctr Biodivers & Bioresources, N Ryde, Australia

I added the last one because TREE (Trends in Ecology and Evolution) is a great journal as well, you should be able to find these journals at almost any uni institution.

This is a good one as well:

Article Title: External control of 20th century temperature by natural and anthropogenic forcings
Authors: Stott, PA, Tett, SFB, Jones, GS, Allen, MR, Mitchell, JFB, Jenkins, GJ
Journal: SCIENCE
Volume: 290
Page: 2133-2137
Addresses:
· Hadley Ctr Climate Predict & Res, Met Off, Bracknell, England
· Rutherford Appleton Lab, Space Sci & Technol Dept, Didcot, England
· Univ Oxford, Dept Phys, Oxford, England

Moses99p said:
such a boon, when "An Inconvenient Truth" was released how many people slated it? Oh yeah, no one. Instead they criticised Al Gore because they couldn't attack the facts.

When The Great Global Warming Swindle was released how many people slated it? Oh yeah, everyone. Even people in the film said it was a complete misrepresentation of the truth.

You all seem to be getting confused, I'm merely slating the video for mis-representing the true scientific fact.

Soldato
Mr_White said:
Look, if you're really interested on learning the real scientific fact on the subject, put your silly videos away and go and read a book, I'm not going to waste my time pointing out the flaws of the video

All I asked for was one example. Either you couldn't provide one or didn't watch the film afterall. Which is it?

Associate
Azagoth said:
Personally, I'd like to know what caused the build up of gases in the atmosphere which led to the last ice age. It sure as hell wasn't man-made!

No one is arguing the fact that the worlds climate is in a constant cycle. Its the SPEED of which the climate is changing that scientists are warning us about.

Soldato
Moses99p said:
Well give some examples where he "mis-representing the true scientific fact."

And is that list meant to be in any way impressive? WOW, i did one search on google and found the same list!! you are 1337 mate.

http://www.esi-topics.com/gwarm2006/papers/map.html

That's because they're widely regarded as the best most rigorous of scientific journals, the ones that dont let anything but the BEST science be published, good to know you can use google though.

But if you'd rather just educate yourself with propaganda orientated videos rather than hard science, be my guest.

I'm glad you think I'm a 1337 mate :)

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
It's an amusing figure, but did you know that cows produce far more C02 in this country than our transport system?
Yup, here's some more:
Global Contributors of C02 Emissions:
Power Generation: 24%
Transport (including air, rail, car, ships) 14%
Industry: 14%
Heating: 8%
'Rotting waste': 3%

Cars account for just 11% of the UK's C02 output.

If every single SUV owner changed their car for a Toyota Prius Hybrid, the UK's total C02 emissions would decrease by just 0.3%

UK motorists contribute just 0.2% of world carbon emissions

Since 1990, UK Carbon emissions have gone up by just under 6%. Chinese Carbon emissions have gone up by just under 90%.

China plans to build nearly 600 coal fired power stations in the next 8 years. 18 of these power stations will emit, per year, the equivilent C02 of the ENTIRE UK motoring population.

If every single driver in the UK changed their car for a V8 powered Range Rover, world carbon emissions would increase by just 0.2%.

All facts from Januarys EVO Magazine. And these aren't made up by EVO, they're "According to the 'Stern Review on The Economics of Climate Change' from the Government Economics Service".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom