• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 470/480 looks like a fail so some help please?

Associate
OP
It is strange ... I'm using W7 and the thought of doing a fresh install horrifies me! Yes I have a ghost back up but that's no good with changing drivers from one manufacturer to another, the ghost version has the Nvidia drivers in it. I'll wing it and see what happens.
Normally I delete the drivers, go through the folders looking for nvidia left overs then into the registry and work my way down the list seeing if there's anything untoward, then reboot, reinstall... that should be enough?
Failing that then an install will have to happen.

Associate
I've got a ATI and a Nvidia card in my PC at the same time, both with running drivers......... Now what do I do?

Shall I call the driver police?

Seriously dude, modern OS's are fairly smart..... Smart enough to figure out not to try to use some insignificant old Nvidia driver files to power an ATI card anyways.

Could you give me more info on running and ATi and Nvidia card together please mate? Thats what i am planning to do but know nothing about it and how to do it.

Associate
OP
£ for £ the 2X5850 is my best option so I've ordered elsewhere these two cards

1GB XFX HD 5850 XXX, PCI-E 2.0(x16), 4500MHz GDDR5, GPU 755MHz, 1440 Cores

Hope I'm impressed :)

Associate
As for the physx. I do not use the hack method I just get a version of teh drivers that pre-date the blockage form nVidia.
You will be missing out on physx effects, for example there would be no APEX Turbulence(smoke) from the jetpack in darkvoid with the old drivers.

Could you give me more info on running and ATi and Nvidia card together please mate? Thats what i am planning to do but know nothing about it and how to do it.

Easy to do, it will take about 5 mins and away you go. You can get info and files here.
http://physxinfo.com/news/942/hybrid-physx-mod-1-02-195-xx-drivers-and-win-xp-support/
Note, you should stick with the 196.21 drivers just now until they make a proper fix for the new drivers.

Last edited:
Associate
£ for £ the 2X5850 is my best option so I've ordered elsewhere these two cards

1GB XFX HD 5850 XXX, PCI-E 2.0(x16), 4500MHz GDDR5, GPU 755MHz, 1440 Cores

Hope I'm impressed :)

impressed you would be, review for the 5850x2 is gr8

Last edited:
Soldato
You will be missing out on physx effects, for example there would be no smoke coming from the jetpack in darkvoid with the old drivers.

Easy to do, it will take about 5 mins and away you go. You can get info and files here.
http://physxinfo.com/news/942/hybrid-physx-mod-1-02-195-xx-drivers-and-win-xp-support/
Note, you should stick with the 196.21 drivers just now until they make a proper fix for the new drivers.

Proper fix is done......

http://physxinfo.com/news/2643/hybrid-physx-197-xx-drivers-and-physx-performance-fix/

No extended desktop needed or anything with the latest 197.15 drivers. Tested it myself.

Associate
OP
Wanna thank you all for answering and helping me today without taking this thread into the "dark place" of NV Vs Ati.

Actually I'm 500 quid poorer grrrrrr lol

Give your selves a pat on the back - this is what the forums all about - helping each other. Thx Chaps!:D

Permabanned
Wanna thank you all for answering and helping me today without taking this thread into the "dark place" of NV Vs Ati.

Actually I'm 500 quid poorer grrrrrr lol

Give your selves a pat on the back - this is what the forums all about - helping each other. Thx Chaps!:D
£500?

Guessing that means 5850 crossfire then? :p

Associate
OP
Cards came today - tried BFBC2 without any real issues.
Wondering if there's any tweaks I should now carry out in BIOS etc?
Thanks again lads - looks like the cards are a winner

Soldato
Cards came today - tried BFBC2 without any real issues.
Wondering if there's any tweaks I should now carry out in BIOS etc?
Thanks again lads - looks like the cards are a winner

Just read up on overclocking those bad boys and you will end up with two cards that not only preform better then a single HD5970 but are faster then 2x HD5870 in crossfire!

Associate
I've got a ATI and a Nvidia card in my PC at the same time, both with running drivers......... Now what do I do?

Shall I call the driver police?

Seriously dude, modern OS's are fairly smart..... Smart enough to figure out not to try to use some insignificant old Nvidia driver files to power an ATI card anyways.

Not true i use W7 and i got my replacment gtx280 back last week the ATI driver for my 5770 was a pain in the ass to uninstall even driver sweeper didant get rid of everything
My replacment 280 was performing prity crap at first thought they had sent me a fualty card till i noticed some ATI process still running in the back ground manualy deleted it now my 280 works fine

Associate
OP
Well I uninstalled and just installed the 10-3 W7 64Bit pack and everything went fine...
Actually if I'm honest this unnerved me a bit because there was no issues I thought there was a problem lol - I went through the system menu looking for problems hehe

To all you NV fanboys - I understand your resentment to change... change is not nice, especially when you've been top of the Graphics card heap for so long. But trust this unbiased opinion of mine... I put my two 5850's into my rig, installed the drivers, played several games to test the system out and it works flawlessly, in fact I'd give the swap from NV to ATi 10 out of 10.

ATI HAVE GOT WHAT IT TAKES>>> I'M GLAD I TOOK THE GAMBLE and ALSO SAVED MYSELF SOME CASH. IF YOU ARE THINKING OF A NEW CARD(S) TRUST ME WHEN I SAY ATi NOW HAVE AN OPTION FOR YOU.

Back
Top Bottom