Need a new wireless broadband router

SIB

SIB

Associate
My current wireless router (cheap and nasty) is falling over every other day now so i am looking to replace it with something a bit more substancial. I'm using Telewest Cable broadband and share the connection between two PCs in one room (wired trhough the router) and have 2 laptops and a PDA i use wirelessly.
I'm currently looking at the Netgear 614 and the Linksys WRT54GS. Anyone recommend one over the other and why (or something else entirely around the £50 mark) ?
One of my mates tells me Linksys are really unreliable and someone else swears by them !!

Soldato
With most things, you're bound to find some people that slate it, and some that think it is great.

I'd go with a Linksys WRT54GS. Whatever you do, don't waste your money on anything with Belkin written on it.

SIB

SIB

Associate
OP
CocoPops said:
ooops..

spot the person that just read "wireless broadband router" and assumed ADSL :( I just reread the thread and saw the cable reference.

oops...

LOL, glad to see it's not just me finding it all confusing !! :D. Thanks for the advice so far, i'll leave it a few more days before finally deciding

Caporegime
Myself I'd probably go for a D-Link DI-624+ which can be had for around £38.
You tend to get a bit more coverage with the AirPlusXtremeG+ series than most other kit, which helped a friend cover his big house.
I've got a DWL-2000AP+ access point and a DWL-G650+ pcmcia card in the laptop. Both have worked flawlessly over the last year.

SIB

SIB

Associate
OP
Cheers, i've also sourced a Linksys WRT54G for £40 which seems pretty good. I wouldn't really use the speed booster function anyway as one laptop has "B" spec wireless built in and the other laptop is "G" via a PCMCIA card but is only used for web browsing. Is there any real reason for me to spend the £10 extra for the "GS" model if i do plump for the Linksys?

Soldato
I am currently using a BT Voyager 205 Modem, and a Netgear 814v2 Router... Sort of a big mistake to be honest...

I am having serious issues gettign a wireless PC talking to it at all, while the Ethernet PCs ( All connected to a switch, and the switch connected to the router ) are all working just fine, I am getting massive slowdowns.

While the slowdowns are almost definitely the modem being, well... poo... The inability of me not getting the wireless stuff talking, is down to the router.

Oh, and also I have never been able to get onto the routers web based config page, which is supposed to be 198.162.0.1 because the Modems one comes up instead ( 198.162.1.1 )...

I am looking for an all-in-one, quite probably the linksys, as I used a Linksys WAP a while back and it was fine... Of course WAP are nothign like a router, but I was happy with the hardware, plus I got a load of Linksys Wireless adapters anywa, so I am hoping that being the very same make of hardware all round will cure my problems for once and for all.

Now, I am currently on BT Broadband, but since getting a bill for several million quid after going over my cap... Admittedly by a tad more than you'd think, I am now moving over to XLN Business broadband as my shop and home are on their Phone Service, why not the internet too?

Back
Top Bottom