OBLIVION - MooSe's Essential Links/mods & Tips

Associate
OBLIVION - MooSe's Essential Links/Mods & Tips (in progress)

There's recently been an influx of first time oblivion players asking for advice.
i was one of them this xmas gone. since i've become hugely addicted to the game and devour its lore, gameplay and community.
i thought i'd write up this post to include essential information and tips that i have personnaly found, employed and recommend.
enjoy ;)

PLEASE USE THE LINKS PROVIDED TO FIND THE ANSWERS TO YOUR PROBLEMS. THIS THREAD IS TO HIGHLIGHT INFORMATION AND MODS ETC TO ENHANCE YOUR GAME. IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM MAKE A DEDICATED POST RATHER THAN CLUTTER THIS ONE.

THIS TOPIC IS CONTINUED AT REPLY # 20
*updated* MOD content now started
*updated* more MOD content 17/03/07
*updated* character creation and levelling 18/03/07
*updated* a bit on performance issues 21/03/07
*updated* Omods, patch 1.2 link and techFAQ link added 23/03/7
*updated* Armour pics and link added 24/03/07
*PATCH 1.2 NOW RELEASED*
go here - Official TES IV site patch 1.2
(thanks to Edgecrusher for that news and Neil79 for the release notes)
SHIVERING ISLES NOW ON SALE
*post 80 has some S.I bug fix links*
*updated* Character templates post 107
*updated* PATCH 1.2.0416 NOW AVAILABLE 01/05/07
*Update* MODS and LINKS update @ Post 169

OBLIVION - ESSENTIAL THINGS TO START WITH

firstly read this - TWEAKGUIDE
i've used this chaps site since bf1942. it is a comprehensive guide to your hardware, setting up the game, graphic options, .ini folder tweaks and console commands.
read it then read it again. you will find the solution to almost every problem oblivion has.... and there are many!
(there are also a number of links within his site so i'll refer them back to this link)

The Elder Scrolls official site - TES official
download the official patch from here. make sure you use the UK version.
also where you download payable plugins which i'll mention later.
the TES IV forums are also a hotbed of info for pc and xboxers alike. they move extremely rapidly and you shold get answers to questions in minutes.

Oblivion UESP WIKI - WIKI
possibly the greatest and most informative source of information available.
the entire game, its lore, gameplay and mechanics are here. this is an essential read before you choose your character and attributes/skills etc.
the contents appear a bit sparse but don't worry. each page leads you to deeper info so delve deep!

Construction Set - available from the official TES site linked above.
enables you to simply change weapon/armour/item stats etc to creating and employing your own enchants etc. it is a tool and as good as you are. from the wiki site above you will find guides on it and links to tutorials.
the best use i have found is modding mods. i am a self confessed armour whore... however most armour mods are for heavy armour sets. with CS i can change them to light and alter weight and armour values accordingly. also if you've ever got dissallusioned by the enchanting limitations use CS to create your own.
eg; i have a favorite armour set and sword. (medieval looking ones opposed to fantasy) i have applied multiple enchants and inserted the items into game locations. essentially i have to quest for them but get what i want. cheating? it depends on you. my items are tested to ensure they are not overpowered and i have roleplayed a scenario to retrive them. my sword i incorparted into the Knights of the Nine pilgrimage quest to have it blessed.
so construction set is a powerful tool at your disposal to use how you will.

Oblivion Mod Manager - OMM
utterly essential if you employ a lot of mods. use it to set load sequence priority to avoid conflicts or troubleshoot conflicts.
remember oblivion.esm goes at the top (first to load) and mods load on top. set minor mods early and big game changing mods last.
official pluggins should be last to load especially KotN. (more info in "plugins")
*note* the load order appears back to front. first to load is at the TOP of the screen. last to load goes at the BOTTOM. you can physically move them and activate/de-activate.
*EDIT*
De-Activating mods containing texture/mesh packs can cause graphical corruptions/annonylmies etc. (the plugin is de-activated but the texture/mesh remains active in folder). by using Omods (for Oblivion Mod Manager_) de-activating a mod does not cause this issue. go here for full info -
OMM info
Thanks to YouEntsinROYT for that info. any queeries ask him as he has converted his mods to this format and gave me the heads up :)

Official Plugins - Available from the TES official site.
*note* I have all pluggins except "spell Tomes"
include;
Knights of the Nine - gallant knightly quest. nets you some stunning armour (imo) but with questionable enchants. for chivalrous types not assasains!
*note* this plugin is buggy as hell. ensure it is LAST to load. once rolling it should be ok. i found the prophet missing to start. i did notice some old robed guy getting the smack on route to anvil..... a conflicting mod i'll mention later!

