Virgin media broadband 20mb upgrade

Soldato
Thought it was stange as I have not been upgradded to 20mbs, looks like my modem is not compatible (SA DX100), so ive orderd a new one.

Lucky i saw this thread, never knew about any modem problems.

Soldato
teulk said:
Does anyone else think it is a total disgrace that some exisiting customers have to pay for new modems to be able to take advantage of the speed upgrade. I have been a customer for over 15yrs and i would like to think that would count for something. First of all we lose channels but receive no discount or drop in monthy rental prices (actually the price has gone up for bradband) but now we have to pay for a modem if i want one. Im getting tired of "new customers" getting all the discounts, when are they going to reward "loyal customers"

tell them your leaving and they offer you silly cheap deals

did it to us but we actually where only leaving because we where moving house :p

Man of Honour
andy said:
tell them your leaving and they offer you silly cheap deals

did it to us but we actually where only leaving because we where moving house :p
Read over on the cablehell.co.uk forums and you'll see the VM retentions guys have had their hands cuffed, they aren't allowed to offer much any more. I was on three months half-price everything up until April, now they won't give me the time of day.

As for not being happy - what other ISP is freely giving you a double, 10mbps upgrade? I know at my address I can only get 2Mbps ADSL, if it wasn't for VM I would be stuffed.. okay, they are expensive but per Mbps they are actually quite cheap.

Soldato
Bitching > checking :D

This thread made me smile :)

As far as cable history at least in the North East they were United Artists up till '92 ish, they then became Telewest Communications (green Logo) followed by Telewest Broadband (blue logo), followed by VM. I can't remember exactly when I got my first install (some time round '97) but I remember the re-brand in '92 but I was only about 12 or 13 at the time :D

Soldato
Jihad said:
I'm not gona pay for the new modem if so, and that's because of traffic shaping which can go to hell.
I quite like the traffic shaping to be honest, a snappier connection in the evening because the leeching of TV/Film torrents (surely not - I'm sure people were downloading 100Gb + a month of legit... errrr... stuff) has been throttled works for me.

There's always a few who spoil it for the rest of us.... :D

Associate
gareth170 said:
mostly all of the Cable modems can handle the 20mb upgrade

Actually the inverse is true, most of the cable modems cant handle it :) there replacing a lot of their stock with the new black scientific atlantic. Was speaking to an engineer about it, and they were having some issues sourcing modems. Its mainly the older installs that have crappy modems, but thats a aweful lot of people.

Associate
athanor said:
I quite like the traffic shaping to be honest, a snappier connection in the evening because the leeching of TV/Film torrents (surely not - I'm sure people were downloading 100Gb + a month of legit... errrr... stuff) has been throttled works for me.

There's always a few who spoil it for the rest of us....

Its actually a good point, i was DEAD against any limits, or caps, and always stated i would leave the second they were implemented. That being said, when you investigate how its done, its designed to benefit the vast majority of people, hell i download a fair bit but ive always done it in the dark hours when it effects less people, guess some of their users dont have any concept of consideration.

Soldato
acantril said:
Actually the inverse is true, most of the cable modems cant handle it :) there replacing a lot of their stock with the new black scientific atlantic. Was speaking to an engineer about it, and they were having some issues sourcing modems. Its mainly the older installs that have crappy modems, but thats a aweful lot of people.

but the NTL250 modem should be ok right?

Associate
How long after the regional upgrades is it expected to take to actually put up the speed to homes?

Norwich (part of Peterborough for some reason) is apparently complete yet my modem (Ambit 200) is still at 10mbit.

Soldato
i got my free modem this morning from virgin, it`s the Scientific Atlanta 2100.

look`s abit cheap & tacky but the install went well and only took a few minutes to activate the mac address before i was back online.

Soldato
PieMaster said:
How long after the regional upgrades is it expected to take to actually put up the speed to homes?

Norwich (part of Peterborough for some reason) is apparently complete yet my modem (Ambit 200) is still at 10mbit.

Norwich is on 20meg :) (Golden triangle) Its been that way for several weeks now, so I'd give them a ring TBH.

-Leezer-

Associate
Anyone got probs with the 20mb upgrade and the NTL200 modem ? According to virgin it's capable of it but im not so sure. Having problems reaching 15mbps, nevermind 20

Soldato
Stevenage Hertfordshire 20meg :D :D :D

Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

Back
Top Bottom