Dr F33lG00d's Authentic Thai Curry Recipes

Soldato
Dr F33lG00d's Authentic Thai Green Curry Recipe

Hi all,

I've been asked by a couple of members for my Thai Curry recipes - Green, Red, Massaman,Penang and a couple of soups, Tom Yum and Tom Ka.

To give you a little background, I learnt to cook Thai through some good friends I met whilst they were studying in Portsmouth and I helped my mate run his Thai Cafe. I expanded my knowledge during a trip to Thailand in 2009, visiting Bangkok, the islands (Krabi, Koh PhiPhi) and up to Chang Mai.

The first thing you need to know about Thai food is that each recipe is different - families cook their own way and that knowledge is shared. Some cook quickly, on the hob, others take their time and allow things to heat for hours in the oven... Ingredients vary, depending on what's in season and available, but the important thing is freshness.

We're lucky in the UK in that veg, meat, etc is relatively inexpensive. I cooked a green curry in Vancouver and the chicken thighs cost 5 times what the do here! I also couldn't find palm sugar, despite the huge Asian population there!
I have a local Thai food market that sells popular Asian brands of cupboard essentials, Curry Paste, Soup bases, palm sugar and Nam Pla (fish sauce) - which is used in place of salt. If you don't have an Asian food store nearby, your local Asda should have most of what you need in the World Foods section (the aisle with the large sacks of chapati flour and Polish imports).
Avoid the regular Curry/Pasta/Texican section as the ingredients will be a lot dearer. To give you an idea of the difference, the tins of Coconut Milk shown below are 89p, from Asda's World Foods aisle, the Kingfisher brand of coconut milk in the regular Curry/Pasta/Texican is £1.47 a can!

In the fruit & veg section at Asda, you can pick up a Thai curry pack, which includes Galangal (looks like ginger), a couple of chillis, garlic, tiny shallots (I don't bother with them) and lemongrass.

You'll notice I wash everything - this is due to hearing some horror stories, both in the UK and Thailand... I rinse the tops of tins too - call it OCD, but since my kids eat my cooking too, I'd rather be safe than sorry...

Here's my recipe for Gaeng Keowan (Lit. Green Curry).
The following amounts comfortably serve 4, (but my wife and I love it = 2 bat ******* portions, with a portion left over!)

You can change the recipe about, mix up the veg, leave bits out or add more - if something's essential or there's a method that doesn't make sense, I'll try to explain why I do it that way.

I use chicken thigh fillets as I find the meat stays moist when cooking in the oven. You can substitute breast meat, particularly if you only use the hob, but I'd sizzle and seal the meat first. Or replace the chicken for turkey (leaner alternative), beef or pork (again, seal or it'll be very dry), or king prawns (I'd throw them in for the last 5 minutes of cooking, defrosted, of course) or leave the meat out all together...

You will need:
All of this
119ts0o.jpg

These are fine to stay in the fridge/cupboard for next time
rmmxww.jpg

29dcq4l.jpg

3 cans of Coconut Milk (avoid the light stuff, it's too watery! Buy an extra can if you want Coconut Rice)
5-600g Boneless Chicken Thighs (or similar amount of other meat)
2 med Onions
2 Green Peppers
3-5 Birdseye Chillis (get red ones, you'll find out why!)
A handful of Kaffir Lime Leaves
A sprinkle of Thai Basil (dried or fresh, either is fine)
Small lump of Galangal, cut into slices (about the size of a 10p piece)
2 cloves of Garlic
1 large tbsp green curry paste (or more/less depending on your tolerence)
2 tbsp Ground nut oil (or regular vegetable/sunflower oil)
2 tbsp Nam Pla (more/less to taste)
1 teasp Palm Sugar (or regular cane sugar, to taste)

2eeh6dc.jpg

(Optional)
Pack of Mange Tout & Baby Corn (or Asparagus, or other small, not too flavoursome veg)
120g Shi-take Mushrooms - washed thoroughly! (or regular button mushrooms will do)
Tin of Water Chestnuts (rinsed thoroughly and quartered)

1ovqwy.jpg

Method:

In your biggest, oven-safe curry pot, on a medium hob, heat the oil and then add the curry paste:
2cieivk.jpg

Yes, it looks like baby poo!
33ogo46.jpg

Mix/stir and sizzle, making sure it doesn't burn. It will start to split, this is fine:
2zeezxs.jpg

In the meantime, wash ALL the packaged ingredients under cold water, particularly the mushrooms, lemongrass, galangal and peppers...

