• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DX10 may be coming to AGP

Soldato
Taken from a site i cant link to because of adverts:

Rumours are generaly not officialy confirmed, but this one claiming that there will be a DirectX 10 compatible AGP graphics card soon makes sense.

The Inquier website reports that Nvidia will release a DirectX 10 version of its current AGP GeFOrce 7600GX graphics card.

Codenamed G84 AGP, the new chip is claimed to be available next April at a price tag of around €100.

Such a chip could be an interesting choice for all those who need to upgrade their AGP graphics, while it allows NVIDIA to take advantage of the wide adoption of AGP systems among mainstream PC users.

Man of Honour
Well the transisition from AGP to PCI-E happened a lot quicker than it should have done, AGP still had a lot of life in it and still does to be honest, so theres no real reason to kill it off completely

And the majority of PC users are still on AGP anyway

Associate
PCI-E has yet to demonstrate performance better than AGP, AGP is still viable and copmetative in terms of performance. with many rigs still running AGP, there is a large customer base out there, me being one!

Soldato
yea agp is still strong, old athlon xp machines can still pull their weight in most newer stuff. the gpu is still the limiting factor.

if the 8600 agp is priced the same as a x1950pro agp but offeres the same performance or better then i will get a couple for the agp machines i have.

Man of Honour
LoadsaMoney said:
Neither do i, i bet you could get an 8800 GTS 640mb in PCI-E PLUS a PCI-E motherboard to go with it for less than the price of this card. :D

Maybe, but given the fact that people on AGP are often running older socket cpus, and DDR memory, their choices of mobo will be pretty limited.

What good PCI-E mobos are there still available which support S754 or S478 cpus for example? Are they fully featured with good overclocking capability?

Soldato
LoadsaMoney said:
Neither do i, i bet you could get an 8800 GTS 640mb in PCI-E PLUS a PCI-E motherboard to go with it for less than the price of this card. :D

Well 100 Euros is about £70. Not sure where you're seeing these GTSes.

Easyrider said:
I just dont see the point.

What a useful post. :rolleyes: Not everyone has the money for a new CPU, new board, maybe even new RAM, new PSU, etc.

It's not as simple as a CPU and board for some users.

Soldato
Tute said:
Well 100 Euros is about £70. Not sure where you're seeing these GTSes.

What a useful post. :rolleyes: Not everyone has the money for a new CPU, new board, maybe even new RAM, new PSU, etc.

It's not as simple as a CPU and board for some users.

thats true, it would take me about 6 months to get enough money for a new M/B, CPU, RAM. i just bought a new 600W psu for £10, its enough for me, nothing fancy and its quiet.

i have an AMD 3000+ on a Gigabyte NF4 M/B with 1GB DDR RAM and vista, will last me for a year then ill probably get a Core 2 Quadro, just dont upgrade unless you need to and when you do, dont buy something coz it costs a lot and looks good

Caporegime
Right,

enough of this nonsense,

A AGP DX 10 will be more than a PCI-e counterpart.

So get a new mobo and pci-e card and save money.

But of course AGP owners are just lazy cause they can't be arsed to reinstall windows.

Thats the bottom line.

You can change your mobo and GFX card and keep everything else and yet the only reason why people dont want to is they are to lazy to reinstall windows.

Fact.

Pci-e mobos and gfx are cheaper than AGP cards out right.

So its cheaper to get a pci-e card and mobo than it is to buy a AGP top end Card.

So AGP owners......

shame on you for being lazy.

when in fact you can keep your chip,change the mobo and have a cheaper gfx for less money than buying a dx10 AGP card outright.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Surely the slower cpu's on older skt motherboards will throttle the latest cards? I can see why folk would want a faster card in attempt to keep there aged system up to date but there comes a point where you have to concede it is becoming less and less finincially viable.

Caporegime
I'm sure there's people out there with A64 X2 S939 setups and a couple of gigs od DDR RAM on AGP boards, a simple upgrade to DX10 would suit them well.

Not everyone knows how to fit a whole new CPU/Mobo/RAM combo aswell.

Soldato
The ONLY way this is a slightly viable alternative is for people that have AGP Athlon 64 boards (like I did). But you can get a new motherboard for an A64 for basically nothing now (30 - 40 pounds).

If you stay on AGP, you are basically now reduced to being Oliver Twist, standing in line for Nvidia and ATI to give you whatever they want and paying more for it and then saying the famous "please sir, can I have more value for money"

They reply "course not sonny!" and pat your head.

If you have an old Athlon XP, the only thing that could be worth it is the 8600 low end. But truthfully an X1950 is probably to much for these systems anyway. It is a difficult thing being in that position really.

I am happy I got the money together to go Conroe + PCI-E. It is a nice feeling to be able to have more freedom with buying GPU;s, even if I did have to use a 6200 Tubo Cache for 2 weeks while waiting for the card I wanted to come out.

Soldato
Not a question of being lazy really. Some people have a lot of stuff on their old AGP systems, it would take them a whole day to setup a new install. Also some people (most PC owners infact) wouldnt have a clue how to replace a motherboard and install windows, these PCworld/Dell shoppers would snap AGP DX10 cards to add a little life to their old P4 3ghz.

End of the day, a 3ghz P4 or XP3200 with a decent AGP card (7800GS,XT1950) would still play games better than a brand new Core2D with 7300LE like those same people might buy new on the highstreet.

Caporegime
Minstadave said:
I'm sure there's people out there with A64 X2 S939 setups and a couple of gigs od DDR RAM on AGP boards, a simple upgrade to DX10 would suit them well.

Not everyone knows how to fit a whole new CPU/Mobo/RAM combo aswell.

we all know that a S939 pcie mobo can be had for less money than a top end AGP card.

Thing is:

keep your s939 chip
keep your DDR ram

and change your mobo and GFX.

not only can you do this,but you can actually save money into the bargain.

Soldato
easyrider said:
we all know that a S939 pcie mobo can be had for less money than a top end AGP card.

Thing is:

keep your s939 chip
keep your DDR ram

and change your mobo and GFX.

not only can you do this,but you can actually save money into the bargain.

I agree with you it is the better option, but what about people that can barely install a graphics card ;)

For us (people that know how to do it) it is a far better option, for the average joe on the street they will probably blow their PC up by forgetting to plug in something. Like the CPU fan ;)

Back
Top Bottom