Asus Vintage AH1

I built the system for friend and yes i did put x2 3800+ it worked perfectly. I can't test SuperPi cause I dont have the system anymore.

The PSU looked like normal ATX, i didnt try another PSU.

Sorry for the delay in getting back.

The raid driver helped games, super pi is 50secs

I didn't find any improvements with new bios
The invalid page has stopped ????

Originally Posted by Methanoid
Does it include a 92mm fan temp controlled as in the T2 Terminator models?

Mine has a 120mmfan and runs at about 1400rpm all the time

I have an Zalman 7700-AlCu
which runs at about 800rpm

I not gone on the preformance preformance but its so quiet

Edit. Getting rid of the yellow :)

Last edited:
I wasnt gonna buy the AH1 but buy the identical Asus case and a DECENT 6150 Mobo. But the Asus case was outta stock so I got a Compucase one which was actually every bit as good if not better (also had a side blowhole).

Small warning and still impressed feeling about it.

Tried out building one with following spec:
2X Kingston DDR 1024MB PC-3200
AMD X2 3800
Nvidia 7800GT
200GB SATA Hitachi
60GB ATA100 (Boot/operative system drive)

Was thinking it should make a good secondary machine for me and it really does.
I usually only use my laptops and im still more then happy and worshipping my Dell XPS laptop.
So after I built it I was shocked and impressed that everything worked perfect, installation of windows just went without any problem.
It felt fast and easy to install all drivers and I was happy.
Then tested some 3Dmark 2005 continues to see if PSU was too small for this configuration (I expected it to be) and the machine was stable and no problem even after 1hour. (Shocked its a small obviously cheap PSU but Cheers Asus it works nice)

Now to the problem, after 2 hours of playing or working with the computer it gets a micropause after each 2sec. works 2sec, 0,5sec freeze, works 2sec etc etc.
I have tried windows patch http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896256 I also tried the /Usepmtimer in Boot.ini.
Updated AMD drivers for processor but still same problem.
Now I dont have another 939 motherboard right now and im not sure it is this barebone or a general problem.
It lags after 2hours in everything, videos, games and music.
Untill that it runs perfect.

//Iglo

You've got the RAID Driver problem!

use regedit.exe, find HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run and delete the key referring to ULiRaid.exe.

I know, I know - you probably don't have a RAID array, but the system still installs this and it has a memory leak that causes the problem you describe.

I think the newest set of drivers addresses this, and several other issues.

WJA96 said:
Did a driver update resolve your problem?

Driver update didnt but the Regedit update turning raid software off worked perfect, thanks :)
Now im still trying to get a hang of what is causing the slow speed.
44sec SuperPi 1M with a Amd X2 3800 is very slow. BUT!!! it does 2 simultanious calculations of SuperPi 1M in same time ;) So dual core is working with task balancing at least. (AMD X2 is now supported on Asus website btw for this machine)

As mentioned its a fine very well put together kit from Asus, feels quality and was easy to assemble, so I hope the speed issue is either Bios related or driver related. (But we have to keep in mind that its dirty cheap and maybe we have to live with it like this)

3Dmark 2005 is top around 6800 not overclocked.
Values differ more each run then on other machines I have tested making it look at least not like hardware problem but more related to software or bios.

/Iglo
Asus Vintage AH-1 Amd X2 3800, 2GB DDR400, Geforce 7800GT

Deco32 said:
Any of you lads try overclocking the AH-1?

Yes i have tried to but all u can change is the fsb and there are no divider option and it doesn't really help it much. I've upgraded the motherboard to a biostar tforce6100 and it has served me well :D

I've also squeezed in a thermalright SI-120 on my 3000 venice keeps things all icy cold. super pi is at 38s

Hi guys, this is my first post. :p

I'm thinking about purchasing this setup and throwing in an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 2.2 GHz, as well as a GeForce 6800GS. Does anybody that has had personal experience with this rig think that it can handle these components? This looks like a beautifully put together barebones kit by ASUS and I would really like to use it. The ASUS website says that the Vintage-AH1 can support Athlon 64 / 64 FX / Sempron CPUs up to 3700, however I see in this forum that one of you got an X2 3800 installed without any problems :)

I thought I would have to upgrade the power supply, but now I'm not so sure.
Assuming that the PSU is 75% efficient, then actual wattage delivered would be 225W. The X2 4200+ draws 89W at max load, and I think that the 6800GS draws about 75W at max load. That leaves me with 61W to power the rest of the system (mobo, Floppy, HDD and two DVD drives). Maybe I should upgrade the PSU to be on the safe side here. Any thoughts?