Shake the cans of Coconut Milk well, then open, paying attention to the cream inside the lid:

2yu0ri8.jpg

Take the curry pot off the heat and pour in the 2 cans of Coconut Milk, making sure you scrape the cream off the lids and stir into the paste:

ibgfv5.jpg

Mix well and the pierce the Birdseye chillis (carefully - you may want to wear disposable gloves!) and throw them in, making sure to note how many there are (you'll be removing them before serving):

15czup5.jpg

Remove any loose leaves/strands from the lemongrass, then use the butt of your knife (not your best ceramic one!) to lightly bash and bruise the stalks. You want them to only just split, otherwise they'll disintegrate during cooking and you'll be fishing out dozens of inedible leaves. Add those and a few good Kaffir Lime Leaves to the pot:

9bexog.jpg

snyn2d.jpg

Add a generous splash of Nam Pla (the fish sauce) - yes it reeks, it's vile, but it's an essential part of Thai cooking and the curry will suffer without it!

Discard any rubbish Lime Leaves

145s94.jpg

6znhxj.jpg

Peel and half your garlic cloves - removing the green core (this is what gives you "Garlic Breath") and finely chop and add to the pot:

izuut4.jpg

b89r2b.jpg

Then you want add a few slices of Galangal - no need to peel, just make sure it's washed. Remember how many you add (same for chillis and Lime Leaves) as you'll fish them out before serving. Some recipes tell you to grate the Galangal and you can also find tubs of pre-grated (much like the Easy Ginger/Chilli/Garlic), if that's all that is available then fine, but I tend not to bother:

20gdyrn.jpg

Let everything simmer, on med-low heat and add a scattering of Thai Basil:

6ssyaf.jpg

inbmol.jpg

Add a quarter teaspoon of palm sugar and stir...

After 5-10 minutes (depending on how long your hob takes to get up to temp), give the Milk a little taste:

2hye6ud.jpg

Add more Nam Pla, or a half-teaspoon of palm sugar, whatever you think is needed. Go careful, it's easy to over-season. You will also be tasting once the meat has cooked and again after the veg...

Needs more sweet!

i2il3n.jpg

Whilst that's bubbling away, put on the lid and prep your meat (fnar-fnar!). If using thigh fillets, you want to trim any tough bits and check for bone shards. Don't be tempted to trim all the fat, this is essential for the flavour! Cut into reasonable pieces, spoon-sized, but be aware that most of the thighs will dissolve. If you're cooking for a few, breast is easier as you can better portion-control:

(Now is also a good time to turn the oven on - you want it at 150C (Fan Oven) or about Gas Mark 4...)

5wblvq.jpg

22rfk.jpg

2ldw2lx.jpg

Stir in the meat, making sure it's all covered with the milk (pour in more if needed) and replace the lid. Allow to simmer (keep checking the hob temperature, you don't want it to burn) - a gentle bubble is fine:

28mjzo8.jpg

Whilst that's simmering, prep your veg:
Halve the corn, or it will take forever to soften!
2lsk4za.jpg

You want spoon-sized veggies, it's a curry, after all!
dxzsw3.jpg

After rinsing, quarter the water chestnuts, not only will they go further, someone will end up scalding their mouth, as they retain heat like a wossname!
iyn8df.jpg

Add the harder veg first, whilst they're simmering, prepare the Mange-Tout and Shi-take Mushrooms:

Remove any manky ones and slice the Mange Tout, remove any soggy bits or nasty bits of mushroom and slice evenly:

raoq5h.jpg

2u8zc6r.jpg

2hojz3m.jpg

i1locx.jpg

Simmering away nicely!
2upwy84.jpg

Whilst that's bubbling away happily, you want to clear your sides and load the dishwasher/sink...

Before you put the pot in the oven, double check you have enough Coconut Milk covering everything (add more if needed, but don't be tempted to add more curry paste!) Be sure to leave a couple of tbsps of milk in the tin!

Your kitchen should now look like this:

11c7bll.jpg

You can let this cook all day (if all day, Gas Mark 3 / 140C Fan is fine, just whack the heat up 20 mins before serving!) , an hour or just 20 minutes - all you're doing is allowing the meat to soak up flavours and the veg to soften. If it's less than 30 minutes, I'd leave it on the hob to simmer.

Once you're nearly ready to serve, cook your rice. If you feel like it, replace half the water with coconut milk and a half-teasp of palm sugar - it's seriously tasty!

Once the rice is done, carefully remove the curry pot from the oven and remove the lid - bet you can't stop yourself from salivating! ;)

It'll look like this:

fun8qq.jpg

If you're worried about fat, feel free to spoon this off, but I assure you, even though this is a pretty fatty dish, it is still very healthy! :cool:

Give it a stir and start to carefully remove the chillis, lemongrass, lime leaves and galangal (this is why it's important to remember how many you added!)

A slatted spoodle is handy for this!
2922mab.jpg

"I know what you're thinking; did he use 3 Birdseye Chillis, or 4?" :rolleyes:
x5xojo.jpg

Dish up the rice and make a well for the curry:

2qbuj9t.jpg

The slatted spoon makes dishing up easier - you want loads of the veg and a bit of meat!

