Virgin media broadband 20mb upgrade

Associate
Does anyone else think it is a total disgrace that some exisiting customers have to pay for new modems to be able to take advantage of the speed upgrade. I have been a customer for over 15yrs and i would like to think that would count for something. First of all we lose channels but receive no discount or drop in monthy rental prices (actually the price has gone up for bradband) but now we have to pay for a modem if i want one. Im getting tired of "new customers" getting all the discounts, when are they going to reward "loyal customers"

Associate
When are they going to reward loyal customers?? Have you tried phoning them recently? There are HUGE threads all over the net saying how people have phoned and had loads chopped off their bills due to competition from sky etc, have you tried this??

And as for being a loyal customer for over 15 years....

When was ntl founded?
A. ntl's direct predecessor, International CableTel, was founded in 1993

Almost if you were their first customer ;)

Permabanned
teulk said:
Does anyone else think it is a total disgrace that some exisiting customers have to pay for new modems to be able to take advantage of the speed upgrade. I have been a customer for over 15yrs and i would like to think that would count for something. First of all we lose channels but receive no discount or drop in monthy rental prices (actually the price has gone up for bradband) but now we have to pay for a modem if i want one. Im getting tired of "new customers" getting all the discounts, when are they going to reward "loyal customers"

You only have to pay if you want an engineer to fit it for you, otherwise it's free of charge.

Associate
OP
dbailey10 said:
When are they going to reward loyal customers?? Have you tried phoning them recently? There are HUGE threads all over the net saying how people have phoned and had loads chopped off their bills due to competition from sky etc, have you tried this??

And as for being a loyal customer for over 15 years....

When was ntl founded?
A. ntl's direct predecessor, International CableTel, was founded in 1993

Almost if you were their first customer ;)

Sorry make that about 12yrs i was with telewest back in 1995 - which in turn became blueyonder which in turn became virgin

Last edited:
Soldato
seaviewuk said:
That's business :(

Call them and threaten to leave, you might swing a deal :)

I didn't even have to threaten to leave, I just said that I thought it was unfair we were paying around £20 a month more to the deals advertised. The lady lowered the price for TV, phone and BB there and then (from about £70 to under £50).

Permabanned
Soldato
I remember my mum complaining to NTL about a similar thing a year or so back, where new customers were getting a big discount on a particular package. After a brief conversation with someone, we ended up with half price internet for a year just because she bothered to complain :p

Commissario
teulk said:

You don't "have" to pay for the new modem, there is a page on their website that will guide you through a check to see if your current modem can handle the upgrade fine, and let you order a new one free (they send it by post/courier and you plug it in yourself), or for a £25 fee if you need an engineer out.

Compare that to any of the ADSL services and you'll find that they tend to either provide a (generally) very poor modem for free, or if you need an engineer out to install it a much higher charge.

Soldato
hilly said:
Actually you're wrong, the surfboard modems can do up to 38mb, most won't need to be changed.

No actually you're wrong. The 4100 can handle 38mbps over it's WAN interface but only 10 or 15 on the LAN interface. This was clarified by Fergal Butler one of Blueyonder's network architecture dudes.

You can also upgrade your modem for free via the website. Aslong as you'll fit it yourself (which is a piece of ****) then there's no charge.

So...a lot of fuss over nothing.

Commissario
hilly said:
Actually you're wrong, the surfboard modems can do up to 38mb, most won't need to be changed.

IIRC there are 3 or 4 "surfboard" models, and whilst they can all handle 38mb burst speeds (I think it's a basic part of the modem standard), they can't all handle even 10mb consistently due to the connection to the PC being 10mb hald duplex on some models :) (the VM site recommends replacing the motorola 3100 and 4100).

Soldato
Werewolf said:
IIRC there are 3 or 4 "surfboard" models, and whilst they can all handle 38mb burst speeds (I think it's a basic part of the modem standard), they can't all handle even 10mb consistently due to the connection to the PC being 10mb hald duplex on some models :) (the VM site recommends replacing the motorola 3100 and 4100).

It's not burst speed - it's just that they have two different interfaces - LAN and WAN. The WAN interface can do 10-15mbps, whilst the WAN does 38mbps.

J.T

J.T

Soldato
Werewolf said:
Here

If that doesn't work, go to the VM site, "already with us", "up to 20mb broadband" (on the left menu), then there is drop down with the speeds, so select "XL" and click next.

Back
Top Bottom