Asus Vintage AH1

It doesn't at the moment and all the reports I have read indicate that even running fast processors it's dog slow. I bought one (even after reading the bad reviews) and took it back as I couldn't get sensible performance out of it.

Someone else on this forum reported a very poor Super Pi time, and I didn't see any responses helping him get any improvement.

I think they're probably great for normal people but possibly not for performance enthusiasts.

Aye, that fits with my research as well. Decided to go a different route instead :) Thanks for confirming. Agreed would be fine in the sort of environment say a Dell desktop would be suited to.

I would be that person that is having the trouble.
Latest, It is trying to right to an invaild page file location Which locks the machine.
Just spotted new bios so i will try it later, But according to readme it has not tacled preformance, Well offically
The asus forum is a joke

Basically If it doesn't improve its going back

Dec

I thought that the main problem was that the RAID driver was using extra clock cycles that the onboard graphics wanted and that as a result the whole machine ran slowly. No?

It's such a shame because otherwise it was a beautifully put together piece of kit.

I have one under test at the moment and it is significantly better, but it's still not nearly good enough. With the processor that's in it it should be doing 40 second superPi times, but it's doing 52 seconds - but it was doing 90 seconds!

To give a comparative example - I have an ASUS PH-1 sat next to it with a 2.8GHz Celeron D in it vs. the AH-1 with an A64 3500+. Both have 2 x 512Mb Corsair Value Ram and 80Gb SATA Maxtors in. And the Celeron is doing 48s for 1M superPi vs. 52s for the 3500+. Now that doesn't seem right to me.

If you can live with the poor performance, then it's very tidy, well built and silent.

Anyone seen any reviews.. just cannot seem to find any?

Does it come with custom HS&F or get your own (in which case how much space)?
ISTR it is a standard mATX board in one of the Vintage models. Is it in all models?
Does it include a 92mm fan temp controlled as in the T2 Terminator models?

The Asus site says 10/100 LAN but offers a driver download for a Gigabit controller... which is it?

Anything else we should know?

I just ordered 1 for friend and would also like to know if it comes with HS&F? , just incase i ordered HS&F Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro just incase, but will it fit?

Methanoid said:
Anyone seen any reviews.. just cannot seem to find any?

Does it come with custom HS&F or get your own (in which case how much space)?

No, no HS&F Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro fits fine, although I knocked the little rubber bits off on mine and it was a complete bugger getting them hooked back up again.

Methanoid said:
ISTR it is a standard mATX board in one of the Vintage models. Is it in all models?
Yes, AE-1, PE-1, AH-1 and PH-1 are all micro-ATX.
Methanoid said:
Does it include a 92mm fan temp controlled as in the T2 Terminator models?

The fan at the back is 80mm and it runs flat out all the time. There is space for a second 80mm fan at the front.

Methanoid said:
The Asus site says 10/100 LAN but offers a driver download for a Gigabit controller... which is it?

Gigabit LAN is standard.

It is standard PSU size.
I just built 1 yesterday.

ah16wg.jpg

ah20ju.jpg

Very nice system for only £100. And it works with X2 3800+, 3000+ Venice, Winchester etc.
The system is not very noisy.

Shuttle should no longer rip people off.

nolimit said:
It is standard PSU size.
I just built 1 yesterday.

I've just tried to get a standard PSU in there and it does fit lengthwise, but not easily. The one supplied is slightly smaller than standard ATX. I still reckon it's closer to MicroATX than full ATX. The length isn't the problem, its the height available between the little ledge and I/O shield housing at the back and the curved top of the case - an Akasa Paxpower doesn't fit but a Macron ATX does.

Have you definitely tried it with a dual core? The last time I checked they weren't supported, so is there a new BIOS version in yours?

Finally, can you do a 1M SuperPI time please?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom