New PC help!

Associate
Hay guyz, I've just brought some bits for a new pc, and want to overclock the psu to 3ghz.
I've reed the sticky, but dont reall understand where to start. I set the FSB bus frequency to 300 but the pc wouldnt load. It just sat at a black screen.
Cleared the bios and it was ok again, any ideas why the screen was black? I didnt overclock my video card i dont think...
Thaqnks for any advice people hgave, really hope my graphics card is ok...

<My system is...
AMD 3800 dual core (the boxed one, with cooler)
2gb ram
DFI Ultra
Casecom KL-9980 ATX Middle Tower with 350w PSU
X1900XT
Keyboard and mouse
2.1 creative speakers
15 inch old CRT (from my Dad)

You would need very good cooling to get the cpu to 3ghz. You will never get it to 3ghz with stock cooling and a 350W psu. I'm surpised that the system runs with a cheap 350W psu and a X1900XT and dual core. :eek:

Did you just change the fsb to 300 without changing any other settings? Doing this can damage components.
I would suggest getting a better psu before you start overclocking. If this blows up then your components could be permentaly damaged.

I cant afford another power supply, my dad has an old 350w tecQ he said i can have, will this be any better?
My friend frank said the 350w supply would be fine for the system.. he runs something a bit like my one on a 380w and its ok.
What speed to do you think i can get from what i have at the moment? I'll try putting more volt through the PSU and see if i can overclock it a bit more high.
I read somewhere about memory divisers, would them help me overclock the CPU at all? I dont really understand what they do tho.

Don't overclock with that PSU.
Don't just jump into the bios and throw the timings up, you need to understand overclocking before you damage some components.

You need to be increasing the FSB by small increments and testing for stability, you'll also need to set loose memory timings.

Ant :cool:

WantoN said:
Don't overclock with that PSU.
Don't just jump into the bios and throw the timings up, you need to understand overclocking before you damage some components.

You need to be increasing the FSB by small increments and testing for stability, you'll also need to set loose memory timings.

Ok I will try increasing things a litlte bit at a time. Do i need to check its its stable and not going to break on me? Or if it makes it to windows everyitnh is ok?
Also i want to try and play with raid whats the best one to use with only 1 hard disc? Can i use raid1?

You should run something like prime95 to test for stability. Loosen the memory timings and slowly increase the FSB.

Frankly I really would leave it alone until you get a new PSU. And no, don't put the Qtec in, they are the devil's work.

Ask yourself why you're bothering to overclock at all, you seem the sort of user who'd be better spending more time reading up, and less time convincing yourself of what you need.

WantoN said:
You should run something like prime95 to test for stability. Loosen the memory timings and slowly increase the FSB.

Frankly I really would leave it alone until you get a new PSU. And no, don't put the Qtec in, they are the devil's work.

Ask yourself why you're bothering to overclock at all, you seem the sort of user who'd be better spending more time reading up, and less time convincing yourself of what you need.

Coz i want a faster PC! Its like free performance, and it doesnt seem that hard raelly.. just increase the numbers in the bios and tthings go faster. I found thar prime thingy, going to give it a try now. mite be gettins somewhere with the whole overclockging thang too PSU is a bit faasster than it was before. Might be getting the hang of it.
Anyway i have spent the afternoon reading up on overclocking with a bit of help for you guyz i recon i could go pro! The fastest score on the futuremark thing is a X1900 too!!!!!

YES! Made it to 29ghz!
AMD.JPG

Only thingg now iz that the PC keeps going off and funny pitcures come up on screen. Might be kicking the piower button or something maybe. Heopfulyl 3ghz isnt too far off!

This has to be a mick-take then...

Anyway, just in case, I think you mean the CPU is faster. But the strange goings on mean that the system is unstable at that clock.

WantoN said:

Anyway, just in case, I think you mean the CPU is faster. But the strange goings on mean that the system is unstable at that clock.

Ok fanks i will drop the fsb a but and see what happens then
fanks for the help m8

WantoN said:

Or it's frying itself... 1.52v isn't good on anything but high end water/phase! :eek:

How long have you had this system? It looks pretty decent, and it should be running pretty damn fast at stock!

If i were you... i'd hold your guns for a bit. Use your PC without overclocking it, if you're overclocking first time on a system like that straight off.. it wouldnt be too good if it gets damaged. You said that its crashing etc, its because its not very stable at 2.9Ghz.

I presume you have a stock cooler aswell? If you really do want to overclock, get a 3rd party cooler to get the temps down and the clocks up! Btw, what temps are you getting? thats another thing to keep an eye on at those volts.

And as for the PSU, even if you do overclock, that will probably limit performance anyway, so best to save up for a Cooler and PSU, and read up on overclocking a bit more then give it another blast! :cool:

benjo said:
How long have you had this system? It looks pretty decent, and it should be running pretty damn fast at stock!

If i were you... i'd hold your guns for a bit. Use your PC without overclocking it, if you're overclocking first time on a system like that straight off.. it wouldnt be too good if it gets damaged. You said that its crashing etc, its because its not very stable at 2.9Ghz.

I presume you have a stock cooler aswell? If you really do want to overclock, get a 3rd party cooler to get the temps down and the clocks up! Btw, what temps are you getting? thats another thing to keep an eye on at those volts.

And as for the PSU, even if you do overclock, that will probably limit performance anyway, so best to save up for a Cooler and PSU, and read up on overclocking a bit more then give it another blast! :cool:

its pritty new, got it a week or so ago. I had dropped the CPU speed back down for now, wondows doesnt load anymore and i fink its corrupted or sumit bad.
Its the cooler what came with the CPU if thats whay you mean? Finking about getting a freezer cooler for it, they seem to help loads with overclocks and i want this system to be tha best!
People keep saying that this SPU isnt very good, what do you fink i should get? Hav about 30 quid, have foud some 600w supplies that would ok? If it iz i will order one tomorrow and hopefully overclock to 3hgz or more!

Seriously mate, don't put the CPU voltage up that high without some really good cooling in place and make sure you monitor the temps at all times when testing so you can cancel the tests if it goes about 50C or you risk killing the chip :(

Ignorance is bliss :) And expensive... I remember when I managed to burn the memory controller on my brothers motherboard trying to over click his old amd with my corsair twinx 4400 ram... apparently his motherboard didnt support anything over 3200... was even told not to do it.. I did, I learnt the hard way! However I seem to be pretty good at getting a reasonable increase in speed with my computers now and 100% stability... Takes time and a lot of patience, took me about a weeks worth of playing to get my P4 2.6 to run smoothly at 3.4...

After that i decided that it wasnt worth shortening the life of the computer that much just to get a small performance increase. Overclock in increments and you will notice the difference a lot more. My computer at home happily sits at 3.2 ghz and laughs all day long.

OC_A64 said:
its pritty new, got it a week or so ago. I had dropped the CPU speed back down for now, wondows doesnt load anymore and i fink its corrupted or sumit bad.
Its the cooler what came with the CPU if thats whay you mean? Finking about getting a freezer cooler for it, they seem to help loads with overclocks and i want this system to be tha best!
People keep saying that this SPU isnt very good, what do you fink i should get? Hav about 30 quid, have foud some 600w supplies that would ok? If it iz i will order one tomorrow and hopefully overclock to 3hgz or more!

Hey, yeh the Artic Freezer Pro is one of the best coolers, and would work really well. As for the PSU, if your looking to spend £30 on a 600w... dont. Save your money and buy a decent one for a bit more. If you did get a 600w for £30 its most probably going to be the same performance and reliability as that qtec you have there.

benjo said:
Hey, yeh the Artic Freezer Pro is one of the best coolers, and would work really well. As for the PSU, if your looking to spend £30 on a 600w... dont. Save your money and buy a decent one for a bit more. If you did get a 600w for £30 its most probably going to be the same performance and reliability as that qtec you have there.

Ok, would that give me as gooder temps as say a Promethia mach2 GT do you recon?
Ok i'll save up for a better SPU, what sort of prixe could i get a good one for? and what do i need to look fro to say its a good one?

Back
Top Bottom