Fan Controller Advice

Associate
I got 2 akasa amber fans, front and back, zalman gpu and a zalman cpu cooler.

I want a simple but good (and good looking, with my piano black and silver case (got an antec sonata with a door which it must fit behind ie knobs not too far out))

I dont have any case lights, and dont really mind much noise during the day but i leave my pc on most nights and sleep in same room.

Wouldnt mind a display not that important but want lots of wire length to make it tidy.

Cheers

Associate
OP
you know the things you get with the zalman gpu cooler, the 4pin molex to the 3 pin, BUT it has 4 3 pin connections, 2 x 12v and 2 x 5v. All i really need is another one of these or a way to make my 1 fan which is running on 12v to 5v.

zalman CPU cooler on the supplied fanmate which i run on its lowest setting
zalman GPU cooler on the supplied 5v cable ot the 4pin molex
Front 120mm case fan on the supplied 5v cable ot the 4pin molex
Rear 120mm case fan on the normal 12v molex connection

Its the last one i have a problem with as its all really really quiet when its not connected.

Soldato
I'd also recommend the Vantec Nexus range.

The knobs stuck out a bit too much for the door on my case but i overcame this by mounting it slightly further into the case and it doesn't look any different. However, the door on my case has lots of bits sticking out of it (one of those cheap £20 cases :p) which got in the way of the knobs so your case may be a bit different.

My fan controller (NXP-201) came with lots of wires/cables and was very easy to set up, i'm sure the rest of the Vantec range will be very similar.

EDIT: i type really slow :(

modify the molex connection on the fan to the desired voltage:

12v:
attachment.php

7v:
attachment.php

5v:
attachment.php

Last edited:
Associate
OP
how do you actually move the cables from pin to pin, or i presume you move the actual pin, anyone done this and can give advice?

Soldato
You need a molex connector tool to do the job properly. This lets you slip the soldered connector out of the plastic cover and slide it into another hole in the plastic cover.

It is very safe as long as you leave the black wire alone as the Red wire carries 12v and the yellow one carries 5v. The fan is rated at 12v so you cannot damage it by undervolting it.

You could theoretically **** it up if you connect the black wire up wrongly in the 7v mod, but if the follow the pictures above it's totally safe.

Associate
OP
Im not getting a tool to do sommit that i could buying the cable instead. or a fan controller which would do the job too.

Soldato
It costs about £3 and you can do all your fans. It'll also come in handy if you ever want to sleeve your PSU. [Edit - just noticed the Hiper, If you want to change the sleeve colour on your PSU]

Or maybe you could borrow one?

Associate
OP
so i push the lins down into the connector and it pops out?

then i switch them to the setup for the wanted voltage???

Soldato
The pins are like little arrowheads. They push in from the wire side of the plug obviously so you'll need to push something thin in from the opposite end to fold the barbs in towards the body of the pin.

But there are two barbs so you'll need to push them both in together. A suitably sized drinking straw works perfectly as it slips over both barbs at the same time and you can pull the wire out.

Back
Top Bottom