Dr F33lG00d's Authentic Thai Curry Recipes

Soldato
I had a sort of a go at this yesterday, was a bit limited with some of the ingredients as the supermarket I went to was rubbish.

Made do with coconut millk, green paste, chillis, ginger, fish sauce, sugar, and various veg and it was delicious!!!

I look forward to the next recipe! :)

Soldato
OP
I had a sort of a go at this yesterday, was a bit limited with some of the ingredients as the supermarket I went to was rubbish.

Made do with coconut millk, green paste, chillis, ginger, fish sauce, sugar, and various veg and it was delicious!!!

I look forward to the next recipe! :)

We need pics next time! :p
I hope the guide was of some help to you? Good on you for giving it a go! Did you find tasting and adjusting throughout the cooking process helpful? :D

Soldato
No pics as I was trying to get everything done nice and quick as my girlfriend and I were really hungry!!! lol

Essentially I just did thai green veg as it was to go with a soy and sesame salmon en croute I made..

Your guide was a great help, next time I hope to be able to get all the ingredients and maybe give it a little more care but considering I was rushing around and basically bunged everything together and left it for a bit, it actually turned out really well.

I was quite surprised how much of the fish sauce it took to get the flavour to really come to life, that and a nice bit of sugar really brought it all together well.

Soldato
Tried this last week, so just thought I'd say how good it was. Rather than chicken, I used king prawns added right at the end - very nice indeed! Look forward to seeing some more recipes from you :D

Soldato
OP
Good on you - I'm glad you enjoyed it :)
I've already got the photos together for a Massaman Curry using Feather Steak, in which I boil the beef foran hour and use the stock to make a fantastically tasty slow cooked meal! As soon as I get a chance to do so, I'll put the guide up and link to it here...

Soldato
Great recipe! I use something quite similar (and ate it tonight!). It's dead easy to make your own paste with a food processor too and I think it gives a much fresher taste than the paste. If time is of the essence then paste is fine. The reason I love Thai curry is that it's so easy and once you have all the ingredients you can make it quickly over and over.

I love throwing in a couple of cherry tomatoes a few minutes before serving. Spicy tomatoes that explode molten spicy lava in your mouth! Freshening up the paste can just as easily be done with regular ginger if there's no galangal available.

Looking forward to seeing some others!

Soldato
I don't mean to sound critical but a homemade paste is a lot better than one out of a tub. I'm quite surprised it was mentioned it took hours. It actually takes 5 minutes. You just throw everything in the blender and whizz it up.

I'm also quite surprised at the lack of fresh coriander at the end, it's usually an essential in Thai cooking and I've never known anyone to make a Thai curry without it.

The three key elements of Thai cooking are salty, sweet and sour. Nam pla for the salty, palm sugar for the sweet and lime for the sour. The squeeze of lime is essential in Thai cooking. Rather than to correct too much fish sauce.

You also mention washing the mushrooms, you should never wash mushrooms. Using a mushroom brush or a damp cloth is ideal.

I hope I haven't came across as an idiot know it all. I just want people to be as well informed as possible.

I'm jealous you've visited so many nice places, and your curry looked amazing.

P.S. for anyone liking a less watery sauce, you can thicken it with a little corn flour mixed with the coconut milk, makes for a nicer consistency IMO. Less like water, or you could reduce it on the hob with the lid off alternatively.

Looking forward to your other Thai recipes. I'm a big fan of Thai food.

Soldato
OP
Made this last night and it was utterly fantastic.

Thanks for taking the time to post an amazing recipe. :)

You're very welcome - I'm pleased you enjoyed it!
I will be hopefully making time to post my Beef Massaman recipe soon - took 10 hours (total cooking time), but since we had friends round to share, it was absolutely worth taking the extra time to boil the beef and slow cook in the oven - was very well received by all! I used Feather steak, a "cheaper" cut of meat, but turned out incredibly tender!
Watch this space...

Associate
Redmogg, Did you ever get round to your massamam recipe ? Would love to see it and have a go. Tried a few in the past but none that good.

Associate
this seems like an appropriate place to post up a little tip. The absolute best coconut milk for Thai food that money can buy is 'Rajah', which is available at some ASDA stores.

The reason for this is because it appears to have very little in the way of stabilisers and emulsifiers which means the contents reliably split into coconut cream and coconut milk.

This is ideal for Thai food, as the coconut cream breaks down when heated in a pan into solids and coconut oil, in which you fry your paste. The coconut milk is then used as a stock.

Soldato
(Disclosure: Married to a Thai)

Nothing wrong with premade pastes, hardly any Thai will botherto make their own as they can be bought at the local market. In the absence of that buy good paste - not Mae Ploy - Nittiya is very good.

According to SWMBO, none of the chili, galangal, lemongrass should be added at all. They're already in the paste. This recipe looks like a mix of tom yum and gaeng keo wan. Add lime leaves at the end and serve them, just don't eat them. You can get frozen ones.

Wouldn't bother with the mushrooms, mange tout, baby corn, chestnuts. Not things you would see in anything other than curry made for tourists. Best vegetable ingredient is to use bay aubergines (about twice the size as garden peas).

Good paste has more than enough salt in it that adding Nam Pla will make it too salty. Green curry is slightly sweet (that's what the last syllable - wan - means) so too much salt will ruin it.

Last (hopefully constructive) criticism: after heating the paste in the oil, add the meat straight away (preferably cook in a wok) and cook the meat quickly through. Then add all the other ingredients - chilis, lemongrass, peppers (as many different colours as you have), coconut milk - and serve quickly. It should never stew - no more than 30 minutes in a wok.

Back
Top Bottom