Mehrunes Razor - large dungeon delving quest for a daedric artifact. lots of combat and loot. Highly recommended.

The Orrery - you have to help to fix the mages guild solar system machine. not got but reported to be spectacular to watch when it fires up.

Frostcragg Spire - inherit a cracking tower in the mountains. you get your own spell and anchanting alters + an atronarch familiar alter (have a frost atronarch follow you). applicants to mages guild need not apply. however there is a catch..... you need to cough up for the gear to furnish and fire up the alters. about 14k. pricey for early levels.
*note* there are glitches with atronarch familiars getting stuck or going missing. personnally i give em a miss and just conjure up a dremora lord when needed. that madman is better than any atronarch familar by far!

Thieves Den - learn the location of a lost pirate ship and crew. battle them then reap the profits. once furnished (costly) you get your very own criminal syndicate and pirates. get the pirates to plunder and receive a share of the loot in cash. a steady earner.(good for thiefy types. i send my pirates out each week to keep the coffers topped up)

Vile Lair - for very bad people. not used it as my character has gone all godlike and knightly. however.... cure for vampirism without needing to do stupid vampire cure quest. worth it alone for that nugget.

Horse Armour - armour for dobbin. looks good but glitches up a lot of things. ruins shadowmere (removes his aggression and turns him into a pit pony). however. if horses are only transport to you, it protects them and is the basis for a couple of cool mods i'll mention later. i have de-activated it as it causes more problems than wothwhile for the eye candy.

Spell Tomes - find spells within loot. pointless if you like brewing your own but some are custom spells you cannot make yourself. (i don't have this one)

All the plugins are dirt cheap (couple of quid) and download fast. they are easy enough to install and backup so i think they are thoroughly worthwhile.
just don't buy the KotN retail pack in shops ok. it costs double the downloads.

ESSENTIAL GRAPHICS PACKS

lets be brutally honest here. vanilla oblivion has rubbish graphics..... in context to what it can look like.
heres what you can do about it.

look here for comparisons of how oblivion can look - make it pretty

as you can see the vanilla textures pale into comparison with some of the texture replacers. what you use is dictated by your own hardware set up.
if you have the best use Qarl's texture pack III - QTP3
this one is new so see the forum for feedback on it. Qarl's are always the most detailed to look at but costly in terms of performance. do specalist searchs to research this one.
i use the following;

Landscape LOD Replacement link
Landscape LOD texture replacer - Borders link
Normal Map LOD replacement link
Better Grass Without Tiling link

these are the mods recommended within the tweakguides site and can be seen in the make it pretty site.
combined they do not massively impact performance and greatly enhance vanilla visuals. my own screenies highlight the need . i won't include before and after shots as the make it pretty site does it for you.

OBLIVION MODS

Mods are what turn oblivion from a great game into a fantastic game. firstly you need to know where to get mods from.
virtually every mod for oblivion (and morrowind) is held here;
http://www.tesnexus.com/
The ElderScrolls Source. it has a database of thousands of mods. navigating is a bit tricky. you ideally need to know the name of the mod to do a search for it. otherwise you need to guess the category and trawl through potentially hundreds of mods. downloads are in a compressed form and fast.

alternately i use - PLANET ELDER SCROLLS MODS
This site is easier to navigate but does'nt contain as many mods as TESS. when you download a mod you'll either be linked to TESS or fileplanet.
The last site i use is - ATOMIC MODBLIVION
This site gives you an intro on how to use mods and contains the most popular mods so its a pretty good place to get your main ones from.

here's a link from another forum quoting lots of the most popular Oblivion mods popular 2007/2006 mods
Thanks Neil79 for the linky

Once you have downloaded your chosen mods you'll have to extract them to your oblivion folder. i use the following order for backup and database purposes.
download mod to desktop.
create folder with mod title
move folder to my data hard drive with a dedicated oblivion mods folder
move folder into sub category folder
extract into folder (the mod titled folder)
read the "readme" for installation and conflicts etc.
depending on mod type i either just copy and paste the mod.esp into oblivion data folder or if the mod contains many texture and mesh folders i'll extract again to oblivion data.
open mod manager and set new mod load sequence and activate.
play and be impressed!

ESSENTIAL MODS

I will list these by load order i use and amount of impact/gamechange they impart.
All of the mods listed are mods i currently use or have used. i will give ratings according to my own humble opinion and any conflicts etc.

OSCURO'S OBLIVION OVERHAUL

OOO read me

This mod is probably the most well known and most dramatic in terms of gamechange. it seeks to address the levelling system and addresses issues to make Cyrodil more believable and realistic to the adventurer. do not download it until you have read the read me.
Against advice i used this mod for my first ever character. it is very hard to start off and unforgiving. you will start as a puny, weakling skint convict and everybody will be able to give you a good kicking. i persevered to lvl 4 (the levels are about 4 times slower than vanilla) before i gave up.
It is a mod to play once you have completed vanilla and what to nurture a character for a long time and reap the rewards and challenges.
It is extremely well executed and very satisfying to play.
download version 1.3 and patch 1.31 here - OOO dwnload
There are tons of posts about OOO so if you want to try it have a look around.

Natural Enviroments

This is a stunner! it creates seasonal effects for vegetation and weather. in summer climates the landscape is incredibly lush and vibrant, in winter its washed out. combined with a good LOD texture mod it utterly changes Oblivion into a masterpiece. It is stunning! you also get more birdies and insects etc and better effects for water and weather. i load this mod near last as it has a good few changes. i have suffeed no conflicts with it.
Natural Enviroments

Mart's Monster Mod

MMM gives huge changes. it adds an enormous varity of new creatures and npc's to the game. a trip into the wilderness will be genuinely life threatening. there are more bandit and marauder varities, more undead creatures, different goblin factions and loads of other monsters. there are also new addition to the daedra. just riding along a road will give you instant awareness to this mod. the funny thing is the new npc types belong to factions and you can witness some huge dust ups.
this mod can cause quest issues though. on the daedric quest for Hircine i had to find and kill the unicorn. i snuck up to its minotaur protected home and discovered a mass battle between some MMM bandits and the minotaurs. the bandits won and then killed the unicorn :mad: not a quest breaker but sad as i wanted to ride it. i have also had mages guild meetings ruined by creatures killing quest critical contacts. its sometimes a pain but just remember to keep saving in case an issue does arrive.
oh. the Ayleid ruins are now very scary and its hilarious to watch an imperial guard laying into a goblin clan. a fantastic mod with monsterous monster content.
get MMM here
MMM 1.2 compatibility available here (post 5 of) http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=675759

Combat Behaviour

Changes the way in which adversaries fight. basically everyone is tougher in a scrap, they block better and more and generally try to kill you in more ways. its a challenge but fun. if you are rock hard then its humorous to watch bandits flee from you in fear. have'nt found any conflicts.
CB link

No Pyschic Guards

All it does is reduce the distance guards can hear your victim screaming from.
thats it?? its good that if there are no guards around you can take your time hacking someone up but it is not a magic guard deflector. if they hear screaming they come. no conflicts found and essential for Dark Brotherhood types.
NPG link

Attack and Hide

Reduces the enemies annoying auto aqquire after a stealth attack. if you remain stealthed and hidden they won't see you but will search. adds a spot of realism and removes the vanilla infa red seeking hunter killer npc's. essential for stealthy types and no conflicts reported.
A & H link

Crowded Cities, Street Gangs & Life

3 separate mods but they all do the same thing - add more npc's to the cities populace. with all 3 loaded cities are actually reall busy and vibrant. there are day and night populace lists. all the new people have generic names like "adventurer" or "farmer" etc but they are interactive and have rumours. street gangs adds highwaymen and vampires into the night populace so you might get mugged. in fact getting mugged cracks me up. there you are - The hero of Kvatch, Lord Crusader, Head of every guild, dripping in enchanted armour and weapons whilst reeking of destructive spell charge..... and a mangy moggy Khajitt highway man sticks you up. when you refuse to hand over cash its just an exercise in beating him to death before the guards get to him.
the vampires are entertaining too. try not to kill them, just block until the guard arrive. if you are lucky up to 10 guards lay into the vampire with everything they have. sit back and laugh loudly then loot his broken body!
Life mod adds yet more characters and of different heights which is nice. little imperial women, diddy orcs huuuge orcs and nords etc.
these mods may impact performance depending on your cpu. i run a X2 4400 @ 2.66 and don't notice problems so a C2D would breeze it.
no conflicts reported.
Life link
Crowded Ciities link
Street gangs

GAME FIXES, ADDITIONS and TWEAK MODS

Guild Suspension Fix

fixes an annoying bug. if you are a member a guild(s) and purchase a horse the horse also becomes a guild member(???). If inadvertantly during a roadside bandit battle you spam your hoss with a spell or smack it one you get a guild suspension message for stealing from guild members. Its bloody annoying and unless you have saved game recently you have to go on errands to collect stuff eg 20 bear pelts for the fighters club. by loading this mod stealing from guild members is no longer a crime so you can't get suspended due to the horse glitch. of course you can now rob your fellow members blind but thats immoral.
its a fix for a bad bug and a relief if you have suffered from the horse/suspension glitch.
guild suspension fix link

Call Steed + Saddlebags

Not a fix per se but a good spell addition. from edgars discount spells you can buy 2 new spells. one to call your horse like a dog and one to summon him thin air. very very useful. NOTE does not work with horse armour mods and shadowmere does'nt respond cos she's a stubborn mule.
The saddlebags enables your horse as a container. in stealth mode you simply select the horse and he acts like any normal chest. fill 'im up full of dungeon loot and head to the shops...... but he gets slower the more loaded. really useful though and works with horsey armour.
CS+SB link

Bag of Holding

A cheat? gives you a magic bag. its contents are weightless and infinite! so.......... get dungeon delving and fill up that bag without needing any pesky feather spells.
yeah i s'pose it is cheating but i got fed up making huge armour piles by dungeon doors and trapsing back and forth to market.
i do try and not cheat too much by only putting loot in. not my own gear, hence i am still encumbered by my inventory except loot.
no conflicts.
bag of holding link

Erics Quad damage for Archers

if you are English or welsh you may have an affinity and fondness for bows due to your ancestors exploits in france!!
imagine then in oblivion, upon stringing a bow you find it takes upwards of 10 arrows to kill sometimes!!
A WarBow should kill an armoured knight at 200 yards. this mod addresses this issue by simply providing double-triple or quad damage multipliers. once your marksman skill and bow quality increase though its a good idea to reduce it. Conflicts with Marts Monster Mod (MMM read me tells you what other mods to use instead)
Quad arrow damage

Arcane Velocity

fed up of watching your spell shoot off at the speed of a paper aeroplane? laugh in the face of necromancers as you sidestep their spells?
then this is for you. this mod gives several speed options from still slow to oh my god where did that fireball come from! renders bows obsolete at high destructive levels as you can fire off spells without having to lead 3 days into the future! no conflicts found.

