4790k Idle Temps

Associate
So ive had my 4790k for just over a year and i used to be hitting idle temps of around 25-30 a few months back. Check them today and after booting the PC they are at 40 and idle at around 45. Not liking this as my idle temps as i have a H100i which was cooling them fine a few months back.

V-CORE 1.185

Soldato
When did you last clean the radiator?

You'd be surprised at the amount of dust that gets between the fans and the fins etc.

I've had a H100/H105 and both needed cleaning after a while

Soldato
Have you checked to see if there are any processes running in the background which are adding the the CPU temps?

I noticed the other day my idle temps had risen quite a bit & found a mediaplayer process using 20% CPU all the time.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The Heat-sink? No i haven't, have been needing to use my PC all day and not had time to look at it. I don't think it will need new thermal paste as its only been a year and i used the one that came on the h100i its self. Don't want to put anymore one in case it starts insulating the CPU rather than transferring heat

Soldato
Sounds like youve tried everything except reseating the CPU, its possible when knocking around in your case to move the block slightly pushing up onto some of the surrounding dried paste and causing bad contact. Its normally quite obvious as one or two of your cores will be a lot hotter than the others.

Have you updated mobo drivers recently? I read on here recently a guys CPU just started reading high temps on the package but low temps on the cores, i assume that was down to a faulty reading, maybe something a driver/bios update would fix.

Associate
OP
Here are my Temps

mKDDaoZ.png
[/IMG]

Soldato
You did clean the old stuff off first i assume?

Is the heat reaching the radiator ok? Does it feel warm after extended use? If not i would probably check the water lvl first to make sure theres not a very slow leak, then maybe give it a bit of a tap and a shake to make sure an air bubble hasnt come loose from somewhere and maybe got trapped in the block, not sue if its possible in AOI coolers but it can happen quite easily in custom loops so its worth checking i guess.

Associate
OP
Yeah but no change

I believe it is, i will give the water pipes a tap and run the pc on its side for a bit later to get rid of air bubbles. If not i'm going to decrease my V-Core as i have no overclock. even though it is quite low anyway

Soldato
What are your load temps? Theyre the important ones, it might just be a case of some background program that keeps your CPU ticking away rather than problems with the cooling.

Back
Top Bottom