I saw that you guys feel that 50 secs+ for SuperPi 1M on this machine is poor. Well I ran SuperPi 1M on my work computer (3.2 GHz Intel Xeon) and I got 51 seconds. What exactly would you guys consider a good score then? I would say that a 3.2 GHz Xeon is well above the average performer, and still got a "poor" score. I was just curious as to what is an acceptable score. ;)

Cheers,
Justin

I wouldn't bother to be honest. You're paying a small premium for the parts being pre-assembled, at least some of which you don't want.

Buy better separate components and build it up yourself. AH-1/PH-1 are not the quickest machines on the planet and they offer almost no overclocking options. They are aimed at small stores selling pre-builts to people on a budget.

Also - take care about the fitment of the PSU if you decide to upgrade - it's not a full-size ATX space, it's mid-way between ATX and Micro-ATX and as the case is officially Micro-ATX ASUS can get away with it.

I definitely agree about the build-quality though.

Just to clear things up, if I do decide to go this route, do we know for sure that it supports the dual core Athlon 64 X2? The only place I see it mentioned is in this forum where Iglo got it to work with an X2. The reason I ask is because I don't see it listed on the Asus website. AMD says virtually all socket 939 systems can support the X2 with a simple BIOS upgrade. The only problem is... how in the world could I flash the BIOS if it doesn't support the CPU I'm using?? :confused: It's the chicken and the egg problem, you can't flash the BIOS on a system that doesn't support the CPU you're using since you'd never be able to get into BIOS in the first place. :rolleyes:

So not to second guess Iglo, but AFAIK he is the only one who's reported using an X2 in this system. My guts tell me that this can handle an X2, but I would have at least liked to see the Asus website listing it as supported. :( Any thoughts?

Randall said:
J It's the chicken and the egg problem, you can't flash the BIOS on a system that doesn't support the CPU you're using since you'd never be able to get into BIOS in the first place. :rolleyes:

Its likely to still boot up to the bios even if it doesn't recognise the cpu

Biffa said:
Its likely to still boot up to the bios even if it doesn't recognise the cpu
Really? I guess that is good to know. Thanks Biffa. I plan on ordering this system and trying it with the Athlon X2 4200. Max power at full load is 89 Watts for this CPU. Not bad for the kind of computing power you're getting. Has anybody besides Nolimit and Iglo try this system with an X2 in it? Does it require a BIOS flash at all or does it come already supported at this point? I guess I will find out when I order it.

Does anybody know if the PSU is 20-pin or 24-pin connector for the mobo? The mobo is micro-ATX I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
ASUS AH1 Spec

Can anybody advise the Mobo in the AH1,
Final advise on Duel processors; will it run them?

Also what is on board Graphics (is it Radeon 9600, SiS, x200 all see quoted in various places). Is this ok for current games.

Any advice on Venice or Winchester.

If using a 3000/3200 cpu is it worth spending out on special memory

Thanks for help newbie hoping to build super (by my standards) new system

It runs dual core X2 processors, and quite well. I just built my system the other day. Here are the specs.

ASUS Vintage-AH1 AMD Socket 939 barebones kit
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz Manchester Socket 939 Dual Core Processor
CORSAIR XMS 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400
Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
ASUS Black 16X DVD-ROM
Plextor PX-740A Black 16X DVD±R Dual Layer DVD Burner
eVGA Geforce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

This thing runs like a dream, the HDD seek is loud compaired to most 7200 RPM drives, but the increase in speed is well worth the noise IMHO, it's noticable volume but not annoying. The case itself is very quiet, and the onboard graphics are ATi Radeon x200 based I believe, and you'll need a PCIe graphics card if you plan on running the current games at a reasonable FPS rate. I highly recommend the Geforce 7600GT, as it's the best card available right now for under $200. I am very pleased with this system, I had to manually set the RAM timings and latency myself, since the mobo autodetected it at CAS3, when the RAM supports 2-3-3-6. (It defaults to 3-3-3-8 on this motherboard). I am using the stock 300W Power Supply Unit and the voltages on all rails are rock solid, even with the Geforce 7600GT installed which recommends a PSU with 400W minimum.

Could not be more pleased with the dual core CPU, it doesn't bog down at all when I am multitasking with several applications open at once. I highly recommned it. The Vintage case is solidly built and suits my needs well, although it's not the best mobo around, it handles very well. I didn't mess with any overclocking, as I read that this board is not suited for OC'ing very much.

Anyway, the bottom line is that it most certainly works perfectly with a dual core processor, and I'm willing to bet that it works with ANY socket 939 processor.

M1 Super-PI time was 40 Seconds.

Back
Top Bottom