Iceshock's Ongoing long project log. (Move to 750D, New room transformation, New motherboard + ram,

Soldato
OP
that's lovely! I ahd a 750D up until last week and it's great case. and black brushed aluminium and blue go together very well

Thanks :) iv pained my crossfire cable black so that it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. and im planning on painting the yellow writing on the PSU where it says RM to blue, I just don't know what would be the best way of doing so, im absolutely useless when it comes to masking stuff, or painting etc.

I just cant wait to get some blue braided cables, then it will look so much better!

Associate
Thanks :) iv pained my crossfire cable black so that it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. and im planning on painting the yellow writing on the PSU where it says RM to blue, I just don't know what would be the best way of doing so, im absolutely useless when it comes to masking stuff, or painting etc.

I just cant wait to get some blue braided cables, then it will look so much better!

you could always replace your psu with one of the new HXi. writting is already blue haha.
If not, why not make your own stickers? at least it's not a permanent mod and if you need to send it for an RMA there won't be any problem

Soldato
OP
you could always replace your psu with one of the new HXi. writting is already blue haha.
If not, why not make your own stickers? at least it's not a permanent mod and if you need to send it for an RMA there won't be any problem

I know, my RM1000 is new though, I got it about hmm, 4-5 months ago, I wouldn't of got it if I knew about the HXi series that's just been released!

Yeah iv thought about making my own sticker for it, not very good at that sort of thing though :p

Soldato
OP
Been a busy bee, some more updates to my ongoing project of my rig for ya :)
Here are some quotes from two things iv done recently:

Hello there,

Just been playing around with a idea I had for a while to get better spacing between my graphics cards.
Basically, my motherboard has 3 pci-e slots, but only the top two work due to only having a sandy bridge processor and I run 8x 8x, and if I did get a ivy bridge processor and used slot 1 and 3 id be running 16x4x and loosing around 3-5% performance, though I would get better cooling to my top gpu...

So a idea was to use a pci-e riser because iv read a article that shows there is NO performance loss through using one at all.
So, the problem with using one is I cant just move my card down a few slots because my motherboard is in the way, so I could mount the 2nd cpu vertically so the two cards make a right angle shape, but there wasn't enough space I tried it.

So heres what iv come up with, I just mounted the second gpu diagonally, it doesn't look too bad though some of you might think it looks stupid, but the idea works for cooling :) the pictures make it look worse than it does in person, plus im getting rid of them Horrible horrible standard black power cables in a few days for my birthday (present from the missis :D)

for mounting, I just used two tie wraps on the pci-e bracket, and I used a xbox 360 controller stick that I had spare to prop up the graphics card to give it stability and extra strength as you can see in the pictures.

So here goes, the before and after pictures and results (results below all pictures)
(oh also, iv painted the crossfire bridge black with a permanent marker pen):

spacing before:
IMG_5073.jpg

And after

IMG_5413.jpg

IMG_5417.jpg

IMG_5419.jpg

IMG_5420.jpg

IMG_5422.jpg

IMG_5424.jpg

IMG_5427.jpg

Okay the results.
Benchmarking firestrike before @ 1125/1450 (Auto default fan curve's used)
(Ambient temp 20c)

Gpu1 Fan 58% - 73c
Gpu2 Fan 34% - 58c

After

Gpu1 Fan 34% - 61c
Gpu2 Fan 30% - 57c

As you can see the difference is quite massive, before I did this I could hear the top gpu fan as it was a hotter of the two cards, but now they are running as if they would if it was just a single card temperature wise which is what I was trying to achieve so job well done as far as im concerned :)

and my rgb mod

rgb_mod.jpg

Hey there,

My cold cathode tubes was looking a bit tired, and the power box the two plugged into started making strange whistling sounds and noises which started to annoy me and iv always wanted some led lighting in my case.

So I purchased some cheap RGB led's off of ebay see here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M-2M-3M-...ng_Lamps_Lighting_SM&var=&hash=item2c76eca983

I opted to go for the £12 kit (2m length), because my idea was to route the power cable from the wall socket into my case, but then I realised theres no holes big enough to fit the wire through... So I could have just gone for the cheap £6 kit, because I braved up and decided though I know nothing about electrics to hook it up to my PSU! so heres how it went:

Here is what the kit includes

IMG_5473.jpg

This is what I cut in half to find the black and red wires

IMG_5475.jpg

And I cut the black and red wires off of my old cold cathodes cabling,
But you do not need to do this, just cut the old Molex plug off of anything and connect the black and red's together and your good.
Untitled_1.jpg

Here it is wired up, I just used insulation electrical tape because I don't have a solder or anything like that, but after all its electrical tape so I figured it will either work or go with a bang!

IMG_5478.jpg

It worked!! my face lit up like a Christmas tree, I literally stood back from my pc and pressed the power button with a shoe incase it went bang because like I said, Im not very good with electrics! but if I can do this, then anyone can do it, it was a absolute piece of cake!!

IMG_5477.jpg

The led strip comes with sticky back, so time to stick it around the case

IMG_5481.jpg

IMG_5482.jpg

IMG_5483.jpg

IMG_5484.jpg

IMG_5486.jpg

IMG_5488.jpg

As you can see 2m length is Perfect for the 750D.

Now I will leave you with a bunch of pictures of the colours, there is a lot more colours than pictures I took here, though sorry about my bad camera work, a phone :)

IMG_5494.jpg

IMG_5495.jpg

IMG_5496.jpg

IMG_5497.jpg

IMG_5498.jpg

IMG_5499.jpg

IMG_5500.jpg

IMG_5501.jpg

IMG_5502.jpg

IMG_5505.jpg

IMG_5506.jpg

IMG_5507.jpg

IMG_5508.jpg

IMG_5509.jpg

IMG_5510.jpg

IMG_5511.jpg

IMG_5512.jpg

Overall im very pleased with it! I love how I can change the colour, brightness and everything, can even have it to change colour really slowly or fast or flashing or anything, but for now I just leave it on a static colour, I think it looks much better, never again will I buy expensive lighting!