2vll2lz.jpg

Use a ladle for the sauce, the more the merrier - drown that rice! :D :

2enuv53.jpg

Drizzle some of the remaining Coconut Milk over the whole dish, not essential but looks pretty!

1zfqt0x.jpg

Should end up like:

vh5efm.jpg

Start with a tbsp of paste to 2 cans of coconut milk (my recipe above has 1 tbsp per can, but I like the depth and fire!) and keep tasting as you're cooking - Some basic principles are:

Not enough depth = a touch more paste
Too spicy = add more milk
Not spicy enough = pierce and add another chilli
Too sweet = add a splash of fish sauce
Too salty = add a squeeze of lime

When adjusting for flavour, I'd use teaspoon amounts and stir well, allow to come back to the simmer then check again - you're cooking to your taste, after all, not the tastebuds of the recipe owner!

Ultimately, experiment and enjoy!

Bon Appetit! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
Looks like a really good recipe. Fairly similar to how I make it :)

I think the pre-made pastes are awesome, especially for green curries. Getting that level of spiciness from a from-scratch sauce is quite hard I find.

Soldato
I'll definitely be making this, you can't beat a good Green Curry. Thanks a lot for posting up such a good recipe, looking forward to the rest!

Soldato
Thai's not really my sort of thing, but I've unlurked just to say this is a fantastically well thought-out and demonstrated recipe.

Well-written, full of useful information and the accompanying photography is perfect for the job at hand. Definitely the new standard for these sort of threads and I applaud the OP for his efforts.

I've only got one question for Dr F33lG00d: for someone with such an obvious love for the cuisine, should I be surprised your paste wasn't home-made or is that norm for modern Thai cooking?

Up next - a dessert featuring milk and alcohol, perhaps?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Good recipe - would not have thought to use chicken thigh. I normally use tiger prawns or breast meat.

Agreed on the paste point above though - I have that exact brand in my fridge from my local Oriental supermarket and found it to be incredibly salty so it's been there a while. My own was amazing but took hours and about fifteen ingredients to make though so it's a right pain.

The best thing about a lot of the ingredients are that you can buy them and freeze them - lemongrass, chillis, holy basil, lime leaves... all good in the freezer. I tend to chop or shred them fine and leave them in though, topping and tailing and removing the harder layers of the lemongrass. Is there a reason why you only bash the stem and not the head other than to stop it breaking up? Loads of goodness in the end bit!

FTM

FTM

Soldato
the proper thai made pastes at the local asian supermarket are much better than the green dragon alternative you buy in the supermarkets..better value and give a much better depth of flavour.

plus they dont just do red and green, the massaman one I got last time is bloody lovely

Soldato
OP
Thai's not really my sort of thing, but I've unlurked just to say this is a fantastically well thought-out and demonstrated recipe.

Well-written, full of useful information and the accompanying photography is perfect for the job at hand. Definitely the new standard for these sort of threads and I applaud the OP for his efforts. Thank you very much, it took some time to construct and make sure it flowed well and was simple to follow

I've only got one question for Dr F33lG00d: for someone with such an obvious love for the cuisine, should I be surprised your paste wasn't home-made or is that norm for modern Thai cooking?
Even if I had hours and access to all the ingredients, I'd probably still use the pre-made paste, provided it's an authentic Thai brand and you experiment with amounts (some require more, others less), as a general rule of thumb, one tbsp per can of Coconut Milk gives great flavour and depth, but not too much heat. This is why I add the chillis - Don't be tempted to add more paste just for more heat, you'll spoil the curry - use the chillis for that!

Good recipe - would not have thought to use chicken thigh. I normally use tiger prawns or breast meat.

Agreed on the paste point above though - I have that exact brand in my fridge from my local Oriental supermarket and found it to be incredibly salty so it's been there a while. My own was amazing but took hours and about fifteen ingredients to make though so it's a right pain.

The best thing about a lot of the ingredients are that you can buy them and freeze them - lemongrass, chillis, holy basil, lime leaves... all good in the freezer. I tend to chop or shred them fine and leave them in though, topping and tailing and removing the harder layers of the lemongrass. Is there a reason why you only bash the stem and not the head other than to stop it breaking up? Loads of goodness in the end bit!
I do bash the head, just not enough to break it up. Feel free to top&tail, or bash away, it's just laziness on my part in not wanting to spend the entire meal fishing for strands - much easier for you (and your guests) to remove before serving.

the proper thai made pastes at the local asian supermarket are much better than the green dragon alternative you buy in the supermarkets..better value and give a much better depth of flavour.

