• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Guide wanted for changing 4870 cooling to Accelero S2

Soldato
Hey will,

when you removed the stock cooler off your 4870 does the heat sinks for the ram and VRMs come off at the same time?

If they do can you reuse the thermal pads on them?

cheers

If you are referring to the stock HSF, then yea it does come off all at the same time, you can unscrew the cooletr and its split into separate parts, the fan comes off, the plastic covering, the heatsink base and the copper sinks come off separately too.

Associate
If you are referring to the stock HSF, then yea it does come off all at the same time, you can unscrew the cooletr and its split into separate parts, the fan comes off, the plastic covering, the heatsink base and the copper sinks come off separately too.

cheers for the reply,
I'm gonna stick some AS5 on the gpu cooler, hopefully that will drop a few degrees,

P.S what fan controlling program do you guys use? is the new rivertuner any good? also does rivertuner not like it when CCC is installed at the same time?

thanks

Associate
take a look at the VRM cooler to ensure the usually rubbish chewing gum tape they fit as standard is making good contact. Best thing is to remove that and use some decent thermal tape and reseat it.

Any images of this , and what's thermal tape i no of paste but not tape?

Associate
Any images of this , and what's thermal tape i no of paste but not tape?

No images I'm afraid, and the cards buried in my PC now, but do a Google for thermal tape and you should find some images.

The stuff that is on the PCS 4870 VRM sink, and other sinks I've lifted over the years, is what can only be described as 'chewing gum' style thermal compound. I guess it is put on wet, but then dries to a sticky chewing gum type consistency.

The thermal pads generally found on stock GPU cooler heatsinks is almost like a thin layer of cotton wool sandwiched between two layers of PTFE tape. I'm not saying that's what it's made of, but that's what it looks like!

Those pads aren't really sticky but just sit between the RAM and Heatsink to transfer heat.

Associate
No images I'm afraid, and the cards buried in my PC now, but do a Google for thermal tape and you should find some images.

The stuff that is on the PCS 4870 VRM sink, and other sinks I've lifted over the years, is what can only be described as 'chewing gum' style thermal compound. I guess it is put on wet, but then dries to a sticky chewing gum type consistency.

The thermal pads generally found on stock GPU cooler heatsinks is almost like a thin layer of cotton wool sandwiched between two layers of PTFE tape. I'm not saying that's what it's made of, but that's what it looks like!

Those pads aren't really sticky but just sit between the RAM and Heatsink to transfer heat.

cheers i understand what you mean now mate :)

Back
Top Bottom