Arcane velocity link

Lighter Weapons

ever wondered why elven weapons weigh more than iron?
no i did'nt either. this mod lightens all weapons - expressly elven and mithril and arrows. it's just to add a bit more realism and even the penalty for better weaponry etc. no conflicts.
Lighter Weapons

weapon durability

simply increases the durability of weapons and armour as the vanilla stuff wears out as if it were made of chalk. no point if you have armourer as a skill and use it to level. otherwise its handy. no conflicts
Weapon Durability link

faster mercantile Levelling

mercantile is the slowest skill to level in oblivion. if you are a thief or just want better money for your loot this helps speed up your mercantile skill.
FML

Double Barter Money

npc merchants are tightfisted and you'll only ever get 1200 sceptims for that 5k daedric claymore you fought so hard for!
this doubles their barter maximum so at higher levels it is still worthwhile looting all armour pieces rather than just say, gauntlets.
DBM link

Key Chain

adds a key chain to your inventory to reduce cluttering. very good.
keychain

Buy Lockpicks

lockpicks are hard to aqquire. thieves guildmasters, bandits and goblins etc. this lets certain merchants/npc's sell them which is very handy for light fingered people!
BLP link

Open Cities

I love this mod. it removes city gates (exept imperial city) so you can ride straight in. gives a really good immersive feeling. also makes cities a bit more entertaining as you'll now find horses dotted around and lord knows.... even trolls or wolves might stray in!
warning!! it does have bugs. Anvil gate is glitched and it can cause some strange graphic corruptions. also fps wil decrease or stutter will increase
(cities are not loaded now so run like wilderness performance).
this is a mod i activate or deactivate depending on glitch circumstances.
open cities

Arena Loot

enables you to disregard arena ettiquette and loot the vanquished combatant! gives you an advantage at low levels as you can obtain weaponry not encountered at your level.
good for making money too by flogging looted gear.
arena loot

Arena Spectators

Puts npc bums on seats in the arena. makes you feel more popular!
slows down performance though so test it.
AS
or use the lite version
AS for puny rigs

Reznod Mannequinns

Enables you to buy "armour dummies". you place them in a room, enter their inventory and dress it in chosen armour and weapons then pose it.
essential if you have a large house and want to display all your trophy armour.
mannequinns

Kickbans House of Wonders

you can buy display cases to put in your house. bloomin marvellous!
i love displaying stuff so this is a great mod.
carefull though. you could spent hours arranging your house with display cases and armour dummies.
also comes with ayleid lanterns which give a nice lighting effect.
display cases link

i still have lots more minor mods im unsure whether to list and a load of armour/weapon mods.
if anyone wants to see these mods listed just shout.

If you think i've missed out a really good mod or fix it's because I don't use it. Feel free to post your own mod recommendations and i'll put a link into this list and accredit to you.

i've run out of character space allocation for this post so i've carried on @ reply # 20.

"I saw a mudcrab today" :D

Last edited:
Permabanned
very informative although the title is a bit misleading, i was hoping for some mods you personal think enhance the game (Francesco's, No Psychic Guards but a bigger list).

Still handy though, im hoping obmm will get rid of the problem where some people are giant yellow exclamation marks

Associate
nice post, i got oblivion upon release and got bored quickly. just got a 8800 so i might reload it and have another bash and your info should be very handy indeed.

PS: would no Psychic Guards be a big mod, so it would need to be at the end of the load sequence?

Associate
Phalanx said:
very informative although the title is a bit misleading, i was hoping for some mods you personal think enhance the game (Francesco's, No Psychic Guards but a bigger list).

Still handy though, im hoping obmm will get rid of the problem where some people are giant yellow exclamation marks

^^ i had that for a while when i installed the OOO mod, and for the life of me i couldnt figure out what was going wrong, i guess it must have been conflicting mods or something, very strange!

Soldato
Nice post, with good links (one thing with mods is to be sure the link is to the latest version though)

coupla questions though:

1. have you personally installed and played with Quarls texture pack III ??
(i asked this in a previous thread)

2. Also all those official mods for £2 ; have you got them? (im assuming yes thats why you are recommending them)

but yeah i agree we need a good Oblivion Sticky :)

Soldato
Excellent thread btw :)

I have it too (Qarl-III), and its raping my system badly FPS have dropped even with AA and AF turned off. Things stutter quite a bit! Does anyone know how to remove the pack?

Associate
OP
Neil79 said:

thx Neil, that would save me a lot of time :D
im quite happy though to describe the mods based on my own experience. im hoping others though will post their favourite site links so i can linky them in the relevant section to get a really good database for OcUK Oblivion newcomers.
shall link this one in for you.