plus they dont just do red and green, the Massaman one I got last time is bloody lovely
Next recipe will be a Massaman or Penang - if you want a red curry, just follow the above steps, using red instead of green paste!
Mae Ploy, Nittaya, Thai Taste (salty!) and Co-ck brands are genuine Thai brand pastes, Mae Ploy is probably the easiest to source (Asda sell it) but Nittaya is my favourite - definitely more depth, but my wife finds it "fishy" (due to the level of shrimp paste used). I prefer to keep the fishiness to the prawn or cod curries. Search you nearest Asian food market, you'll either find the above brands, or the ingredients to make your own, if not order paste here or find a good recipe for green paste here;)

FTM

FTM

Soldato
I get the mae-ploy pastes from the local asian supermarket and its more than acceptable to be honest..and like you say if you want more heat add chilli not more paste.

the wierd thing is my wife doesnt like coconut or broccoli

but she loves thai food..especially a green curry..with loads of broccoli so it absorbs loads of the sauce

Soldato
OP
My wife has got her taste for Thai back (after it went on hiatus during the pregnancy), so I should be able to put another guide up shortly.
What do you good people fancy? A really easy Tom Yum soup (as a simple starter or really filling main) or a delicious Massaman (Peanut & Potato curry) Beef goes well in this - ?

I'm not sure if I should start another thread for it, or put it here? Perhaps a Mod could give me a couple of reserved posts underneath my original one...

Let me know! :D

Soldato
Excellent recipe & guide! I'll be giving this a shot soon.

The only problem with it is... I've just had a sample of Red Thai curry when I was picking up something for dinner in Cook. I was already craving one and now I'm drooling at the sheer thought. My braised beef just isn't going to cut it tonight :(

any chance of a red curry one just the same, or a quick rundown of how they differ?

Soldato
delicious Massaman (Peanut & Potato curry) Beef goes well in this - ?

This gets my vote, sounds amazing!!!

I'm not sure if I should start another thread for it, or put it here? Perhaps a Mod could give me a couple of reserved posts underneath my original one...

Let me know! :D

Personally I'd prefer a new thread (with the recipe name in the title) for each dish to keep things simple to follow and search for and easy to find in a subscribed threads list too!

Soldato
OP
Excellent recipe & guide! I'll be giving this a shot soon.

The only problem with it is... I've just had a sample of Red Thai curry when I was picking up something for dinner in Cook. I was already craving one and now I'm drooling at the sheer thought. My braised beef just isn't going to cut it tonight :(

any chance of a red curry one just the same, or a quick rundown of how they differ?

The basic guide is the same - sizzle the paste and add the Coconut Milk to the paste, not the other way round - you need the paste to split a little in order for the aromas to be released.

I would slice the beef into thin strips and add after the harder veg, depending on what you use. It won't need cooking for long, you don't want shoe leather.

One tip, if you have time, is to boil/braise the beef (whole) in beef or vegetable stock (nothing too salty), before slicing and adding to the curry.

Red sauce differs slightly to green in flavour, it is usually more pungent, more firey chillis used, it can also contain tomatoes, depending on the paste recipe.
Again, use the paste for flavour, but if you want more heat, add chillis.
I would also add a squeeze of fresh lime at the same time as the coconut milk, to balance the fish sauce, rather than too much palm sugar, or you'll end up with an overly sweet curry (which is then verging on a Massaman).

Start with a tbsp of paste to 2 cans of coconut milk (my recipe above has 1 tbsp per can, but I like the depth and fire!) and keep tasting as you're cooking - Some basic principles are:

When adjusting for flavour, I'd use teaspoon amounts and stir well, allow to come back to the simmer then check again - you're cooking to your taste, after all, not the tastebuds of the recipe owner!

Ultimately, experiment and enjoy! :D

Last edited:

FTM

FTM

Soldato
The basic guide is the same - sizzle the paste and add the Coconut Milk to the paste, not the other way round - you need the paste to split a little in order for the aromas to be released.

I would slice the beef into thin strips and add after the harder veg, depending on what you use. It won't need cooking for long, you don't want shoe leather.

One tip, if you have time, is to boil/braise the beef (whole) in beef or vegetable stock (nothing too salty), before slicing and adding to the curry.

Red sauce differs slightly to green in flavour, it is usually more pungent, more firey chillis used, it can also contain tomatoes, depending on the paste recipe.
Again, use the paste for flavour, but if you want more heat, add chillis.
I would also add a squeeze of fresh lime at the same time as the coconut milk, to balance the fish sauce, rather than too much palm sugar, or you'll end up with an overly sweet curry (which is then verging on a Massaman).

Ultimately, experiment and enjoy! :D

i think this is the best thing about pastes instead of a ready made sauce...you fry off the paste with the veg etc and they take on that that depth of flavour you just cannot get by adding a sauce to already cooked ingredients. plus it smells amazing as it cooks

I like fresh coriander at the last second for a bit extra fragrance

Back
Top Bottom