Hope you enjoyed reading :)

Associate
Awesome work Ice! I've just moved out (well into my Aunties as parents moving mileage away and will be terrible commute for me to work!) and I've progressed a good bit with my own room here! Just need to design a desk get it made and install everything ready for my soon-to-be first build in the new year :p I don't have as much room as you but you've certainly inspired me to crack on with everything! Don't think it'll be worth posting a log but if people don't mind a rubbishly done log I may just do so :p

Cracking work again Ice, love it!

Soldato
OP
Awesome work Ice! I've just moved out (well into my Aunties as parents moving mileage away and will be terrible commute for me to work!) and I've progressed a good bit with my own room here! Just need to design a desk get it made and install everything ready for my soon-to-be first build in the new year :p I don't have as much room as you but you've certainly inspired me to crack on with everything! Don't think it'll be worth posting a log but if people don't mind a rubbishly done log I may just do so :p

Cracking work again Ice, love it!

haha get it done buddy! and make a log why not eh :D

Soldato
Soldato
Looking good, I have pretty much the exact same RGB LED mod and it's insanely good and cheap!

What's that white plate thing on the bottom of the case?
Also, did you get my trust a few weeks ago?

Soldato
OP
Looking good, I have pretty much the exact same RGB LED mod and it's insanely good and cheap!

What's that white plate thing on the bottom of the case?
Also, did you get my trust a few weeks ago?

Ahh sorry! I totally forgot to reply, I remember getting that yep, I was busy when you sent it so I totally forgot to reply.

I can't remember where or what the name of them bottom case dust filters was called, it looked like the single bottom piece of the DemciFlex dust kit though, and im sure they was only about 5-10 pounds just for that bottom filter, but since I saw it, Iv looked for it again but can't find it my self, if I do spot one though ill let you know :)

The white plate, well, that's a piece of a4 paper :p I put it there just to stop dust coming in, but now iv replaced it with a black a4 piece of card. it stops all the dust from being sucked up in the bottom vents of the case, and since I did this, iv had a idea, going to get a A2 sized piece of black card and cover the whole of the back of the motherboard tray and my hard drives etc so everything has a smooth finish, just double sided tape it into place. it will either work or it wont, but ill post pictures up when I do it, it will be this time next week when I give it a shot.

here are some rushed pictures of the card at the bottom of the case. excuse the dust on the window needs a clean, set the led's to bright white so you can see better

IMG_5584.jpg

IMG_5585.jpg

IMG_5586.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Damnit, gutted!

The card does look clean on the bottom though, better than the grilles

How do you clean the window of dust? I don't want to use a cloth or something as I'm afraid I might get micro scratches all over it

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Most people will advise you to use water and a soft cloth, because the water lubricates the dust away and doesn't scratch it, but then I have a problem with streaks etc, so you gotta rub it harder to get rid of them, so that way didn't work for me.

Now I just use compressed air to blow off the dust, then really really gently wipe over it to pick up any of the left over dust with a blue cleaning cloth thing I got with my plasma tv, figured because its thin glass and my window is Perspex, it will do the same job haha! it works though.

I used to have to clean the window once per week, but since I blocked the grills on the bottom, not had to clean it once yet, could do with doing now tho after about a month of them blocked over

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hey guys a new update for you!

Today iv worked on putting my new Braided cables in my case and also making a nice smooth motherboard tray with a clean look, and the material I used was.... Cardboard :p

So lets begin with the pictures!

Here is my rig as it is at the moment with no power cables in.

IMG_5677.jpg

Using paper as a template for my idea

IMG_5673.jpg

IMG_5675.jpg

IMG_5678.jpg

IMG_5679.jpg

IMG_5680.jpg

Then I had to measure up where the cables will be to cut holes in the card

IMG_5683.jpg

Holes cut!

IMG_5684.jpg

The missus playing on the sims whilst im messing with my pc :p

IMG_5691.jpg

IMG_5694.jpg

IMG_5695.jpg

IMG_5698.jpg

Next few images are just some of me messing around with different colours on my LED's

IMG_5699.jpg

IMG_5700.jpg

IMG_5701.jpg

IMG_5702.jpg

IMG_5708.jpg

IMG_5710.jpg

IMG_5711.jpg

IMG_5715.jpg

IMG_5716.jpg

IMG_5724.jpg

IMG_5726.jpg

All done, im pleased with how it looks :D

Once again hope you enjoyed reading!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Awesome!

Where did you get the braided cables from? I use the RM750 and didn't think you could buy cables for it :p

From ocuk ofc! :D

You need the AXi mobo cable for it to work with a RM series and any of the corsair generation cables you fancy! well colours that is :)

as Josh linked above :) ^^

Bloody wish I had a AXi series psu tho it has blue writing on the sticker! :p they didn't release them till I already had my RM tho :( but my rm does the job infact, best psu iv ever owned so I better not complain about the colour of her sticker whilst she is doing the job nicely for me :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Brilliant. Really liking the Blue and Black theme. How long did it take to get the acrylic backplate fitted?

You mean the motherboard tray? its made out of black paper card :p I used paper as a template then bought some a2 card and cut it out the shape, reinforced it a bit on the back with double sided tape and some more card about three layers in some parts. and double sided taped it to the back of the case :)

Back
Top Bottom