Associate
Phalanx said:

The Bear said:
^^ i had that for a while when i installed the OOO mod, and for the life of me i couldnt figure out what was going wrong, i guess it must have been conflicting mods or something, very strange!

Yep, I had this as well. Turned out I had only installed the 1.3.1 patch and not the original OOO 1.3 as well so some of the textures and objects were missing. Some of the Oblivion websites don't make this clear.

Remove an OOO you have, download this:

OOO 1.3 (413MB :eek: )

Then the patch:

OOO 1.3.1 Patch (only 20MB :p )

Install both and you should be OK.

Also, in Oblivion Mod Manager, have OOO load second from last, with Unofficial Oblivion Patch last.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i appear to have run out of character space in the main post so i'll have to carry on here :)

Load Order

just for interest i've listed my mod load order from oblivion mod manager.
i'll bracket which are not activated or conflict.

OBLIVION (first to load)
UNOFFICIAL OBLIVION PATCH (link below)
ARCANE VELOCITY
APPRENTICE BALANCE (fixes birthsign 100% weakness)
NO MORE ANNOYING MESSAGES (you might want this)
MAGIKA FORTIFICATION (doubles magika)
BADDER SHOCK FX (makes shock spells visually better)
BADDER FROST FX
BADDER FIRE FX
ENCHANTING FREEDOM (allows more spell effects for enchanting)
BUY LOCKPICKS
SEASONAL WEATHER *de_activated - superceded by natural enviroments*
MORE ARENA SPECTATORS
GOLDEN ARROW SHOP (archery shop addition)
KICKBANS HOUSE OF WONDERS
FASTER MERCANTILE LEVELLING
VENDOR ALL ARMOUR AND WEAPONS (removes level restriction from shops)
DB PAYMENT INCREASE
MORE SHIELDS
CAPES AND CLOAKS
DOUBLE BARTER MONEY
REZNOD MANNEQUINNS
KEYCHAIN
IMPROVED ANCESTOR GHOST (dunmer ghost levels now)
CITY TRADERS (merchant npc@s hang around outside cities)
DARK LEATHER ARMOUR
SHADOW MAIL
FLAMEGLASS EQUIPMENT
ANDUIL
ASSASSINS BLADE
BLOODEUS UNIQUE STUFF
DRAGONBONE ARMOUR
ALTERNATIVE LIGHT ARMOUR
ARMOUR OF HEAVENS FURY
INCENDITE ARMOUR
HELMET COLLECTION
BOBS ARMOURY
GRIFFIN ARMOUR
EXCALIBUR
SAURONS ARMOUR CHEST
SALLETS (type of fullface german helmet style)
BAG OF HOLDING
OPEN CITIES *causes glitches around anvil and some castles*
LIFE
STEETGANGS
CROWDED CITIES
WEAPON DURABILITY
LIGHT WEAPONS
REALISTIC ARROW FLIGHT
COMBAT BEHAVIOUR
ATTACK AND HIDE
GUILD THEFT BUG
NATURAL ENVIROMENTS 2.0
MARTS MONSTER MOD
NO PYSCHIC GUARDS
PURGE CELL BUFFERS *de-activated use console ¬ "pcb"
DLC HORSE ARMOUR *de-activated conflicts with callsteed*
IMPERIAL HORSE GUARD ARMOUR *de-activated. needs above mod*
CALLSTEED AND SADDLE BAGS
DLC THIEVES DEN
DLC VILE LAIR
DLC MEHRUNES RAZOR
DLC FROSTCRAGG SPIRE
DLC KNIGHTS OF THE NINE

this is not neccassary the only load order you can use. it works for me thats good enough!
note i have a lot of armour mods..... i also have as many again not loaded! i love collecting armour and putting it on armour dummies.

for the unofficial oblivion patch go here;
unofficial patch
it maintains to fix a lot of bugs left over by bethesda from their official patch.

BASIC CHARACTER CREATION & LEVELLING REMARKS

there's always a lot of posts in forums regarding character creation confusion and comments about oblivions "broken" levelling system. here's some basic pointers.

CHARACTER CREATION.

1stly you must decide upon the time period you intend to invest in your character.
if you want a char to take you through the entire game, all guilds and quests you need to make some important decisions.
if you want to create a char for certain questlines or guilds its easier.
longtermers first.
it's imperative you choose a race you feel comftable with and want to role play. remember this is an rpg so if you want to drop yourself into character thats fine.
despite initial character skill bonuses, all skills max out at 100. all attributes max out at 100. birthsigns can give powers you cannot receive anywhere else so these are possibly more important.
*edit* erm what im trying to say (badly!) is despite initial attribute and skill bonuses each race is not finetely capped. ie maybe a woodelf should have strength capped at 80 cos he's only diddy. each race can increase attributes identically so ultimately race affection is of more import than starter bonuses for the long haul *edit*
the attributes and skills you choose in the sewers give you headstarts in those discaplines and are the skills that count to levelling.
if you want a longterm character give thought to your role ideal.
also give thought to the skills you choose. each skill is dictated by an attribute. the attribute is only increased during levelling due to use in its skill discapline. ie strength = blade/block/hand to hand.
to increase strength you need to increase one of its skills.
so ideally you might want a spread of skills that encompass each attribute for levelling.
even more ideally choose a spread of skills that help you through the early levels eg. sneak/marksman and skills that will help you at higher levels eg. destructive magic/illusion/blade or blunt.
a lot of people go with a warrior class then decide they find magic fun but are crippled by low magika.
in this case its wise to choose "mage" or "apprentice" birthsigns to give you a higher magika reserve for later in the game.
if you choose a spread of skills you'll find it takes much longer to level but, your skill spread will stand you in good stead for those hi level daedra.
remember, initial race bonuses are just that. initial. for long term its far more important to concentrate on your ideal race and skills you want to use. if you're in for the long run you'll be gunning to max attributes and skills anyway.
shorttermers.
these are far easier to choose. since your character is created purely for a guild ideal or questline you can choose the race thats ideal and preconceived skills etc to give you maximum advantage to start. typically some people choose a different race for each guild and maybe a maincharacter to dip into now and again.

if you are struggling with your character generation read this UESP WIKI study the character section. it will tell you everything you need to know about choosing races etc to how the maths work.

for testing character attributes and skills try this site; Oblivion CC

for fun, if you want an Elvish character and you're struggling for a name try here; Elvish name generator
my forum name translates to - Arminas Tulcakelume :)

Levelling

a great many people complain about oblivions levelling. there is much you can do about it.
1stly a word on how vanilla oblivion levels and what's broken.
raise major skills by 10 points and you go up a level. simple.
everytime you level you get to choose which attributes you wish to increase. attribute increase level is dictated by the amount you used its skill discapline. eg get 10 blade points and you have the option of +5 strength increase. however, its not normal to achieve 10 skill points in one skill discapline (unless you are chasing the "efficient levelling" method. this works fine, you roll along playing the play until you max out your skill at 100 and find the attribute may be lagging. so how then do you maximize your attributes? erm increase lower skill discaplines and keep choosing +1's for the attribute you wish to take to 100. not great.
thats playing how bethesda intended you too. whilst it can be tricky to get 100 in all attributes it takes many hours and bethesda did'nt really envisage everyone playing to the max.
of course another way to level is by choosing skills you won't use and training them when you see fit. this way the skills you always use don't impact levelling. to level you control which skills you want to train. whilst this may be more effecient to my mind its not really roleplaying.
again refer to the UESP WIKI as that goes very deeply into the levelling system.
finally don't sleep or ever level. up to you.

what most people hate is the fact that as you level everyone else does. hence you may be an uber lvl 50 warrior.... but so's that skanky bandit!
it's not quite so cut and dry.
all npc's level with you.
they may be set above or below, but when you level, they do.
(eg guards are always 10 levels above you. guard captains 15...eeek!)
creatures do not level with you. they are levelled in that they appear when you attain a certain level. eg faded wraith = lvl 10. goblin skirmisher = lvl 6.
a goblin skirmisher will aways be lvl 6 no matter if you are lvl 255.
except.... creature bosses.these DO level with you to provide a challenge. eg Xivilai lvl 20+. Dremora Valkynaz lvl 22+. Lich lvl 23+.
again they only appear when you attain a set level but continue to lvl apace with you.
consider though. you may get annoyed because you've just shut down every oblivion gate, saved the world and are god damn entitled to wear the daedric armour you stole off a dremora's back. why then is that lowlife bandit sporting daedric gear and toting a very enchanted sword???
annoying? yes. but just because he is the same lvl as you does'nt mean he's as good.
bandits use swords and blunts
necromancers use little swords and conjure stuff
dremora just kill you with everything they have!
creatures always use the same attacks

get the picture? you are unique. you may be a master in blade and destruction. a bandit won't be. oh yeah he'll smack you hard with his axe but the minute you cast a spell at him its over.
what im getting at is each npc has a clear and defined role. if you chose a spread of offensive skills you have numerous ways to overcome adversaries whilst they only have their own limited attack style.
look on the bright side. a strol down the road at high levels might get you a ton of expensive loot you gained off of that smoking bandit corpse!

of course if you really hate the levelling system install Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul or any number of levelling mods. (links all above).

finally how to lvl up when you maxed your skills? go to jail.
murder someone (1000 bounty) then spend 10 days in jail. each day a skill goes down at random (unless its sneak or security in which case it goes up +1) this nets you a situation where upon you can re-train the skills that were deducted or you received an increase in sneak/security so you go up a lvl.
if all your attributes are maxed you can't increase them but hell, you can go to lvl 255. its also a way of increasing attributes you can no longer increase due to having a maxed major skill.

PERFORMANCE ISSUES

There's not much i can say here thats not already covered in the TWEAKGUIDE link at the top of this post.
maybe one issue that could be more highlighted within that guide is the common stutter syndome.
everyone suffers it to some extent - even xbox360. it's purely down to the fact that oblivion does'nt rely on loading in new levels or maps (unless you go into a dungeon or city etc). so the data is dynamically loaded into cell buffers. exterior and interior. the tweakguide goes into detail on what values to set these to as no matter what hardware you have, the oblivion.ini always sets them to a default figure. tweaking these values may improve your stutter. i found the single biggest improvement to reduce stutter was a dedicated hard drive. i tested oblivion at various texture/graphical settings with lots of different .ini values. any improvements were inconclusive.
i next fitted a SATA II hdd and moved my pagefile to it and fixed the pagefile values. i then loaded oblivion into its own partition on this disk. the reduction in stutter was instantly noticed. whether it was the pagefile or game being on a seperate disk i don't know. you could even put pagefile/oblivion/OS onto 3 different hdd's if you have them.
i would imagine 2 x raptorX's in RAID 0 for oblivion and seperate fast hdd's for pagefile and OS would be the best configuration (if not a tad pricey!).
regardless, oblivion drinks down data like a chav in happy hour. this is the only method i personally have used that had a really noticeable effect.

The only other issue i can comment on is the blackscreen of death!
you may have experienced it depending on your gfx card. it normally happens when you enter a room and the screen goes black except the 2d toolbar.
i had this trouble and upon investigation found it was only an nvidia 7xxx series card with HDR enabled problem. by using the latest driver (not a beta) the problem was fixed. although others still suffer. i can only opinionate that it is a 7xxx series software issue NOT heat as so many forums seem to blame.
There is a new blackscreen of death since patch 1.2. This one gives no on screen GUI (totally black) with a sound loop. Go to your .ini folder and adjust this command;
iShadowMapResolution=256 to the value of 1024.
That'll fix it.

i have not had any other problems, a search of the official elderscrolls forums or post there will net you solutions. there are many regarding poor codecs etc and sound problems. its normally a teenager with a cheapo rig filled with junk.
a high end rig well setup should have any issues except drivers and maybe stutter. like i said at the beginning of this post. read tweakguide!

TECHNICAL FAQ

there's been a few posts regarding corrupted Oblivion, odd behaviour etc that requires uninstall/install. there is a correct way of uninstalling completely. go to this link to read how along with lots of other troubleshooting tips.
TES IV forum troubleshoot post

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom